Top Shelf Aquatics

How do we fight environmental extremism? (Hawaii ban)

hochunk

39 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Lmao yeah because it takes SOOOOOO much money to run a few water pumps compared to shipping fish :rolleyes:

Water pumps were shipped multiple times. 

1 minute ago, StevieT said:

Water pumps were shipped multiple times. 

But they are already in the United States. Anyway, once you have the pumps they can be used for hundreds if not thousands of fish clutches. 

3 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

But they are already in the United States. Anyway, once you have the pumps they can be used for hundreds if not thousands of fish clutches. 

Maybe the Italian units we sell 

Those Chinese pumps will die faster than a n00b can figure out how a skimmer works. 

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Mazzy21 said:

Except that argument dies with the mere fact that it isn't 1970. Yes, if it were still 1970 when this law was made then you'd have a point - the hobby would be at a stand still. But it isn't 1970. It's 2017 and even the newest hobbiests can frag with relative ease, and there are well established breeders of captive salt water fish. The argument "if this was the past it wouldn't work" doesn't work in my mind.

I haven't seen wild caught/obtained coral in forever, and coral is a different beast, fish cannot be compared as one you cannot frag a fish and secondly fish are more difficult to breed and establish viable breeding groups. The lists I see of captive bred fish is very limited and not everyone in the hobby is into corals, a lot of us keep fish primarily and what I see listed as captive bred are majority clown fish, cardinals, types of gobies and blennies, sea horses and a selection of other small fish. Maybe in the US you all have a better selection, puffers, tangs, larger angel fish, snappers, triggers etc?

There is nothing wrong with wild caught fish when done in a sustainable way, no different then food fisheries really, except fish caught for an aquarium have a better chance at surviving then fish caught for food do.

You can have a sustainable and healthy fishery without creating ruin to the environment.

24 minutes ago, squamptonbc said:

except fish caught for an aquarium have a better chance at surviving then fish caught for food do.

Those are good goals to set for survival rates lol

Also agreed, breeding pelagic spawners on a mass scale is going to be difficult to achieve, especially considering we've somehow messed up clownfish.