Innovative Marine Aquariums

Is AI Prime HD enough?

RozZy

Hello there.

I've recently ordered an AI Prime HD + for my 37 gallon cube. The dimensions of the display is 19.5 x19.5 x 19.5. 

On the website it said it should be enough for 24x24x24 but now i started researching around on other forums, and some people say I will have a hard time growing SPS under these conditions,  and others say its fine. My main goal is to grow softies and LPS but some SPS on the upper layers of the rock would be nice.

What is true??

Here's a pic of my aquascaping.

23331328_1618151731574841_2308069386481938675_o.jpg

You will be fine. I have a 24” deep system and sps on the lowest rocks still grow. You won’t see explosive growth but if all things are stable, you will see good color and growth, especially since you will probably have sps up on the higher rocks, etc. 

that being said, I have a RSM e260 and I have 3 primes (2 are hds) and I just added 4 t5hos after a year of just primes( primes run the middle with a pair of t5s on either side) and I have seen significant acceleration and better color, but that is because of the hybridization and full coverage the t5s provide. You can check out my thread if you want, I have plenty of pics posted. 

I like like your scape btw, reminds me of greyskull for some reason....

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Nola Bear said:

You will be fine. I have a 24” deep system and sps on the lowest rocks still grow. You won’t see explosive growth but if all things are stable, you will see good color and growth, especially since you will probably have sps up on the higher rocks, etc. 

that being said, I have a RSM e260 and I have 3 primes (2 are hds) and I just added 4 t5hos after a year of just primes( primes run the middle with a pair of t5s on either side) and I have seen significant acceleration and better color, but that is because of the hybridization and full coverage the t5s provide. You can check out my thread if you want, I have plenty of pics posted. 

Amazing tank Nola Bear.

I was thinking of maybe adding another Prime HD later on but do you suggest me getting something else instead?

I'm looking to have a Plate coral and Derasa Clam down the road. 

EDIT: One OT question. How is your valentini doing with your reef? Is he nipping at anything? I'm hesitant about getting one if I ever decide to get a clam.

I have a prime HD as well and not having a problem growing Sps or Lps it is a very bright light if anything I think its to much light in alot of circumstances. 

Led lights are completely different than T5's a little goes along way. This is what I have found.

• Like 1

You will be able to keep certain types of sps likes birdsnest and some montiporas but I do see an issue with certain species of acropora, especially those that came from very high light tanks or are maricultured. Just try and be aware of what you buy and purchase stuff that was grown specifically under LEDs and is tank raised for as long as possible. 

Also if you can get access to a par meter, that would give you a much better idea of the light going into your tank at different levels. They are a bit expensive but often times people in your local reef club have one you can borrow. 

Best of luck!

3 hours ago, RozZy said:

Amazing tank Nola Bear.

I was thinking of maybe adding another Prime HD later on but do you suggest me getting something else instead?

I'm looking to have a Plate coral and Derasa Clam down the road. 

EDIT: One OT question. How is your valentini doing with your reef? Is he nipping at anything? I'm hesitant about getting one if I ever decide to get a clam.

I love my puffer, but I do believe he has an affinity for acans and lobos, which I ultimately moved to my 10g. I think he was picking at my symphyllia too, but I think he stopped.  Other than that I keep him fat and happy to try to ward off any coral hostility. 

As for lights, I just really wanted to try the hybrid t5/led that is popular now. It was hard to commit to since I have a rimless tank and had to build a floating canopy (eyesore) which I was adverse to but have grown accustomed to. 

Someone else had mentioned something about kinds of suitable sps, which I would respectfully but wholeheartedly disagree with. You can see my coral list on my build thread and note that really the only kind of sps I don’t have is birdsnest or the common entry-level sps. I do have a small variety of montis, which I love but take up so much real estate, but the majority of my collection which grew, albeit somewhat slowly in certain cases, under the primes range the sps gamut from deepwaters to tables to lokanis, to torts and berries, etc.   just imho. 

I hope this helps. :)

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, SelectedByNature said:

Cool scape! Just needs a giant ape to dub it Kong Island!

I thought the Prime was marketed as covering 18x18?

The Prime HD says 24x24x24

I was thinking of putting a treasure chest inside the cave.

13 hours ago, Nola Bear said:

Someone else had mentioned something about kinds of suitable sps, which I would respectfully but wholeheartedly disagree with. You can see my coral list on my build thread and note that really the only kind of sps I don’t have is birdsnest or the common entry-level sps. I do have a small variety of montis, which I love but take up so much real estate, but the majority of my collection which grew, albeit somewhat slowly in certain cases, under the primes range the sps gamut from deepwaters to tables to lokanis, to torts and berries, etc.   just imho. 

I hope this helps. :)

Yeah i decided to skip the valentini puffer this time.
Would be cool if I could do birdsnest in one of the eyes of the cave.

I really wanna have a clam in the future and maybe a plate coral. But I'm afraid i'd have to buy a second prime? The Par level will be around 80-100 on the sand.(saw another person with 20" cube measuring PAR)

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
On 11/10/2017 at 6:24 PM, Nola Bear said:

Could you please send a pic of your tank under ai prime hd. Post here or my email is mariodemel@yahoo.com.

Thanks

On 11/16/2017 at 12:51 PM, Clown79 said:

I use a regular prime on my 25g. 24x20x12.

I have sps. 

I think you'll be fine

Pic please. Here or my email is mariodemel@yahoo.com

Thanks

On 1/15/2019 at 11:28 AM, MarioDeMel said:

Could you please send a pic of your tank under ai prime hd. Post here or my email is mariodemel@yahoo.com.

Thanks

Pic please. Here or my email is mariodemel@yahoo.com

Thanks

20190111_151334.jpg

20190111_151242.jpg

20190111_151247.jpg

• Wow 2
  • 4 weeks later...

I have the prime hd over the fluval 13.5, 2 peace’s of sps, only been under for 3 days, time will tell, polyp extension first day, I will comment in couple weeks tell you how there doing 

0F9A22C0-7C9A-4DBF-A103-5E0AF2D633F1.png

The peak with the whites is a half hour long, and the red and green are now up to 20% at peak just to get the par up a little bit as sps like a lot of par witch am sure you know already 

On 11/10/2017 at 7:54 AM, Nola Bear said:

Castle Greyskull for sure☠

• 2 years later...
jjmccloud2011
On 2/8/2019 at 3:47 PM, St3 said:

I have the prime hd over the fluval 13.5, 2 peace’s of sps, only been under for 3 days, time will tell, polyp extension first day, I will comment in couple weeks tell you how there doing 

0F9A22C0-7C9A-4DBF-A103-5E0AF2D633F1.png

So...didn't work out? 😆 looking to use HD prime in evo13.5 myself

• 3 weeks later...

According to BRS'S investigates video on the Prime 16HD,on a 12" cube at 100% it produces 300+ par. I have some screenshots from the video I'll post. 

Screenshot_20210116-202757_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210116-202753_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210116-202732_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210116-202028_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210113-170529_YouTube.jpg