Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Office Spec V Journal

Jimmeh Lee

20 hours ago, Kijho said:

Wow this is a nice start to a Spec V... kind of makes me miss mine actually.. so clean! So nice! 

Thank you! I'm definitely glad I just put it away for a while when I was done using it for freshwater instead of getting rid of it. If only I had done the same with my IM 10 when I upgraded it. :unsure:

ThisPlaceIsAPrison

Tank looks amazing!  I really want to pick up the MP10 powerhead for my new Fluval EVO.  I'm just struggling with the fact that the powerhead costs nearly $100 more than my tank lol.  

I have also been contemplating ditching the Fluval P2 Skimmer in favor of the "In Tank" media basket.  Thoughts? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ThisPlaceIsAPrison said:

Tank looks amazing!  I really want to pick up the MP10 powerhead for my new Fluval EVO.  I'm just struggling with the fact that the powerhead costs nearly $100 more than my tank lol.  

I have also been contemplating ditching the Fluval P2 Skimmer in favor of the "In Tank" media basket.  Thoughts? 

That my friend is the unfortunate part of reefing! The mp10 is great, I don't think you would regret the purchase. 

This little tank has no space for a skimmer so I'm doing without. That said, the media basket is a great use of what limited space there is in my opinion. It's holding Floss, chemi-pure blue, polishing pads, and load of matrix. The 13.5 has 3 chambers right? Is there a basket for the  first chamber? I think ideally I would want chamber 1 with a basket, chamber 2  with a skimmer, and 3 with the return/heater/ato.

ThisPlaceIsAPrison
1 hour ago, Jimmeh Lee said:

That my friend is the unfortunate part of reefing! The mp10 is great, I don't think you would regret the purchase. 

This little tank has no space for a skimmer so I'm doing without. That said, the media basket is a great use of what limited space there is in my opinion. It's holding Floss, chemi-pure blue, polishing pads, and load of matrix. The 13.5 has 3 chambers right? Is there a basket for the  first chamber? I think ideally I would want chamber 1 with a basket, chamber 2  with a skimmer, and 3 with the return/heater/ato.

Correct on having 3 chambers, the first chamber is designated / designed for the skimmer, the basket goes in chamber 2, and the 3rd is housing my return and heater.  

1 hour ago, ThisPlaceIsAPrison said:

Correct on having 3 chambers, the first chamber is designated / designed for the skimmer, the basket goes in chamber 2, and the 3rd is housing my return and heater.  

Gotcha! That’s strange to me that they designed it that way. I would think it optimal to send the water through at least mechanical filtration first. So the water is going up through the basket? That’s also weird to me lol

Found another aptasia and fed it some salt sludge. And there's a small one I noticed today poking out of that last acan frag that I glued down. THAT I ALSO DIPPED. :rolleyes: 

I think I'll have to let it get a little bigger for a clear shot.

• Like 1

I've also had aiptasia survive dips. I finally tried peppermint shrimp and they took care of the problem in about a week. I've had them about two months now and so far they aren't munching on any of my corals. But they are living under a "one strike and you're out" policy.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

I've also had aiptasia survive dips. I finally tried peppermint shrimp and they took care of the problem in about a week. I've had them about two months now and so far they aren't munching on any of my corals. But they are living under a "one strike and you're out" policy.

I might have to try that out myself. So far it's been pretty manageable, just one or two. A peppermint  shrimp would probably liven the tank up a bit as well. Maybe when I get back from Christmas break. I'm driving up to Michigan for about a week to see my family this year and have a coworker checking on the tank, don't wanna leave too many instructions for him haha.

I lived with one or two for probably two years, just occasionally knocking it back with some Aiptasia-X. But the more I used the stuff, the more it seemed to make them multiply, so I finally threw in the towel and got the shrimp. I bought them from an lfs owner I trust, who promised me he had the right kind, and he was right :)

I used aptasia x once on my very first tank years ago and was way too clumsy with the syringe lol.

Yes I'm looking them up now and it appears that there are a few different species that look nearly identical, but only one or two that actually eat them. :wacko:

Side note- the coralife digital thermometer I set up the tank with is a piece of junk and I've gotta replace it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I’ve been up in Michigan since the 23rd and have a coworker checking on the tank for me about every other day for a big bottle of apple crown. He sent me this picture yesterday. I think I might just give him the tank, he’s got it looking good. I’m still super geeked about how well the coralline algae is taking hold.

Y9BE4BE.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Got some new coral as well as a firefish yesterday. Got a little crazy with some gift cards.

Got a candy cane, acan, dragon eye zoas with some other morph, and a hammer. I really roughed up the hammer getting it off the plug and glued but it seems to be doing well.

y20pOXH.jpg

Xtr3K5o.jpg

xhFe55Z.jpg

Xx5zHWt.jpg

• Like 1

New fts. Everything’s doing well and things are going smoothly. I decided to get a nano-reef set up at home since I had so much fun burning my wallet with this one. Probably an IM peninsula 14.

lBhrGRg.jpg

Hammer opened up a bit more

3iXcxDk.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I picked up a 3/4 head neon torch over the weekend for a good price. I say 3/4 because one head is toast, but the skeleton is still white so who knows. I split them and plan to bring home the half with 2 healthy heads later on. 

gLkmYoB.jpg

Exciting times, I’ve got almost everything I need to get the Home tank going. I’ll get a new journal going for it soon.

• Like 1

Had to move some stuff around today because I think the torches were stinging  some zoas and the Duncan for being just a little too close. 

These torches are so nice though ??

AA4XRyX.jpg

• Like 1

Got a quick full tank shot. Pretty smooth sailing, new polyps sprouting from the zoas and acans. Might end up putting a couple more frags in here but other than that it might just be grow out time. One of the torches will end up in the home tank. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

M3XV1zu.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Looks nice, I agree, the coralline is doing great and that's always a good sign. 

Thanks Teeny! This little tank is doing better than my last tank every did. K.I.S.S seems to be doing the job lol.

• Like 2

Well here's what ya get when you don't stir your sand every day. Is this white cloud just detritus? Bacteria? I'm not terribly worried about it, but may start stirring it up a bit more often.

I don't recall you rinsing your sand, so this is likely the result of that silt settling in the sand.  I'd just vacuum a bit of it at a time at water changes and nothing bad will happen.   

• Like 1

Yeah, I was thinking that was a part of it. I second guessed because the new tank has no where near as much. Sounds like a plan though!

3 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

I don't recall you rinsing your sand, so this is likely the result of that silt settling in the sand.  I'd just vacuum a bit of it at a time at water changes and nothing bad will happen.   

• 4 weeks later...

Been a minute! Not a ton going on. I took out one of the torches to being home and added some tyree rainbow zoas. The lone torch still fills out its area well.

KPWfp0W.jpg

And a picture of the acan rock and its new polyps coming in. I have a hard time balancing the colors on this rock, getting the reds and the greens to show well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

oKd0JbU.jpg