SaltCritters.com

Soft Coral Selection Advice

questionablereefing

questionablereefing

Because of personal taste, and care requirements, I chose to go with a soft coral only 5.5g tank. 

The corals include:

-Toadstools

-Xenia

-GSP

-Clove Polyps

and the elephant in the room... Blue Clove Polyps. 

As for tank space, there is one big arch, with three islands close to it. Would the corals work if seperated? Is it possible to grow corals to cover the back without bothering any other corals? Thanks :)) 

Thrassian Atoll

You can put the gsp or Xenia on the back wall and let it cover it.  I would keep the gsp and Xenia on its own island if you can.  They grow quick.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, questionablereefing said:

Is it in the nature of either corals to "extend" themselves and colonize a new area of the tank?

they spread and can cover an area quickly. My 1-2" Xenia has more then quadrupled in size since I got in August.

Thrassian Atoll

I don't think they are like a free floater or anything.  Both just grow out from center of the colony.  It's easy for xenia to break though I think and spread.  My buddies tank has it everywhere.

1 hour ago, TILTON said:

I don't think they are like a free floater or anything.  Both just grow out from center of the colony.  It's easy for xenia to break though I think and spread.  My buddies tank has it everywhere.

Yea my Xenia spreads easily. I've been lucky that it just crawls around the rocks and has stuck to one area. The Nepthea (Kenya tree) I have drops branches every now and then; I have about 5 separate pieces growing throughout the tank.

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll
1 minute ago, Lugmos12 said:

Yea my Xenia spreads easily. I've been lucky that it just crawls around the rocks and has stuck to one area. The Nepthea (Kenya tree) I have drops branches every now and then; I have about 5 separate pieces growing throughout the tank.

I just grabbed a Kenya tree for my small tank, and a branch is pinched about to fall off.

Xenia spreads by attaching itself to another item or if a piece breaks apart and floats to another destination. It's also very easy to remove from the tank. 

It grows well on the back wall and looks really pretty. Once again, very easy to remove from glass.

All those corals will look nice together

• Like 1