Innovative Marine Aquariums

Laj's 10 --> A Long Overdue Update + photo dump

YaBoyLaj

You can glue macro to a rock but in my experience the glue will usually just burn the macro and it will float away. My best method is to wedge it with small rubble rock. I have never had a macro take root when glued down.

Tank is looking good :)

• Like 3

Cool tank concept. You need more FTS!

Depending on the macro, you can use rubber bands to hold it on while the holdfasts grow into the pores of the rock.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input guys! But more bad news! Came home today to find my led bulb on the left side off, but the gooseneck said it was on, nothing seemed to be wrong and it worked fine with other lights, idk whats happening with this tank, but i don't think it likes me :unsure: As a precaution, I added the ugly sea star strip back on to keep the macros and corals happy but I want it to be as temporary as possible. Would anyone have any lighting suggestions? It's 20.5" long and 10.5" wide. I was looking at this https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/e100-macroalgae-led-light-zetlight.html but it wouldn't hit the outer edges of the tank or some coralife LED strip or something similar. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

3 hours ago, Cintax said:

Cool tank concept. You need more FTS!

Depending on the macro, you can use rubber bands to hold it on while the holdfasts grow into the pores of the rock.

I know, i've been lousy with them :P I'll get a good one when I get a decent light on it

4 hours ago, got2envy said:

You can glue macro to a rock but in my experience the glue will usually just burn the macro and it will float away. My best method is to wedge it with small rubble rock. I have never had a macro take root when glued down.

Tank is looking good :)

Thanks! That's actually what I ended up doing with the red grape and they seem to have taken well to it! 

On 1/31/2018 at 12:02 PM, ThePaontedFrogfish said:

So I spent the majority of last night working on all 3 of my tanks, lots of issues, but was able to get them functioning pretty well. Today I'll be picking up some Kent products for dosing (trace & iron) and will also be adding a small rio powerhead for some extra flow towards the bottom of the system. The AC20 does an incredible job and has already amassed a large collection of crap in the sponges and carbon. I feel like carbon really defeats the purpose of having macros as it takes up the nutrients they need to thrive. So today I'll be swapping the stock 3 stage for my trusty classic cut to fit black filter sponge and filterwatte and see how that works!

I enjoyed reading the complete thread.  First, glad that you got rid of the protein skimmer.  It removes food for your reef.  I am surprised that AC 20 is powerful enough for the 10G.

Your concept of GAC and macro is skewed.  The word nutrient is very vague.  Let me be specific.  Nitrate & phosphate are inorganic nutrients dissolved in the water.  GAC will not remove nitrate or phosphate.  GAC will remove dissolved organic carbon , DOC, from the water column.  Earth is a carbon based planet.  Everything that grows will have carbon/nitrogen/phosphorus in the Redfield Ratio of 106/16/1.  

So,  macro assimilates inorganic nutrients & minerals to grow.  As a respiration process, macros give off DOC, which will fuel bacteria.  GAC absorbs DOC.

On 2/1/2018 at 1:39 PM, Subsea said:

I enjoyed reading the complete thread.  First, glad that you got rid of the protein skimmer.  It removes food for your reef.  I am surprised that AC 20 is powerful enough for the 10G.

Your concept of GAC and macro is skewed.  The word nutrient is very vague.  Let me be specific.  Nitrate & phosphate are inorganic nutrients dissolved in the water.  GAC will not remove nitrate or phosphate.  GAC will remove dissolved organic carbon , DOC, from the water column.  Earth is a carbon based planet.  Everything that grows will have carbon/nitrogen/phosphorus in the Redfield Ratio of 106/16/1.  

So,  macro assimilates inorganic nutrients & minerals to grow.  As a respiration process, macros give off DOC, which will fuel bacteria.  GAC absorbs DOC.

well I'll be damned

So more and more this tank makes me want to pull the plug on all my tanks, Damsel died this morning and after a test of the parameters everything checked out except the Ph is running high 7s and there is a bit of ammonia, around .25 ppm. The lights are still shit and I've completely lost any drive to continue with this hobby... fun day

• Sad 1
24 minutes ago, ThePaontedFrogfish said:

So more and more this tank makes me want to pull the plug on all my tanks, Damsel died this morning and after a test of the parameters everything checked out except the Ph is running high 7s and there is a bit of ammonia, around .25 ppm. The lights are still shit and I've completely lost any drive to continue with this hobby... fun day

Ahh, I am sorry.  You should keep your equipment though because its possible you will get the bug again.  Sometimes a break is just what the doctor ordered to help rekindle the passion later on.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, vlangel said:

Ahh, I am sorry.  You should keep your equipment though because its possible you will get the bug again.  Sometimes a break is just what the doctor ordered to help rekindle the passion later on.

haha thanks vlangel :happy: the bug did kinda bite me yesterday evening while I was doing a large w/c on the 10. I figured that I just need to focus on keeping the tanks optimal regardless of cost. I'll be getting a new light... again (I was just getting what came to mind) and just be keeping up on water changes and very slight dosing. This is the tank I've wanted for a while, so I'm not gonna just give up on it when the first issue pops up. Thankfully the spike was small and the ammonia levels are back down where they need to be. Granted, this tank has really tested my patience but I love the hobby too much, it's the only thing that keeps me sane... most of the time :D

