Top Shelf Aquatics

21 Gallon Red Sea Maxx

Braun036

14 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

You always put rock down first, the creatures we put into our tanks have a tendency to move the sand bed, as this shifts if your rocks are not supported underneath by the glass your rockwork could tumble and damage corals or even break a pane of glass.  May I suggest finding inspiration from tanks with more maturity and validity behind their methodology via proven success.

@Braun036 the diatoms are a totally normal phase of a tank maturing, in the next year you will likely go through multiple algae/pest issues that will be resolved by good husbandry and time.  The tang is a sketchy addition and will be  in that tank short term at best.  The salinity can only go up by adding improperly mixed water or topping off with salt(did you add the water from the LFS when you got the tang and then not top off until it was needed,concentrating the salt from the bag into your tank?).  The tank looks great though! Those torches are awesome but I would watch out with that guy on the right he seems to be throwing some longer sweepers. For testing salinity the Milwaukee MA887 seawater refractometer is my go to, Hanna checkers are a great way to test calcium/alk but otherwise I rarely test other stuff. To correct salinity I would remove a cup of water from the tank once a day and replace it with fresh RODI until the desired salinity is reached.  That should be gradual enough as not to shock anything worse than it already may be.  Reef Slow= Reef Grow, Reef Fast= Reef Crash those words helped me two years ago, sorry if I sound like an ass I can tell your putting effort in and don't want to see you fail when the mistakes you are making have been made and well documented by others so can be completely avoided.

Yes thank you for the advice the rocks in my tank were added first and they are glued down so I am not worried about them shifting.  Yes my  salinity problem did not come from the LFS bought water it came from a cleaning issue when the water in the back sump was higher than the water in the main display.  And the auto tap off obviously could not fill the tank. So not  realizing this when I performed a water change I added in too much salt water. And now I am facing this problem. So I am bring the  salinity down slowly. I did order the  Hannah instrument for  salinity today. So that will be coming on Wednesday. Which I can’t wait for.  As far as everything else the tank looks great. I am aware that a yellow tang will be to big for the tank in a couple of months as of this moment I think he is doing just fine.  

My Hanna calcium checker just came in the mail today which I am pretty excited for. I was using the salfert one. But the markings started to wear off. So the calcium one came today I order their ph checker and the alkalinity one today along with their digital refractometer. Which will be coming next week. I just want to make sure I have a more accurate way of testing my tank. 

• 2 weeks later...

Down to just one week before I have the pros come in and redo my tank. I can’t wait. I wish I had more time to spend on my tank but work has been crazy. Every thing is still doing really well.  I did a 5 gallon water change today. I will be interested in what my test results show tomorrow. 

Just a small update on the tank everything is doing really well. I am excited that all my Hannah instruments came in do testing is a lot easier and more accurate now. And finally I started to get some pink coralline algae. The tank will still be getting  Aqua scape on Tuesday and I can not wait for that. 

Well I just had Aqua-World over to re-do my tank. I am very happy and pleased with the outcome. I have a lot more space now in the tank. Corals have some room now to stretch out and grow. I can not wait for stuff to open up. But here Are some pictures of how things look now. Two changes to the tank I had them remove the damsel and the watchmen goby.  I really wanted to cut back on the bioload. But everything is doing really well.  Despite what some might have thought.  

B18DDAC9-AE24-451B-AA0E-145448F0D502.jpeg

79817485-BE54-4A8E-A02F-D2E782D4A751.jpeg

D954B4D5-33CF-4A91-A3A0-077BC2656D90.jpeg

• Like 1

I hope everyone’s Christmas was good I wish you a  happy new year. I feel like my clown fish is lonely since His partner decided to jump into the back chamber and get cut up by the  filter. This happened about 4 months ago. And I still do not know how he managed to get back. Are there any tips or advice I need to know about adding another  clown fish to the tank. The only fish in the tank is the yellow tang and clownfish. 

I like the look of yr tank, lots of swaying movement.   

I would be be careful with yr tang as it gets bigger, u will prob need to take him out.    I put a small yellow tang In my 44 G tank and regretted it and soon took him back to my lfs.     I’m sure a bigger tank would be better.

Other than that beautiful tank Braun036.

@John LThank you! yes that is the plan with the yellow tang. I am not sure what their growth rate is but I hope I can keep him for a couple of months.  The LFS said they have no problem taking the yellow tang Back when he gets to big. And giving me a small one again. I am not sure when he gets bigger I will definitely take him out though. I am not in the business of killing animals 

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Braun036 said:

@John LThank you! yes that is the plan with the yellow tang. I am not sure what their growth rate is but I hope I can keep him for a couple of months.  The LFS said they have no problem taking the yellow tang Back when he gets to big. And giving me a small one again. I am not sure when he gets bigger I will definitely take him out though. I am not in the business of killing animals 

Sounds gd Braun036.   U will find some people are v quick to lay down the law before they know the whole story lol.

happy reefing!

Though I don’t necessarily agree with some of the decisions with tang/clam etc, no one should be a dick. They give someone TOTM and he morphs into a douchebag somehow. Don’t worry...we all make poor decisions in this hobby. It is how we learn. I will warn you though, getting a tang out of a crowded tank is difficult. Otherwise, carry on and keep loving your reef. 

• Like 2

Tank size is not really the factor with the clam since they are relatively slow growers and very easy to catch. Typically, people just want a very mature system since clams can be fickle.

11 hours ago, Braun036 said:

I hope everyone’s Christmas was good I wish you a  happy new year. I feel like my clown fish is lonely since His partner decided to jump into the back chamber and get cut up by the  filter. This happened about 4 months ago. And I still do not know how he managed to get back. Are there any tips or advice I need to know about adding another  clown fish to the tank. The only fish in the tank is the yellow tang and clownfish. 

Those can jump high, right before Christmas I saw mine jump out of a small hole through the cover of my evo and he landed in the filteration area.

52591B63-2F2A-41F6-A583-AE7D9ECDD44F.jpeg