Cultivated Reef

Hobby Lobby = UV Glass

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

If anyone has researhed UV glass, you have most likely read about AR glass, Measeum glass, or UV glass... then you probably ask yourself where you can get it... most glass shops are commercial shops and don't do alot of stuff with these types of glass (they just aren't need for the jobs they do)... However, im here to help you out... these types of glass are used exclusively in high quality picture frames and framing shops... the most common place to find a framing shop.... Hobby Lobby!!! i know it sounds gay, but i read about meuseum glass and realized that it was used for preservation of art and exhibits, so why wouldn't people want the same for their picture frames???... 2 and 2... so they carry Anti-reflective (AR) glass for sure... measeum glass is almost too restrictive on UV rays (they are healthy for the tank and corals in limmited amounts)...

i priced a 24x18" sheet at $22 for anyone interested in price...(hello, it's the diy, everyone is concerned about price)

But i just though this would help... it seems much easier than searching the Yellow pages for glass shops (maybe try Framing shops!!!!)... i don't know how far-spread HL is, but it's big here it the south east...

Comments?

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

it's just normal glass though... it is still plenty of UV protecion, but it isn't Anti-Reflective... i'm sure it makes a differnce... or am i wrong...?

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

???... use a dremmel very carefully w/ a diamont toped grinding bit...??? i don't know.. i would just use a screen of some kind that could be removed and cleaned easily...

Undertheradar

FWIW, glass alone only blocks out a small percentage of UV. I have been doing some research on this due to the same topic being posted avery month or so either here or reefcentral. PFO, as well as many other MH lighting suppliers for DE bulbs, use not only tempered glass, but LoE. The LoE does a more complete job of blocking UV.

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

I too have done my research... I'm here to tell you that 97% of UV rays are blocked by AR (anti-reflective) glass... this is acctually almost too much protection as some inverts need some UV radiation...

I obviously haven't done enough research, because i have never heard of LoE.... tell me more please... and what does it stand for??

• 14 years later...