Cultivated Reef

Lula Mae's "Make a Wish" IM 14 peninsula--tank came down today. RIP

Lula_Mae

I've never bothered with apex I'm sure one day I will I'm sure. But I've always used home brew thermo controllers. Cheap, work great and accurate. Always used stc-1000. But if you saw in my thread recently purchased an ac-211 which requires no wiring just plug and play! It will control both heat and chiller/fans so if for whatever reason your heater doesn't switch off it will switch it off. Can't beat peace of mind for $30

• Like 1

Following.  

What does the day 11/11 have to do with “Make a Wish”.  I spent four years in Germany from 1966 - 1970.   World War I ended on 11/11.   When I was in Germany, 11/11 started the holiday party season which lasted to Marci Grass.  The German people reminded me of Cajuns.  Show me the party.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
14 hours ago, gogeta said:

I've never bothered with apex I'm sure one day I will I'm sure. But I've always used home brew thermo controllers. Cheap, work great and accurate. Always used stc-1000. But if you saw in my thread recently purchased an ac-211 which requires no wiring just plug and play! It will control both heat and chiller/fans so if for whatever reason your heater doesn't switch off it will switch it off. Can't beat peace of mind for $30

I think I did see that, eventually I will be getting a temperature controller to have. The Cobalt arrived yesterday and I came home this morning to find it keeping the tank at a steady 79 degrees. Got the Koralia on there too!

43 minutes ago, Subsea said:

Following.  

What does the day 11/11 have to do with “Make a Wish”.  I spent four years in Germany from 1966 - 1970.   World War I ended on 11/11.   When I was in Germany, 11/11 started the holiday party season which lasted to Marci Grass.  The German people reminded me of Cajuns.  Show me the party.

I have no idea where it came from, but when the clock strikes 11:11, supposedly you're supposed to make a wish or something. So I extrapolated and sort of made a play on the date and voila! The"Make a Wish" tank name was born!

I expect there was beer at these German parties. :lol:

• Like 2

Hmm... before this thread, I never heard of making a wish at 11:11.

From the interwebs:

Wishes are made when a clock is at 11:11 because the numbers 11 and 1111 are considered to represent new beginnings as well as moments of oneness. Numerologists and new age practitioners place emphasis on the numbers 11 and 1111 for this reason.  The concept of synchronicity is associated with that of oneness. Synchronicity is the experience of more than one event being related in a meaningful way. For example, glancing at a clock when it reads 11:11 is not something that occurs by happenstance. As a result, the potential for wish fulfillment enhances.

• Like 5
Thunder Goose

Warning: nerdy math alert. Assuming a 12 hour clock ther are 720 different times it could display. I did the math and there is a 0.13% chance each time you look at a clock that it will read 11:11. In other words (if there is a normal distribution) every 720th time you look at a clock it should read 11:11.

If you're me and you start looking forward to lunch early in the day you're checking the clock more often starting around 11 and you're MORE likely to see the "magic" time.

This buzzkill brought to you by MATH.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

we had to lick the clock too.. "It's 11:11! Quick, lick the clock and make a wish!" :wacko: I've not taught my children that version, there's enough bodily fluids around here already.... 

• Haha 5
1 hour ago, seabass said:

Hmm... before this thread, I never heard of making a wish at 11:11.

From the interwebs:

Wishes are made when a clock is at 11:11 because the numbers 11 and 1111 are considered to represent new beginnings as well as moments of oneness. Numerologists and new age practitioners place emphasis on the numbers 11 and 1111 for this reason.  The concept of synchronicity is associated with that of oneness. Synchronicity is the experience of more than one event being related in a meaningful way. For example, glancing at a clock when it reads 11:11 is not something that occurs by happenstance. As a result, the potential for wish fulfillment enhances.

I didn't know all that either haha.

13 minutes ago, Thunder Goose said:

Warning: nerdy math alert. Assuming a 12 hour clock ther are 720 different times it could display. I did the math and there is a 0.13% chance each time you look at a clock that it will read 11:11. In other words (if there is a normal distribution) every 720th time you look at a clock it should read 11:11.

If you're me and you start looking forward to lunch early in the day you're checking the clock more often starting around 11 and you're MORE likely to see the "magic" time.

This buzzkill brought to you by MATH.

I am impressed by the mathing.  I have enough trouble figuring out how much salt in how many gallons even when I know exactly how many gallons I used. :lol:

Just now, jahnje said:

we had to lick the clock too.. "It's 11:11! Quick, lick the clock and make a wish!" :wacko: I've not taught my children that version, there's enough bodily fluids around here already.... 

I have definitely never heard of licking the clock! :lol: Slurp slurp slurrrrp!

We had a power outage the other day, and over the next 2 days I was setting random clocks.  

Now, this was weird, but while setting two of those clocks on two different days, the time was 4:44

If there were a 44th day in April, I would be buying a lotto ticket.  But 11:11 has always been a magical time.

I want to see a picture of this AC70 growing algae when you have it set up - sounds cool. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, benstatic said:

We had a power outage the other day, and over the next 2 days I was setting random clocks.  

Now, this was weird, but while setting two of those clocks on two different days, the time was 4:44

If there were a 44th day in April, I would be buying a lotto ticket.  But 11:11 has always been a magical time.

I want to see a picture of this AC70 growing algae when you have it set up - sounds cool. 

I have one on my 5.5, it's pretty messy lol. The one on this tank may just stay a regular filter unless I pick up a smaller AquaClear to use for chemical filtration. The one on my 5.5, I modified based heavily on El fab's fuge mod guide, it has a small submersible LED and my heater in it, with a section for carbon and whatnot, and it's stuffed with caulerpas mainly (prolifera and cactus, if it's still alive).

• Like 2
On 11/16/2017 at 10:14 AM, Subsea said:

Following.  

