Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

royal Gramma behaviors changed

brianinak

I have had a Royal Gramma for a about 3 week + weeks now.  Frist first days he hide out in the rocks.  Then became a very visible active part of tank, I was pleasantly surprised.  Yesterday and today has returned to buring self in rocks.  Did come out to eat and then returned to his "man cave".    I have read that RGs are often in the rock work but his behavior has changed.  It may coincide with change in power head placement.  Same flow rate but different pattern and different angle.  Trying to get ride of dead spots. 

Think I might be looking for reassurance that he is ok.  Have other's seen change in fish behaviors such as this?  Look good when I can see him.  

Water params good, best they have been

Sorry for your loss. I have had the same luck with royal grammas. In the wild they live under coral overhangs usually swimming upside down. I recently purchased a yellow assesor and he is doing well so far, not relevant to your problem but they are in a similar group of basslets. Do you keep other fish with him? Unfortunately many  marine fish are wild caught and just can't handle the stress. Is your tank well established?

The hardest part for royal grammas seems to be getting them established and over the initial shyness. Mine was incredibly shy at first but over time become pretty bold, inquisitive, and quite pushy with my clowns  but sadly he ended up carpet surfing. I would recommend using a QT next time.

side note: mine did not seem to like higher flow at all,  it always seeked out lower flow areas to hang out and became much more  active around the tank when pumps were off for feeding or water changes.

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 7:29 AM, jambon said:

Sorry for your loss. I have had the same luck with royal grammas. In the wild they live under coral overhangs usually swimming upside down. I recently purchased a yellow assesor and he is doing well so far, not relevant to your problem but they are in a similar group of basslets. Do you keep other fish with him? Unfortunately many  marine fish are wild caught and just can't handle the stress. Is your tank well established?

He was kept with two clowns, cleaner shrimp and various snails.  Tank is pretty young.  At day 120ish now.  

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 8:13 AM, jesseatam said:

The hardest part for royal grammas seems to be getting them established and over the initial shyness. Mine was incredibly shy at first but over time become pretty bold, inquisitive, and quite pushy with my clowns  but sadly he ended up carpet surfing. I would recommend using a QT next time.

side note: mine did not seem to like higher flow at all,  it always seeked out lower flow areas to hang out and became much more  active around the tank when pumps were off for feeding or water changes.

He was shy first few days, but after that very visible and active part of tank.  I did move the powerhead, but there was enough room in the tank to get away from the flow.  Other fish still appear healthy.