Pod Your Reef

Lula Mae's "Make a Wish" IM 14 peninsula--tank came down today. RIP

Lula_Mae

Sorry I've been MIA for a few days, I have been working a fair bit of overtime this week.  Whew!  So Thursday evening before I left for work, I put in what I thought (following directions) was enough ammonia to get it to 2 ppm but it turned out to be 4 ppm and when I tested nitrites they were at 1.  Oops!  The next day I tested and ammonia had gone down (don't remember what to) and nitrites were still at 1.  I tested Saturday and ammonia was 0!  And I don't remember nitrites.  Then yesterday I tested and both ammonia and nitrites were 0!  Hooray!  I put in what I thought would be enough drops for 2 ppm but by the time I got it tested it said 1 so I'm not sure lol.  That was late yesterday afternoon.  Today I will test all 3 parameters this afternoon and if ammonia and nitrites have both reached 0, I will do a big water change and try some test corals!  Guess I should figure out my lights lol.  I have also seen what I thought were some diatoms on the sand even while the ammonia and nitrites were still present. 

tl;dr bottled bacteria is awesome for cycling. :lol:

• Like 6
  • 4 weeks later...

Guess who finally got that 100% water change done to get rid of off the chart nitrates?

This gal. :D

Got some fluconazole to use on my 5.5 before I start moving stuff over.  Soon!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2017 at 6:43 AM, cfaye@Delaware said:

I always enjoy watching new tanks come around, esp the smaller ones. This one will be very nice.....room to work with.....

Thanks!  I've wanted to try this for a long time.  Liking it a lot so far!

On the day before Christmas Eve, I woke up and came into the living room to find a bag floating in the tank, I asked "What's in my tank?" and my husband pretended he had no idea what I was referring to.  I went over and inside the bag (from a fish store) was a piece of paper...he'd gotten me a gift certificate to my favorite reef store!  I was so excited!  Yesterday we got a chance to go and I found a couple zoas for the jar and a blue coral banded shrimp, also for the jar, and for this tank...a teeny little green fox coral!  I've never seen one in person, it was so cute!  I got a couple pics but then I added a few things from the other tanks so now I need new pics lol.  So the tank has coral, hooray!

• Like 8
On 12/28/2017 at 9:43 PM, Lula_Mae said:

Thanks!  I've wanted to try this for a long time.  Liking it a lot so far!

On the day before Christmas Eve, I woke up and came into the living room to find a bag floating in the tank, I asked "What's in my tank?" and my husband pretended he had no idea what I was referring to.  I went over and inside the bag (from a fish store) was a piece of paper...he'd gotten me a gift certificate to my favorite reef store!  I was so excited!  Yesterday we got a chance to go and I found a couple zoas for the jar and a blue coral banded shrimp, also for the jar, and for this tank...a teeny little green fox coral!  I've never seen one in person, it was so cute!  I got a couple pics but then I added a few things from the other tanks so now I need new pics lol.  So the tank has coral, hooray!

Your husband sounds like a great partner.  What a creative way to give a GC.  Nothing better than getting new coralz with the GC.  Following along and look forward to watching this mature!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, DCUEVAS74 said:

Your husband sounds like a great partner.  What a creative way to give a GC.  Nothing better than getting new coralz with the GC.  Following along and look forward to watching this mature!

Thanks!  He's pretty great. :) Besides the fox coral, I picked up a couple zoas for my contest jar and a blue coral banded shrimp that has been hiding (I pulled out the rock in the jar just to make sure he was still alive the other day and he glared at me from his crevice lol).  In this tank, I put my green striped mushroom I picked up from LC on Black Friday, my blue and red blasto, my magician paly (which has lost its sparkles :() and my purple frogspawn, which Myrtle the clownfish was beating the snot out of as she loved it to death lol.  Oh, and the green lace gorg I picked up from GCE a few weeks back.  Need pics but need to clear off my phone first as my memory is full again. :rolleyes: I'll post up the pics of the fox coral anyway.

Here's the fox coral when I first put it in.  I looked at it while ago and it's looking so much fluffier! @gena :)

IMG_20171228_192139238

FTS with just the fox in there.  It's now got a row of frags across the front. :lol:

IMG_20171228_192058682_HDR

• Like 9
20 hours ago, Merthynia said:

:lol:This is amazing!  I may have to get it...

7 hours ago, gena said:

The fox is cute :).   You can feed it mysis or pellets...they love to eat!  

Good to know!  I haven't tried to feed him yet.  He's more open and fluffy now.  Maybe I can get more pics.

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

omgomgomg A new pink lipstick baby!!!!!!

Yes!!! I missed out on a beautiful pastel one earlier in the week, but this one appeals to me, I love the extra yellow on his fins!

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Yes!!! I missed out on a beautiful pastel one earlier in the week, but this one appeals to me, I love the extra yellow on his fins!

Dat is a purdy fish, those eyes..:blink:  Great addition!

• Like 1
7 hours ago, DCUEVAS74 said:

Dat is a purdy fish, those eyes..:blink:  Great addition!

Yes, pink streaked wrasses are lovely fish, and usually far more docile than six lines. Thanks!

5 hours ago, Merthynia said:

Have you had a PSW before? You will love your little gem! :wub:

My pair are such sweethearts!

I haven't! I tried to get a pretty pastel one last summer but UPS left it in the warehouse all weekend. :tears: I've wanted one for a while and am crossing my fingers that it makes it through shipping...

4 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Whoa! How did I totally miss this? This is so exciting! My Bf's birthday is 11/11. I wonder if she knows it's make a wish day? Can't wait to tell her. Looking forward to seeing more here.

Thanks! Glad to have you along! I've always thought it was a neat day to be born.

4 hours ago, fishkeepersaltnfresh said:

Great tank. Following now... Cant wait to see it mature

Thanks for tagging along! :happy:

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Yes, pink streaked wrasses are lovely fish, and usually far more docile than six lines. Thanks!

I haven't! I tried to get a pretty pastel one last summer but UPS left it in the warehouse all weekend. :tears: I've wanted one for a while and am crossing my fingers that it makes it through shipping...

Thanks! Glad to have you along! I've always thought it was a neat day to be born.

Thanks for tagging along! :happy:

So excited to see it! When will he/she arrive?

• Like 1
9 hours ago, kimberbee said:

It's tomorrow!!! :haha:

8 hours ago, Droy008 said:

Yes, we demand pictures of super cute fish.

We were told they would be here. :lol:

6 hours ago, Orangutran said:

Nice choice in the PSW! I love mine! 

Well, after acclimating to the QT he promptly lodged himself under the heater and hasn't moved from that spot.  Poor thing is probably traumatized lol.  But I did snap one pic that you can actually see him in while acclimating, so here he is! 

IMG_20180109_163227281

:wub:

• Like 8

Also, I got a gorgonian that is supposed to be purple, species pinnigorgia flava, which I believe is the same species as Grube's gorgonian!  No pics as I forgot to turn the lights back on their schedule after putting the blenny in here last night (who is still terrified and in stress coloration, poor guy, but has found a spot on the top of the left rock which he likes).

• Like 3