Innovative Marine Aquariums

Miracle mud

John L

Is anyone using miracle mud?

After some research / reviews, i decided to try some, and initially put 2.5lb in my reefer 170 sump last night.

8025DE46-309C-4081-BDC7-0D87F475757E.thumb.png.ce523de024ce1bbba94020e3965bc292.pngWoke up this morning to check on tank, lights just on ,it might b placebo effect but I’m getting massive polyp extension, on my montis and other corals.  Chalice looking fuller/ birdsnest hairier etc. 

D41D06FC-85E5-4454-854D-1D9402AFE388.jpeg

I have had a 30G mud / macro refugium for 25 years with a 75G Jaubert Plenum on top.

If your corals responded in that manner in less than 12 hours, then it is truely miracle mud.  My use of mud refugiums was to grow worms that eat detritus and reproduced to become a live food supply to filter feeders.  That can’t happen overnight.

one possible explanation is that your corals were iron deprived and that miracle mud is high in iron content.

Pictures of 25 year old set up with mud refugium.  Three months ago, “I turned out the lights” on macro refugium and made it a cryptic zone filter.  Three weeks ago, I received a beautiful Chilli Coral that was “flying his feathers” while in the shipping bag and remained that way during transfer to tank.  I went to bed with a very big smile on my face and like a kid on Christmas morning, when I woke I rushed to peak into tank with my new toy, a red led flashlight to give me X-Ray vision.  To my horror, the rock ledge for Chilli shade had been dislodged by “bulldozers at work”, the urchins. 

Chilli has doubled in size since going to the “cryptic hospital”.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Subsea said:

I have had a 30G mud / macro refugium for 25 years with a 75G Jaubert Plenum on top.

If your corals responded in that manner in less than 12 hours, then it is truely miracle mud.  My use of mud refugiums was to grow worms that eat detritus and reproduced to become a live food supply to filter feeders.  That can’t happen overnight.

one possible explanation is that your corals were iron deprived and that miracle mud is high in iron content.

Pictures of 25 year old set up with mud refugium.  Three months ago, “I turned out the lights” on macro refugium and made it a cryptic zone filter.  Three weeks ago, I received a beautiful Chilli Coral that was “flying his feathers” while in the shipping bag and remained that way during transfer to tank.  I went to bed with a very big smile on my face and like a kid on Christmas morning, when I woke I rushed to peak into tank with my new toy, a red led flashlight to give me X-Ray vision.  To my horror, the rock ledge for Chilli shade had been dislodged by “bulldozers at work”, the urchins. 

Chilli has doubled in size since going to the “cryptic hospital”.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Very nice tank. Love the gsp on back wall.  Since changing to aquaforest components 1,2,3* alk,mag and trace elements, I had 7 small clumps of gsp, they almost all died.  I ended up taking it out and to my lfs to save it. Everything else is doing well, a mystery. 

My amazing polyp extension was prob just wishful thinking! I’m adding some more mud later, working by the instructions and space I have available.  

Do u change 50% per year as per or just let it go longer? 

My tanks mainly sps/lps if I can get more critters cleaning /feeding the tank the better!  

05BD676C-BBF3-4437-85DB-B491A742262C.png

No, I do not change out Miracle Mud as prescribed.  IMO, miracle mud is oolite  sand that is high in iron.    

I bought system used with Miracle Mud already in it.  I changed nothing.  Over a 24 year period, the mud filter increased in depth from 1” to 1.5” , it felt spongy to the touch and was crawling with worms,

sand bed bed detrivores will reproduce to food supply and they will feed live larvae to filter feeders.  My favorite detrivores include bristle worms, mini starfish, Cerith snails and pods

That’s interesting to know, thanks.  I have what I think is a good population of bristleworms ,starfish, brittlestars etc and Copepods in my main tank and sump area, hopefully it will give them another home/ boost.    I’m putting some more miracle mud in, shortly!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

It sounds like your tanks biological filter is mature.  The more diverse micro fauna and fana then the more diverse the live food size is for differrent filter feeders.

• Thanks 1