Cultivated Reef

Fluval 13.5 NooB Journey *November 2018 Update*

ThisPlaceIsAPrison

6 hours ago, Oldsalt01 said:

I completely understand, and if I had to do it again, I would probably go the live rock route. Oh, wait. I DID. Had to strip down and sterilize my tank after a HORRENDOUS Bubble Algae outbreak (my fault, I didn't check a frag plug carefully enough, and by the time I realized my mistake it was too late), and got some cured rock from my LFS on a swap for my BA infested rock, which he fed to his tangs. So, yah I agree, but as a first-timer in the "hobby" I was suggesting dry rock to him as a way to start slow and avoid issues like GHA, Mojanos, Aptasia, ect.    "Nawth Cackalacky", indeed! I LOVE IT!  :lol:

Haha yeah, that's what we grew up referring to the state as. :lol: My first real tank was done with live rock and it came with several hitchhiking corals and macro, and a few aiptasia.  Months later blue clove polyps sprouted from one.  It was pretty cool!  I'm using the reef saver rock for the 15 as I like that no actual reefs were impacted, but if I were doing live rock, I'd go for farmed Gulf live rock as the environmental impact is minimal to none.

• Like 2
ThisPlaceIsAPrison

Reefers, how critical is the protein skinner that is designed as an add on for the Fluval Evo?  The reason why I asked is that I have read mixed opinions on the necessity.  

Is this something where I can set up and cycle without it and add on later if needed?  Or if I’m even considering it should the skimmer be in place during the initial set up and cycle?

A protein skimmer isn't required (especially if you use chemical media and do larger water changes).

You can add one later if you wish.  It's also OK to run one during the initial cycle.

ThisPlaceIsAPrison

So I’ve alr already failed in terms of patience.  Rather than waiting for Christmas I took matters into my own hands.  I ordered the initial equipment today.  Petco has a sale online and I got the Evo kit for $124 including free shipping!   I ordered the 50 watt heater, a 240 gph Nano Powerhead and the skimmer to be on the safe side.

Hopefully come next weekend I’m set up and cycling.

im fortunate that I have the states largest fish store just a short drive from my house.

http://gerberstropicalfish.com/ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yah. THIS is how the obsession begins, lol. How do you plan to start the cycle: dry rock, cycled rock, shrimp, biological additives??? The hardest part of starting a tank is not rushing the process. If ur planning on doing fish (wouldn't recommend more than 2 for that size tank. Do your research on recommended tank size, compatibility, food needs, ect), seriously consider a separate quarantine tank. Once the Evo's cycled, and starting the ugly phase, you can start cycling the qt, so that it's ready for fish, while ur DT stabilizes. I put an extra small piece of rock in the DT to help kick-start the qt cycle and transferred it over once my QT ammonia peaked. Definitely helped speed up the process. U can use a piece of reticulated foam too, but I liked the natural look of the rock. Sorry about the wordiness, but I get excited about new tanks, even if they're not mine!  :D

16 hours ago, ThisPlaceIsAPrison said:

So I’ve alr already failed in terms of patience.  Rather than waiting for Christmas I took matters into my own hands.  I ordered the initial equipment today.  Petco has a sale online and I got the Evo kit for $124 including free shipping!   I ordered the 50 watt heater, a 240 gph Nano Powerhead and the skimmer to be on the safe side.

Hopefully come next weekend I’m set up and cycling.

im fortunate that I have the states largest fish store just a short drive from my house.

http://gerberstropicalfish.com/ 

That's a great price on the Evo! You're on your way!

ThisPlaceIsAPrison
12 minutes ago, Oldsalt01 said:

Yah. THIS is how the obsession begins, lol. How do you plan to start the cycle: dry rock, cycled rock, shrimp, biological additives??? The hardest part of starting a tank is not rushing the process. If ur planning on doing fish (wouldn't recommend more than 2 for that size tank. Do your research on recommended tank size, compatibility, food needs, ect), seriously consider a separate quarantine tank. Once the Evo's cycled, and starting the ugly phase, you can start cycling the qt, so that it's ready for fish, while ur DT stabilizes. I put an extra small piece of rock in the DT to help kick-start the qt cycle and transferred it over once my QT ammonia peaked. Definitely helped speed up the process. U can use a piece of reticulated foam too, but I liked the natural look of the rock. Sorry about the wordiness, but I get excited about new tanks, even if they're not mine!  :D

My plan is to purchase wet live rock, and bagged live sand from my LFS.  In regards to water I want to get the premixed either the premixed that is packaged or directly from the LFS.

In addition to the live rock and sand is there a need for introducing an additive or additional bacteria in order to cycle?  My local LFS tests water for free and is very close to my work and home so I was going to have them monitor my cycle progress.  

In regards to fish I was hoping to stick with just two small clownfish, I have young sons and they would get a kick out of them.   Simple hardy coral and inverts are my initial focus. 

