Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fluval 13.5 NooB Journey *November 2018 Update*

ThisPlaceIsAPrison

If you go with either GSP or Xenia I would recommend isolating them on a smallish rock separate from the rest of the island. That way when when they grow you can frag them off to plugs. I trade me mine off for store credit at my LFS. OR, you can put them at the back of the tank and encourage them to go up the back wall. One of my local LFS'S did that with GSP and it's very attractive.

• Thanks 2
ThisPlaceIsAPrison

Algae went from 0-60 in 6 hours yesterday!  My Astrea snail got to feast, I ended up cleaning most of it off the glass with my magnet cleaner.  Any idea what would have caused this to just blow up all of the sudden?  I did a partial water change two days ago, and also fed the livestock frozen Mysis for the first time.  That was the only thing new.

Alegae 2.jpg

Alegae.jpg

45 minutes ago, ThisPlaceIsAPrison said:

Any idea what would have caused this to just blow up all of the sudden?

Usually this indicates an increase in phosphate.  Do you have a low range phosphate test kit?

Seabass is correct. Looks like a Phosphate increase. How long are your lights on each day (im  too lazy to look back over all your posts)? That's a typical film algae, but it usually means a nutrient spike. At least it's green!:D

• Haha 1
ThisPlaceIsAPrison

My lights are running 11:00 AM to 9:30 PM (using the Fluval timer) so simulated sunrise to sunset, should I dial that down?  Are phosphates dangerous to my livestock?

I'm still dealing with a nitrite spike as well.  I just ordered Seachem Prime from Amazon which will arrive tomorrow.  My fear is that my tank is not fully cycled and now I have livestock in it. 

If u still have nitrites showing ur right, not fully cycled yet. The phosphates are fairly innocuous but they DO feed the algae. Just like fertilizing ur lawn! Nitrites can be unhealthy for livestock but not quite as deadly as ammonia. I wouldn't try to drop my nitrites artificially. Let the tank handle it. They have to drop by being converted to Nitrates, then to Phosphates. 

• Like 1

Like Oldsalt01 said, nitrates aren't very toxic at marine pH levels.  I wouldn't worry too much about it, but it should be undetectable when everything is working properly.  Just keep monitoring it for now.

Phosphate is an important nutrient, but too much leads to excessive algae growth.  It should be detectable, but no higher than 0.03 ppm.

Also, I'd cut about 2 hours off of your light cycle.

• Like 1
ThisPlaceIsAPrison
On 12/6/2017 at 4:25 PM, seabass said:

My recommendation:

Look into one of these: http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Fluval-Evo-12-135-Media-Basket-FL12MR.htm

Basket%20Pack.jpg

Can you move the skimmer to the second chamber?

You don't want or need any additional biological filtration.  And the mechanical filtration should be easily cleaned or replaced.  I like these media baskets with filter floss up top.  Then you have your choice of chemical filtration.  I like activated carbon and Phosguard.  However, many people use ChemiPure Elite and Purigen.

What is the advantage over this basket, vs. the InTank that fits into the middle chamber?

WoodRiverTroutBum

Following along, I am putting together an Evo as well!  

As far as which of the InTank baskets is better, I couldn't answer but I ordered both and they will be here tomorrow.

My plan is filter floss and chaeto in the first chamber and carbon and another media in the second.  That may change, we will see when they get here.   

• Like 1
ThisPlaceIsAPrison
13 minutes ago, WoodRiverTroutBum said:

Following along, I am putting together an Evo as well!  

As far as which of the InTank baskets is better, I couldn't answer but I ordered both and they will be here tomorrow.

My plan is filter floss and chaeto in the first chamber and carbon and another media in the second.  That may change, we will see when they get here.   

I think I am going to end up nixing my skimmer and going with InTank's chamber 1 basket.  This will leave my middle chamber empty, most likely I will move my heater into it.

WoodRiverTroutBum

Someone on another forum confirmed my fear that there may not be enough flow for chaeto to be efficient in the media baskets, so I may do an aquamaxx media reactor outside of the tank, if I can figure out a good place to mount it and get enough flow through it.

ThisPlaceIsAPrison
9 hours ago, seabass said:

That might be a good question for @StevieT.

Thank you, he recommended that I go with the chamber 1 basket!  Order has been placed.  I’m ditched the skimmer today and replaced the cap.

• Thanks 1
  1. Ummmm. If my math is correct this tank's been up about a month. True? If so it seems a little early to be putting 'nems in, as it may not be mature/stable enough yet. You may luck out, though.
ThisPlaceIsAPrison
On 12/19/2017 at 10:29 PM, Oldsalt01 said:
  1. Ummmm. If my math is correct this tank's been up about a month. True? If so it seems a little early to be putting 'nems in, as it may not be mature/stable enough yet. You may luck out, though.

You are correct on the time.  I already have buyers remorse but they sure look nice.  I should have researched more before buying them.  I fear they won’t be compatible with the clown fish I plan on getting or any coral I introduce.

So I ended up returning the anenome's back to the LFS.  Good thing was that I got most of my money back, so my first lesson was at least an inexpensive one.  The Condy is "NOT" compatible with my small tank.  On the positive side my friend gifted me a tank full of coral, I know I'm a bit early to have so much coral but they are all doing quite well.

• Like 1

I fully understand wanting to get this tank stocked. Unfortunately, haste in this area usually comes to tears. I'm not chastising you, but you need to slow down. Do more research before you buy, get your water parameters stable, become comfortable with your maintenance routine, and stay on top of your nutrient numbers. And, Clowns don't need anemones to survive or flourish. Mine have been fine for 2 years without one. You are almost there. Take a deep breath and relax.:)

• Like 1
ThisPlaceIsAPrison

In regards to the @steveT InTank basket for the Fluval.  RUN don't walk to the site and order one.  Best investment to date.  My display water is crystal clear!  Only new thing I am noticing is that now instead of my display tank's water level lowering the water level in my sump chambers lowers, is this normal?  I am trying to avoid getting an ATO but I don't want the water level in chamber one to get too low.  The InTank chamber 1 basket is quite tall and a small water level drop makes the intank flow skip the top rack and gets pulled down below it.

U could always go the "hamster bottle ATO" route if u have the space. I did that on my 14g Biocube in chamber 3 and it works fine. I fill it once a day and my levels stay fine without adding too much FW too quickly. I pulled the metal part completely off and put a short piece of vinyl hose over the nozzle cuz I don't trust cheap "stainless steel" to be non-corrosive in SW. It cost me $5 and works like a charm.

ThisPlaceIsAPrison

New update, just added a pair of standard clownfish.  I am fortunate enough to have a buddy that gifted me more coral than I ever would have imagined.  Things are moving fast but everything is happy and thriving so far.  So my surprise the birds nest is actually growing under the stock light.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
ThisPlaceIsAPrison

Things continue to run smoothly with the EVO.  I am doing 2 gallon weekly water changes which includes changing out my filter floss in the InTank.  Water parameters seem to stay on point.  These results are 5 days after my last water change, salinity stays at 1.025

Jan 11 2018.jpg