inTank Media Baskets

Fluval 13.5 NooB Journey *November 2018 Update*

ThisPlaceIsAPrison

ThisPlaceIsAPrison

Here is how I am currently configuring my @StevieT InTank basket in chamber one.  If anyone has a suggestion on how to improve let me know.  I replace the top shelf filter floss twice a week (once mid week, and once again on water change day).  The bottom shelf filter floss gets replaced one a week on water change day.  In regards to the ChemiPure in the middle shelf I am planning on replacing it every 3 months.  So far so good with parameters, Ammonia, Nitirites, and Nitrates are always 0.

InTank.jpg

I probably wouldn't put floss on the bottom section (just on the top).

Basket%20Pack.jpg8(2).jpg

You can leave the bottom section empty if you wish, or use it for another media bag.  Personally I like the idea of using floss on top, PhosGuard in the middle, and activated carbon on the bottom.  However, I think a more popular arrangement is floss on the top, Purigen in the middle, and ChemiPure Elite on the bottom.

The stuffing floss that you are using is perfectly fine.  However, I do like the floss that inTank supplies:  http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Value-Pack-Poly-Filter-Floss-3PACK.htm

Value Pack - Poly Filter Floss

• 4 weeks later...

can I ask where you placed the powerhead?  

I have mine on the opposite corner from the stock pump (so kind of creating a clockwise water flow loop).  the frogspawn that I just got doesn't seem happy and I am wondering if changing the water flow in my tank will make a big difference.

Ugh, this guy is growing sps on his stock light and I have mushrooms withering in mine.  I wanted it to be everything else besides the damn light because now I have to figure out how to make some sort of canopy because I cant do an open top.

ThisPlaceIsAPrison
19 hours ago, Bropez said:

Ugh, this guy is growing sps on his stock light and I have mushrooms withering in mine.  I wanted it to be everything else besides the damn light because now I have to figure out how to make some sort of canopy because I cant do an open top.

Sorry to hear about the issues.  My routine is fairly simple, only change to the tank was the InTank Media Basket (chamber 1).  Chamber 2 is empty, chamber 3 has the pump and heater.

InTank has Filter floss on top rack, Chemi Pure Elite in middle rack, Filter Floss on bottom rack.

2 gallon water changes every single Saturday.  Using Red Sea Coral Pro and RODI water.

Top rack filter floss is replaced twice a week, once on Wednesday night, and once on Saturday with the water change.

Bottom rack filter floss is replaced once a week, on the Saturday water change day.

ChempiPure elite bag in middle rack is changed every 3 months.

Coral is fed once per week (on Saturdays about 3 hours prior to my water change).  I mix a few teaspoons of live phytoplankton with a 1/4 teaspoon of ReefRoids.  I have a long skinny coral feeder that I directly feed them.  (I turn the powerhead and return pump off during the feeding).

Fish / Inverts are fed every day.  I feed a tiny amount of pellets each evening, and every 3rd day I feed about an 1/8th of a frozen cube of mysis.

That's it, but I'm stone cold consistent about these things.

I also take the powerhead out each water change day and clean it off, I have removed the return pump once and taken it apart cleaning the inside and that small black sponge filter.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...