On 11/16/2017 at 11:02 AM, Lula_Mae said:

I think I did see that, eventually I will be getting a temperature controller to have. The Cobalt arrived yesterday and I came home this morning to find it keeping the tank at a steady 79 degrees. Got the Koralia on there too!

I have no idea where it came from, but when the clock strikes 11:11, supposedly you're supposed to make a wish or something. So I extrapolated and sort of made a play on the date and voila! The"Make a Wish" tank name was born!

I expect there was beer at these German parties. :lol:

I always wish for no person to ever have to send a loved one off to war.

• Like 3

I finally broke down and got an API test kit.  I bought the freshwater one as it was cheaper and I have the cards still from years ago.  It came yesterday so I did a quick set of tests before work.  Here's the results:

ammonia: a little darker than 4 lol :wacko:

nitrite: 1

nitrate: 10

I'd been adding four drops/gallon/day just like Dr. Tim's ammonia bottle said.  My little ammonia badge was light blue when it should've been much darker.  :lol:  So I squirted in a bunch of Microbacter and headed off to work.  Tested ammonia again this morning when I got home and it's at a solid 4 now, or maybe a touch lighter than that.

Probably going to order some Biospira or something and maybe do a water change tomorrow to help lower the ammonia lol.  No time today as I'm working again tonight.

• Wow 3
50 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I finally broke down and got an API test kit.  I bought the freshwater one as it was cheaper and I have the cards still from years ago.  It came yesterday so I did a quick set of tests before work.  Here's the results:

I'd been adding four drops/gallon/day just like Dr. Tim's ammonia bottle said.  My little ammonia badge was light blue when it should've been much darker.  :lol:  So I squirted in a bunch of Microbacter and headed off to work.  Tested ammonia again this morning when I got home and it's at a solid 4 now, or maybe a touch lighter than that.

Probably going to order some Biospira or something and maybe do a water change tomorrow to help lower the ammonia lol.  No time today as I'm working again tonight.

Nitrification bacteria will double in 20 minutes when supplied with food.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

I also used Dr Tim's to start my reef. And I also used my API freshwater kit as I had it on hand for my cichlid tanks. I was certain the Dr Tim's failed me, and that my cycle had somehow stalled... After a few weeks of frustration I finally got it in my head that my API was reading +1ppm or more and I purchased a Red Sea test kit. Turns out I was cycled for probably close to a month without realizing it; due to the API kit lying to me. 

After all of that confusing frustration I would not recommend doing what I did. Cheers. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Subsea said:

Nitrification bacteria will double in 20 minutes when supplied with food.

That's awesome, may they multiply rapidly and prosper! :lol:

12 hours ago, JcSH2o said:

I also used Dr Tim's to start my reef. And I also used my API freshwater kit as I had it on hand for my cichlid tanks. I was certain the Dr Tim's failed me, and that my cycle had somehow stalled... After a few weeks of frustration I finally got it in my head that my API was reading +1ppm or more and I purchased a Red Sea test kit. Turns out I was cycled for probably close to a month without realizing it; due to the API kit lying to me. 

After all of that confusing frustration I would not recommend doing what I did. Cheers. :rolleyes:

I bet that was frustrating! The salt and freshwater master kits are the same except for some of the color cards. I have heard about the ammonia test saying some was present even if there wasn't any, but I tested my jar as well and got a true 0 so I think it'll be ok. If it seems wonky I'll probably take a sample to an LFS for testing lol.

3 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Pics of the tank and stand?

I'll have to move some stuff around, the living room is still a forest of boxes. :blush:

Tested again this morning, looks like:

ammonia: 2

nitrites: 5 (or 1 but I'm guessing 5 since the ammonia dropped so considerably)

nitrates: 10ish

Ordered some Biospira and more Microbacter as I'm nearly out, should arrive tomorrow!

• Like 2
Just now, seabass said:

When either ammonia or nitrite exceed 5 ppm, I would do a large water change.  I'd change the water, then add the bacteria.

I'll have to get some water. Still haven't hooked up my RODI lol. :rolleyes: Think 4-5 gallons should be enough?

Ammonia this morning was 0.25, nitrites were at least 5. Didn't test nitrates since I know they are there lol. I didn't end up getting to the store yesterday for water (car battery died and had to wait for someone to come jump me and ran out of time) so no water change yet. Biospira and Microbacter did not come, why Amazon, why? :tears: Stuff from Cultivated Reef is on its way!

• Sad 2

Ammonia is 0 this morning. :happy: Nitrites still 5+, nitrates now between 10-20. Corals for the jar arrive today! New bacteria stuff should be here today too. Not sure if I'll have time for water change today as I've been called into work tonight. :closedeyes:

• Like 2

While nitrite isn't very toxic at marine pH levels, the cycle isn't working efficiently while nitrite is above 5 ppm.  I'd do the water change prior to adding bacteria.  Although it's encouraging that ammonia is now undetectable.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, seabass said:

While nitrite isn't very toxic at marine pH levels, the cycle isn't working efficiently while nitrite is above 5 ppm.  I'd do the water change prior to adding bacteria.  Although it's encouraging that ammonia is now undetectable.

Yeah, I'm hoping to do it tomorrow when I get home, didn't get to it this morning as my stuff came in from Cultivated Reef and had to get it in the jar. Should be sleeping right now lol.

• Like 3

Finally got a water change in this morning and tested a little while later, ammonia 0, nitrites 1, nitrates at least 40. :lol: Forgot to add more bacteria, will try to remember when I get up. So this is the part where I let nitrites get to 0 and then add ammonia to 2ppm to see if it processes in 24 hours, right? First time I've cycled a tank like this lol. Once that happens I'll do a big change and start looking to add livestock! :happy:

• Like 1