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ThePaontedFrogfish said:

haha thanks vlangel :happy: the bug did kinda bite me yesterday evening while I was doing a large w/c on the 10. I figured that I just need to focus on keeping the tanks optimal regardless of cost. I'll be getting a new light... again (I was just getting what came to mind) and just be keeping up on water changes and very slight dosing. This is the tank I've wanted for a while, so I'm not gonna just give up on it when the first issue pops up. Thankfully the spike was small and the ammonia levels are back down where they need to be. Granted, this tank has really tested my patience but I love the hobby too much, it's the only thing that keeps me sane... most of the time :D

I am happy to hear all that.  It can be very discouraging when things just are not going well but it can be just as exhilarating when they are going super well.  Nothing like rollercoaster reefing!

• Like 1

Ok so I'm sitting here looking at lights, forums and websites and I'm coming up more clueless than when I came into it. Which lights/light would you guys recommend, I know I've asked before but I want this to be the final light purchase I have to make. LED, Mini T5 fixture. Right now I have 2 spiral compact fluorescent lights 60 w at 6500k which keep the macro's color and the few corals that are in there happy. The issue I'lm having is I feel like the red macros aren't getting the spectrum they need... plus it's ugly :D 

Ok so I made a move and ordered an a80 tuna blue. I'm aware the macros would've done better under the PC lights but they are so. damn. ugly. I decided that along with macros I will be starting a collection of zoanthids as they are fairly cheap and I have easy access to nice ones. So hopefully within the coming weeks I can get this tank to full potential!

• Like 1
On 2/3/2018 at 5:21 PM, ThePaontedFrogfish said:

Hey saw the FTS on P1 and it looks really nice.   Too bad you're having troubles.  How long was the dead damsel in the tank before you tested?  Seems odd to have any ammonia, even with a recent death, in an established tank.  

Anyways, congrats on the light order - should improve the appearance dramatically!

My advice:

- IMO macro tanks are beautiful!  Excited to see yours develop.  Still - I think a lot of people think that once you add macros they just start growing right away with all the nutrients in the water.  While that may certainly happen to some it's bound to taper off.  Think of it this way - in addition to growing corals you're also trying to grow macro algaes.  Coral farmer and underwater gardener lol.  Seriously though - think about what the nutrient uptake requirements are for a tank with both soft corals and macro algaes!  In this case some successful aquarists actually dose fertilizers to keep everything growing!  And don't forget that algaes also require other minerals like iron and also access to enough co2.  

- Take a step back and realize that creating a reef tank is a process. Stocking a recently set up tank IMO is far from maximizing it's potential.  To maximize potential you have to go through the learning process and know what works and what doesn't.  As you have, everyone has some setbacks.  Learn from them and change the way you do things and you'll be successful.  Work hard and stay diligent with your maintenance.  If you feel you'll be limited by something like funds or time then set your expectations in-line with the care you'll be able to provide.

Good luck! 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, ajmckay said:

Hey saw the FTS on P1 and it looks really nice.   Too bad you're having troubles.  How long was the dead damsel in the tank before you tested?  Seems odd to have any ammonia, even with a recent death, in an established tank.  

Anyways, congrats on the light order - should improve the appearance dramatically!

My advice:

- IMO macro tanks are beautiful!  Excited to see yours develop.  Still - I think a lot of people think that once you add macros they just start growing right away with all the nutrients in the water.  While that may certainly happen to some it's bound to taper off.  Think of it this way - in addition to growing corals you're also trying to grow macro algaes.  Coral farmer and underwater gardener lol.  Seriously though - think about what the nutrient uptake requirements are for a tank with both soft corals and macro algaes!  In this case some successful aquarists actually dose fertilizers to keep everything growing!  And don't forget that algaes also require other minerals like iron and also access to enough co2.  

- Take a step back and realize that creating a reef tank is a process. Stocking a recently set up tank IMO is far from maximizing it's potential.  To maximize potential you have to go through the learning process and know what works and what doesn't.  As you have, everyone has some setbacks.  Learn from them and change the way you do things and you'll be successful.  Work hard and stay diligent with your maintenance.  If you feel you'll be limited by something like funds or time then set your expectations in-line with the care you'll be able to provide.

Good luck! 

Thanks! Really means a lot! Turns out the ammonia test was expired... I didn't check the date my b :P I've been dosing Iron, Trace and magnesium in very small doses along with frequent but small w/cs and everything seems to be growing slowly but surly!

So the macro tank is actually doing great! The caulerpa is taking off so I will need to start trimming it. The A80 should arrive on tuesday and I am very happy about that, no more ugly PC bulbs :) I will be going to the Love Aquarium tomorrow, a small hole in the wall shop but they have some great prices and some interesting frags + macros! And on Sunday may be heading back to AquaSD, so the tank should have some new inhabitants in the coming days!

• Like 1

So it was a pretty eventful weekend! Snagged a nice green fungia and some dragons breath and they're doing great! New lights are arriving thursday (I returned the a80) the spread wasn't desirable, but the new light is perfect! I'll put a pic when it arrives :P but for now, here she is!

• Like 2