Top Shelf Aquatics

Torch killing another Torch?

SelectedByNature

SelectedByNature

One head on one of my torches has been receeded for 24h and I suspect the neighboring torch is responsible (he stung a Duncan's near him a few days ago and has gotten huge in the last month...)

Can anyone confirm they can and will fight other torches? I was aware that they would attack other Euphyllia but I was under the impression torches we're okay with each other.

IMG_20171110_081008.jpg

MainelyReefer

My torches don't attack each other or other euphyllia.  I have a hammer literally touching my torch and they have been that way for Atleast 2 months.  Maybe you have an aggressive specimen.  Any slimy stringy stuff being ejected by the affected head? I usually associate that with coral warfare, but also things close up occasionally for no apparent reason in reefs.  Nice torch on the left!

jedimasterben

Not uncommon in torches, they are unlike any other Euphyllia. I'd clip off the dead heads and then move one of them.

10 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

My torches don't attack each other or other euphyllia.

While that may be the case now, it's unlikely to stay that way.

24 minutes ago, jedimasterben said:

Not uncommon in torches, they are unlike any other Euphyllia. I'd clip off the dead heads and then move one of them.

My torch colony is pretty much inside my frogspawn  colony at this point, wil no ill effects. Truely mixed, not just sweepers. Could the fact that they grew together from frags influence the outcome in that they have built up immunity? 

jedimasterben
1 hour ago, HarryPotter said:

My torch colony is pretty much inside my frogspawn  colony at this point, wil no ill effects. Truely mixed, not just sweepers. Could the fact that they grew together from frags influence the outcome in that they have built up immunity? 

Not that has been observed - one day you'll come home and the frogspawn will just be gone. Seen it time and time again, unfortunately.

SelectedByNature
2 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

My torches don't attack each other or other euphyllia.  I have a hammer literally touching my torch and they have been that way for Atleast 2 months.  Maybe you have an aggressive specimen.  Any slimy stringy stuff being ejected by the affected head? I usually associate that with coral warfare, but also things close up occasionally for no apparent reason in reefs.  Nice torch on the left!

Yes the left torch is very nice and the aggressor. Yes there is sliminess on the receeded torch. I assumed it was "melted" flesh.

1 hour ago, jedimasterben said:

So it's dead already and I should remove the dead head? Not just move it elsewhere and hope the "dead" head recovers?

Thanks for replying all.