Innovative Marine Aquariums

Seachem Tidal 55

panda_jerk

hey guys I just wanted to give some props for my new power filter. I know most people here have either AIO or sump reefs, nut I think we can all appreciate a good piece of equipment. I couldn't be happier with the Sea Chem Tidal. by far the best HOB power filter I've ever used.  one of the coolest features is how the water is directed through the stem and through a surface skimmer. You can change the water flow to allow more water to be drawn from the surface than the bottom of the tank. for some one who hasn't taken the step to obtain a more advanced system this is really cool.  also the large media basket  I am running matrix, seagel, and purigen in there with room for other stuff if I wanted. not saying I would but I could.  also there is a bright blue 'I'm dirty" indicator on top so you can rinse the sponge out before it gets really bad.  any way I just thought I would share  its a great buy.

• Like 3

I use this filter on my fresh tank and hands down the best hob filter on the market right now in my view. Seems to also overall be built better then the aqua clears and the surface skimmer is a nice addition as is the self priming, no need to fill the filter up with water after water changes to get it going again...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Happy to hear positive things about Seachem Tidal filters!  I have done hours of research lately on this vs. AquaClear filters (and a couple of other options) as I look to update/change my equipment setup.  

I completely agree the black plastic used in Tidal filters is the more durable of the two and the surface skimmer "feature" is awesome and highly desirable.  I have a surface skimmer (Eheim 350) currently but it takes up a decent amount of space and I would like something with a space footprint.  

My issue is that the intake pipe (which contains the surface skimmer) also houses the pump so it sticks way down into the tank.  I have a 5.5 gallon so I am wondering if the overly large (compared to other hand on back filters) pipe is super noticeable/distracting/detracting for those of you who have it?  

I am all but set on using a separate skimmer (super simple, small diameter pipe) that connects to a hang on back filter.  AquaClear does not seem to be made of high of quality as they used to be and that clear style plastic gives me pause (compared to opaque black type) in terms of long run performance.  Sicce pumps have a far better reputation than whatever AquaClear uses (from what I can tell through research) and I do not know if I need the extra large size the AquaClear offers (over the Tidal) as I all I need it to do it move water, house a heater, and a bit of mechanical (floss based) filtration.  

Sorry if I hijacked the threat a bit, but I am really interested in what you folks think of the Tidal and the "big" intake pipe.  

Thanks!

--Superdave

7 minutes ago, Superdave said:

Happy to hear positive things about Seachem Tidal filters!  I have done hours of research lately on this vs. AquaClear filters (and a couple of other options) as I look to update/change my equipment setup.  

I completely agree the black plastic used in Tidal filters is the more durable of the two and the surface skimmer "feature" is awesome and highly desirable.  I have a surface skimmer (Eheim 350) currently but it takes up a decent amount of space and I would like something with a space footprint.  

My issue is that the intake pipe (which contains the surface skimmer) also houses the pump so it sticks way down into the tank.  I have a 5.5 gallon so I am wondering if the overly large (compared to other hand on back filters) pipe is super noticeable/distracting/detracting for those of you who have it?  

I am all but set on using a separate skimmer (super simple, small diameter pipe) that connects to a hang on back filter.  AquaClear does not seem to be made of high of quality as they used to be and that clear style plastic gives me pause (compared to opaque black type) in terms of long run performance.  Sicce pumps have a far better reputation than whatever AquaClear uses (from what I can tell through research) and I do not know if I need the extra large size the AquaClear offers (over the Tidal) as I all I need it to do it move water, house a heater, and a bit of mechanical (floss based) filtration.  

Sorry if I hijacked the threat a bit, but I am really interested in what you folks think of the Tidal and the "big" intake pipe.  

Thanks!

--Superdave

I didn't find the tidal took up anymore room than my aquaclear. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I didn't find the tidal took up anymore room than my aquaclear. 

How wide is the intake portion?  It sure looks much bigger than the intake pipe of typical filters?  Maybe I am looking at the pictures incorrectly, but the part that houses the pump (just below the intake/skimmer part) looks to be a couple inches wide at least.  

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2019 at 2:54 PM, Superdave said:

Thanks!

--Superdave

You may want to take a peek at the smaller 35 - it has no intake pipe and pulls water completely from the skimmer.  I picked one up at my LFS and have it on a 29g, and it works great!  Here is a link to measurements so you can see how it will fit.

21 hours ago, stevejo said:

You may want to take a peek at the smaller 35 - it has no intake pipe and pulls water completely from the skimmer.  I picked one up at my LFS and have it on a 29g, and it works great!  Here is a link to measurements so you can see how it will fit.

Thanks for the idea @stevejo!  I ended up going with the AC70 as I did not like the fact the Tidal has such a large (relatively speaking) intake "area" due to the pump and skimmer feature incorporated into it.  I have a 5.5 gallon, so for me the goal was to remove as much visible "equipment" out of the display area as possible.  If I had a large tank, I am pretty sure I would have gone with the Tidal.