Pod Your Reef

Lula Mae's "Make a Wish" IM 14 peninsula--tank came down today. RIP

Lula_Mae

7 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I am thinking about buying live rock to add diversity back too. In my last move a few years back my rock was stored in a dark tub and lost most everything except the bacteria. 

Yeah I had some I kept in a bucket for awhile. When I moved up north and wasn't taking it with me, I finally pulled it out to dry. I'm looking forward to critters and hitchhikers again. Would be just my luck to get a mantis or something lol. 

• Like 1

Heard a knock on the door. Went to investigate. Oh, it's UPS! Box on the porch! 

That's a big box! Hmm, what could it be?

20190117_155220.thumb.jpg.a6f9b1f93c6a9a3a5ad5420e68508920.jpg

Oh, it's a tank! Hooray!!!

20190117_155459.thumb.jpg.8429a18b8038c0cd1ad6b2cacdb5492b.jpg

It's so nice looking! No cracks that I can see, either.

20190117_155546.thumb.jpg.0ffc39280978612051979faf173250a4.jpg

It's a Mr. Aqua 7.5 gallon bowfront tank. Gonna do leak test tonight and then figure out where to put it- currently working on reconfiguring my office/spare room, where all the tanks are. 

• Like 5

Welp, tank is down, sort of. I treated the top left rock for bubble algae and set up the 5.5, put the right hand rock and the top left rock in there and moved everything over. I'd picked up a little drawer organizer made of plastic and filled it with sand for the walking dendro. Merlin may not forgive me for the shock of being awakened so rudely and moved over lol. I need to finish emptying the tank after I sift through the sand for snails. Then I can rearrange things in here and make it more workable. 

Final FTS:20190117_193509.thumb.jpg.57dfda6bea4c99b5fc93ebc9f3f010ff.jpg

5.5:

20190117_233304.thumb.jpg.58a7d7bb71e7f54ce7a47ee2001b4527.jpg

I'll probably remove one of the rocks, but one has a cabbage leather attached and one has gorg frags attached so I'll have to remove those. 

RIP IM14. Thanks for the memories. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
On 1/16/2019 at 1:04 AM, Lula_Mae said:

Thanks, me too.  I think going smaller is the right call for me right now.  And it looks like KPA now sells their live rock shipped overnight in 5 pound increments, starting at 10 pounds, so I may go with that to preserve as much life as possible.  Otherwise just working on pulling together equipment for the new tank!  Hopefully I can beat down some of these pests and not have to deal with them in the future, or at least not have them be a problem like they are now.

Nice new mr aqua!! I just checked out the KPA website, and their LR looks amazing! Jealous that you guys get options like that down there! Really think LR is the way to go. My pico contest jar is still running, and I started with LR and it has none of the algae/dino issues, even when I change the water once every 3 months... 

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Heard a knock on the door. Went to investigate. Oh, it's UPS! Box on the porch! 

That's a big box! Hmm, what could it be?

20190117_155220.thumb.jpg.a6f9b1f93c6a9a3a5ad5420e68508920.jpg

Oh, it's a tank! Hooray!!!

20190117_155459.thumb.jpg.8429a18b8038c0cd1ad6b2cacdb5492b.jpg

It's so nice looking! No cracks that I can see, either.

20190117_155546.thumb.jpg.0ffc39280978612051979faf173250a4.jpg

It's a Mr. Aqua 7.5 gallon bowfront tank. Gonna do leak test tonight and then figure out where to put it- currently working on reconfiguring my office/spare room, where all the tanks are. 

I love the 7.5! Sooooo cute!

• Like 1

Bummed to see the IM14 coming down.  I really liked mine...but I know you like the picos!  I’ve always liked that Mr Aqua tank.l so I’m looking forward to seeing it come together!

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Tamberav said:

wow! That was fast! My stuff sits around forever before I finally get to it 😛

Haha it's usually the same for me, I think it helps that I've been thinking about this for months.  I still have to take the tank all the way down but that'll have to wait as I'm working this weekend.

3 hours ago, Orangutran said:

Nice new mr aqua!! I just checked out the KPA website, and their LR looks amazing! Jealous that you guys get options like that down there! Really think LR is the way to go. My pico contest jar is still running, and I started with LR and it has none of the algae/dino issues, even when I change the water once every 3 months...

Thanks!  KPA, Gulf Live Rock, and Tampa Bay Saltwater are all great choices, I just want something easy and delivered to my door as the airport is an hour away through city traffic lol.  I'm feeling the same way, I never had dinos or cyano before with live rock, and bubble algae and hair algae were pretty easy to control.  I think live rock has a certain je ne sais quoi that hasn't been identified that really helps with balance.

3 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

I love the 7.5! Sooooo cute!

Thanks!  It really is, it's just a little bigger than the 5.5 is and so pretty!  It's one of the tanks I considered back in the spring before I realized I had a coupon I could use on the IM14.  Had it not been for the coupon I might've gone for it sooner!

1 hour ago, SeaFurn said:

Bummed to see the IM14 coming down.  I really liked mine...but I know you like the picos!  I’ve always liked that Mr Aqua tank.l so I’m looking forward to seeing it come together!

Me too, it's a pretty tank and I was hopeful it would be my tricked-out dream tank, but it wasn't to be right now.  I'm undecided on selling or keeping it yet, if I keep it I can set it up sometime in the future, if I sell it, I can buy nice equipment sooner.  Decisions, decisions...

My husband's on his way back from the emergency vet with Violet since I have to leave for work shortly.  She was making sort of wheezing noises when she breathed and loud squeaky noises when I picked her up, and I was super worried about her having a respiratory infection or something.  Thankfully she checked out perfectly, nothing wrong that she could see and the vet said she seems to be just vocalizing for whatever reason.  So glad my Princess Pricklepants is ok!  Although it did cost a pretty penny to be seen... :bling:

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2019 at 8:38 PM, Tamberav said:

Updates? 😛

Also how that little green finger frag fairing?

Thanks for checking in. It's plugging along, growing a bit and looking awesome. :smilie: I haven't done anything else with the tank yet. I haven't even leak tested. Merlin disappeared shortly after I transferred everything into the 5.5. :tears:  And this morning...

• Sad 6
6 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Thanks for checking in. It's plugging along, growing a bit and looking awesome. :smilie: I haven't done anything else with the tank yet. I haven't even leak tested. Merlin disappeared shortly after I transferred everything into the 5.5. :tears:  And this morning...

Oh no. 😞

so sorry. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Heres some good vibes ~~~~~~~~~~

❤️

Thanks, I will take them. :happy:

6 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Sorry for your loss 😞

6 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Aw no! I'm so sorry to hear about Violet. I actually peeked in on this thread last night hoping for an update - hope you're doing ok.

:flower:

Thanks, guys. I am doing ok, just sad.  She went from running like a mad hog in her wheel to barely eating and moving in a few days and I couldn't get her into a vet in time. :sad:

• Sad 4
  • 1 month later...

Guys!!! It's wet!!!  I finally got water into the bowfront!  I'll probably start a new thread for it and link it here, but later because my phone is in the other room and I'm too tired to get it for pics lol.  But yay it's wet!

• Like 7
fishfreak0114

I’m really sorry to hear about Violet 😭❤️

I cant wait to see the new tank!!  Sorry I missed so much 😆

• Like 1
WV Reefer
5 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Guys!!! It's wet!!!  I finally got water into the bowfront!  I'll probably start a new thread for it and link it here, but later because my phone is in the other room and I'm too tired to get it for pics lol.  But yay it's wet!

Yay!!!!! omgomgomg

• Like 1