1 hour ago, ThisPlaceIsAPrison said:

In addition to the live rock and sand is there a need for introducing an additive or additional bacteria in order to cycle?

If it's actual live rock from the ocean, then no.

• Like 2

Just be aware that u will be getting hitchhikers on the LR. Some good, some not so good. Additionally, it will speed up the cycle a bit but u may still have an ammonia spike, although it shouldn't be too bad. Keep an eye out for Aptasia anemones, Green Hair Algae, and the dreaded Bubble Algae. They can be tough to control if u don't catch them early. Good luck with the tank, and keep us posted. ;)

ThisPlaceIsAPrison

My first "components" are in hand today.  I stopped by my local Menard's to invest in some containers / buckets for water and acclimation management.  This will keep my wife happy knowing that I'm not using our kitchen storage containers for anything.  I went with three 5 gallon buckets with lids, two 2 gallon pails that have pouring lips, and a small 2 quart mixing pail that I will use for livestock acclimation (drip acclimation).   What I love about the 2 gallon pails with the pouring lips is that they have measuring lines on the inside indicating gallons, quarts, etc.  I'm keeping a cost tally so here is where I am at so far.  

Fluval EVO Xii 13.5 Gallon Nano Kit $123.22 shipped (Petco online)

Fluval P2 Mini Protein Skimmer $53.61 shipped (Ebay, new)

Hydor Koralia Nano 240 Powerhead $21.53 shipped (Amazon)

Fluval M-50 Heater $19.99 shipped (Amazon)

Containers from Menard's $19.94

Live Sand $29.99

Live Rock (TBD)

Saltwater $22.35

Buckets.jpg

• Like 5
ThisPlaceIsAPrison
1 hour ago, Oldsalt01 said:

Have u figured in the cost of the new addition to your house to keep all ur support stuff stored?  ;)

Plenty of clean storage available in my basement. 

• Wow 1
ThisPlaceIsAPrison

Any advice on placement and aiming of the powerhead?  I would prefer to keep it on the sump panel side for better wire management / cleaner look.  Should I place it on the same side as the stock outlet, or should it go on the opposite side where the intake is (below the intake grate)?  Should it be directed towards the glass, rockscape, or somewhere else?

I suggest experimenting with placement.  Depending on your aquascape, one place might be better than another.  You don't want to point it directly at your coral/rocks.  If you want, take a piece of string and tie it to the end of a net handle (or PVC pipe).  Then move it around the tank and observe the flow.  Make adjustments and do it again.  You don't want a lot of dead spots.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, ThisPlaceIsAPrison said:

After 8 days of patiently waiting the Fluval has arrived.......................o and yes it was shattered 

That SUX!!! Keep the faith.

ThisPlaceIsAPrison

So I went to my LFS and they hooked me up with my replacement tank, I get it home and li and behold that one was shattered!

another 30 minutes round trip and finally third times a charm!

Roughly 15 lbs. of live sand and just under 10 lbs. of live rock.  I’m up and running, cloudy water from the sand so once it settles I’ll throw a pic up.

in the meantime here is my friends set up not Nano but cool, he’s got nearly $12K wrapped up in this set up 

D197367A-B247-4704-AE73-D79814C17F4C.jpeg

0557F969-3DAE-4706-8B44-6A527A0AB358.jpeg

EE2C06C2-6360-407F-9DE3-A640C3F10D14.jpeg

44598D81-820B-4630-97F0-C6ECB70C5D86.jpeg

• Like 2
ThisPlaceIsAPrison

*1st update:

I set the fluval up and have started the cycle process!  15 lbs. of AgriLive sand, 8 lbs. of live rock, and pre mixed saltwater from my LFS'.  Water has cleared, and I wiped off the inside and outside of the glass.

The live rock is super premium and has already been cycled at my LFS.  Lots of great nooks and crannies, and some biological material and a lot of these little hair like plant matter that I'm not sure what it is?

My LFS recommends that I come back in this weekend to pick up a few saltwater black mollies to aide in the cycle process.  Given the wood panel wall I think I am going to hang a blank white canvas behind the tank to brighten it up.

tank full.jpg

live rock b.jpg

Laptop Security Cable.url.jpg

live rock.jpg

• Like 1

Most of us are against cycling a tank with fish.  Any ammonia in the tank is quite bad for them (even for hardy fish).  If it was live rock from the ocean, then all you have to do is wait until ammonia becomes undetectable, then do a large enough water change to bring nitrate below 10 ppm.  After that you can slowly add livestock (like add a cleanup crew, wait a week, add a small fish, wait a week, etc).

BTW, the rock looks good.

• Like 1
ThisPlaceIsAPrison

Added Dr. Tim’s ammonia to the Fluval today.  Prior to the ammonia I tested at 0.00, I will monitor the progress to confirm a cycle completion.

CCE49646-0566-46FD-A1FD-FA58439C79D5.jpeg

• Like 1