Coral Vue Hydros

Low light, low current corals

AlmightyJoshaeus

AlmightyJoshaeus

Hello all! I have a 2.5 gallon pico that I just set up, and while getting corals for it is still several months down the road (I will need to get the cycling started and the macroalgae established first), I would like some thoughts on some lower light and current tolerant corals for it when it is ready. The lighting is two LED strips that combined have 3,360 lumens of light (sadly no PAR reading is available, but they grow freshwater plants competently). They have 50% 10,000K light and most of the rest is 460 nanometer blue light. Since the tank is so small I am hoping to use air pumps to provide circulation...currently has one airline powering what will eventually be a seachem matrix box filter, but will add a second with carbon and fosguard when I get a stronger air pump (funds are tight right now). Thanks!

PS...for those concerned if this would be enough current for anything, I added some brine shrimp into the tank this morning and they DID stay in suspension, slowly circling around the tank. No doubt a second air line would be sufficient...if I am wrong I can always get a filter. Forgive me...I am a newbie, although I did help my mom set up a (still thriving) 10 gallon macroalgae tank.

Discosoma Mushrooms. I had some live and even spread in a bucket with liverock, air pump and only a window as light source, during a 2 month period where I had no tank.

Buttons would probably work aswell, but you might occasionally need blow of dust buildup on them.

• Like 1

Candy Cane

Maze Brain

Acans

Chalice

Can't guarantee that they'll thrive under longer periods, but those I know like low flow.

Either way a pico tank is gonna be hard to maintain for any coral, but if you just change ~50% water once every few days it could work.. maybe..

flatlandreefer

Flow shouldn't be too big of an issue. If you get on live aquaria you can browse corals and it will give you their requirements. Also the pico jar contest going on right now will give you tons of picos to look at and see what everybody is doing. 100% waterchange once a week is what most people are doing to keep things thriving. 

48 minutes ago, flatlandreefer said:

Flow shouldn't be too big of an issue. If you get on live aquaria you can browse corals and it will give you their requirements. Also the pico jar contest going on right now will give you tons of picos to look at and see what everybody is doing. 100% waterchange once a week is what most people are doing to keep things thriving. 

I wouldn't trust liveaquaria. Search forums and check videos on youtube.. Tidal Garden provide good info for individual species.

Also changing all the water at once is a bad idea, unless you test parameters each time to ensure they are similar.

flatlandreefer
9 minutes ago, Sjadet said:

I wouldn't trust liveaquaria. Search forums and check videos on youtube.. Tidal Garden provide good info for individual species.

Also changing all the water at once is a bad idea, unless you test parameters each time to ensure they are similar.

Live aquaria is an accurate source that will give you a general idea of the needs of each coral. And 100% water changes is a proven method by many members on this forum as long as salinity and temperature are the same between the new water and water in the pico. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Sjadet said:

Candy Cane

Maze Brain

Acans

Chalice

Can't guarantee that they'll thrive under longer periods, but those I know like low flow.

Either way a pico tank is gonna be hard to maintain for any coral, but if you just change ~50% water once every few days it could work.. maybe..

Picos are not difficult to maintain.  A few minutes of attention every day and regular water changes and they are fine.  One member here, Brandon, has had a reef going in a vase for over 10 years.

5 hours ago, Sjadet said:

LiveAquaria is widely regarded as an accurate source for information on aquatic species.  For more specific information, one should absolutely read further.  Many picos, including the aforementioned reef vase, and Natalia's reef bowl (which was tank of the month here a few months ago) thrive on 100% water changes.  The main thing to be sure of is to match temp and salinity.  If you've never really kept picos, I can see how you'd think them difficult. :)