ThisPlaceIsAPrison

Fluval 13.5 NooB Journey *August 2018 Update*

Here is how I am currently configuring my @StevieT InTank basket in chamber one.  If anyone has a suggestion on how to improve let me know.  I replace the top shelf filter floss twice a week (once mid week, and once again on water change day).  The bottom shelf filter floss gets replaced one a week on water change day.  In regards to the ChemiPure in the middle shelf I am planning on replacing it every 3 months.  So far so good with parameters, Ammonia, Nitirites, and Nitrates are always 0.

InTank.jpg

I probably wouldn't put floss on the bottom section (just on the top).

Basket%20Pack.jpg8(2).jpg

You can leave the bottom section empty if you wish, or use it for another media bag.  Personally I like the idea of using floss on top, PhosGuard in the middle, and activated carbon on the bottom.  However, I think a more popular arrangement is floss on the top, Purigen in the middle, and ChemiPure Elite on the bottom.

The stuffing floss that you are using is perfectly fine.  However, I do like the floss that inTank supplies:  http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Value-Pack-Poly-Filter-Floss-3PACK.htm

Value Pack - Poly Filter Floss

no harm in having floss on the bottom too if you are going to leave it empty.  it will still catch stuff.

Looking good! Using anything special in the media basket, or stock? 

Edit: Just scrolled up and found the answer to my question. :D

can I ask where you placed the powerhead?  

I have mine on the opposite corner from the stock pump (so kind of creating a clockwise water flow loop).  the frogspawn that I just got doesn't seem happy and I am wondering if changing the water flow in my tank will make a big difference.

Beautiful tank! Coming along great. I just got mine and am still in the research phase! What substrate did you use? Sorry if I missed it.

I don't use the bottom chamber for floss. But I do have pieces of live rock in there that I use to mount frags on.

Ugh, this guy is growing sps on his stock light and I have mushrooms withering in mine.  I wanted it to be everything else besides the damn light because now I have to figure out how to make some sort of canopy because I cant do an open top.

19 hours ago, Bropez said:

Ugh, this guy is growing sps on his stock light and I have mushrooms withering in mine.  I wanted it to be everything else besides the damn light because now I have to figure out how to make some sort of canopy because I cant do an open top.

Sorry to hear about the issues.  My routine is fairly simple, only change to the tank was the InTank Media Basket (chamber 1).  Chamber 2 is empty, chamber 3 has the pump and heater.

InTank has Filter floss on top rack, Chemi Pure Elite in middle rack, Filter Floss on bottom rack.

2 gallon water changes every single Saturday.  Using Red Sea Coral Pro and RODI water.

Top rack filter floss is replaced twice a week, once on Wednesday night, and once on Saturday with the water change.

Bottom rack filter floss is replaced once a week, on the Saturday water change day.

ChempiPure elite bag in middle rack is changed every 3 months.

Coral is fed once per week (on Saturdays about 3 hours prior to my water change).  I mix a few teaspoons of live phytoplankton with a 1/4 teaspoon of ReefRoids.  I have a long skinny coral feeder that I directly feed them.  (I turn the powerhead and return pump off during the feeding).

Fish / Inverts are fed every day.  I feed a tiny amount of pellets each evening, and every 3rd day I feed about an 1/8th of a frozen cube of mysis.

That's it, but I'm stone cold consistent about these things.

I also take the powerhead out each water change day and clean it off, I have removed the return pump once and taken it apart cleaning the inside and that small black sponge filter.

• Like 2

Looks like the cyano is returning, but love the tank.

Dive in and share your thoughts!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recommended Discussions