SaltCritters.com

Should I worry about my Ca level?

Swifty3565

Hi everyone.  My BC32 is coming up on the 60day mark.  27lbs of live rock, 20lbs arag-alive sand.  RODI for 10% water changes weekly using Reef crystals.  Live stock at this time include Ocellaris clown, Bengaii cardinal, cleaner shrimp, emerald crab, and a couple of snails.  1 green toadstool, 3 small zoa frags, a frag of green galaxia and some dragons breath.  Current water parameters are;

11/17 Friday 08:13 AM
Temperature: 78.1 °F
pH: 8.0 
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 5.0 ppm
Phosphate: 0.25 ppm
Salinity: 1.025 SG
Alkalinity: 9 dKH
Calcium: 320 ppm
TDS: 0 ppm
My question is should I be concerned about the Ca level at this time or is it just not that important with my bio load and current choice of livestock?  If I should do something to raise it what are the easiest suggestions?

Thanks

Mike

flatlandreefer

I would double check your test results, that seems very low considering you are using reef crystals and none of your corals that you listed should be using much if any calcium.

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick reply flatlandreefer.  I have considered that.  I am using an API kit and I am having some difficulty distinguishing the endpoint color.  I will try again now and see what I come up with, although I have been seeing a range between 300 and 340 consistently.

I just re-ran the test and had my daughter (much better eyes) check and she also agreed with the 320 number.  I suppose a new test kit is next up.  Thanks.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Swifty3565 said:

Thanks for the quick reply flatlandreefer.  I have considered that.  I am using an API kit and I am having some difficulty distinguishing the endpoint color.  I will try again now and see what I come up with, although I have been seeing a range between 300 and 340 consistently.

even on the api test kit, if you're using reef crystals and your salinity is 1.025, you should get a pretty drastic change from pink to purple at 21 - 22 drops.  It's not subtle.  As for purple vs. blue who knows, I figure one drop beyond.  Make sure you shake things up pretty well, including your bottle number 2. Tap it on the counter a little. but give it a good shake. 

I've used ca test kits salifert, red sea, and api.

The results from all 3 were within a few ppm of each other...they also all have the same colour change pink to dark blue.

• Like 1

Wait what? I've used CA test kits from both Salifert and API.

It's far from a few PPM from each other.

API's CA test kits are in increments of 20's, so 380, 400, 420 PPM etc...

Whereas, Salifert's CA test kits are in increments of 10's, so 380, 390, 400, 410 PPM etc...

Then if you factor in the margin of +/- in accuracy. So with API's CA test, you have a ball park of where you are at, either lower or higher end.

Whereas, Salifert's it's more precise, like am I in the lower, mid, or higher end?

I guess it depends on what your application is with the test kits in relations to your tank.

But I personally would not recommend API's test kits to beginners.

13 hours ago, Nart said:

Wait what? I've used CA test kits from both Salifert and API.

It's far from a few PPM from each other.

API's CA test kits are in increments of 20's, so 380, 400, 420 PPM etc...

Whereas, Salifert's CA test kits are in increments of 10's, so 380, 390, 400, 410 PPM etc...

Then if you factor in the margin of +/- in accuracy. So with API's CA test, you have a ball park of where you are at, either lower or higher end.

Whereas, Salifert's it's more precise, like am I in the lower, mid, or higher end?

I guess it depends on what your application is with the test kits in relations to your tank.

But I personally would not recommend API's test kits to beginners.

Yes I know that. My results using any of the 3 kits were never that far off the mark.

Api - 420 

Salifert - 425

Red sea - 425

• Like 1
flatlandreefer
1 hour ago, Swifty3565 said:

I guess I will start by getting a different test kit and then continue from there.  Thanks for all the input everyone.

Let us know what you find, it could be a bad batch of salt who knows.