SaltCritters.com

Bottom-up flow with MP10

Tha New Guy

Building a very small tank and was thinking of placing a MP10 on the bottom. Searched around and can't find anyone thats done this (bottom fed flow). My thinking is that I can run it high power and get decent indirect flow all around. I can place it anywhere but due to size limitation, can't do waves. I'm really after heavy indirect flow but can anyone tell me if this will accomplish that? The final MP10 location will receive a reduction in acrylic from .5" to .25" by drilling and replacing a circle. Thats why I'm asking, so I don't waste. Thanks in advance.

Tank: 1/2" Acrylic 10"x11"x7"...around 2.5 gal display volume.

SelectedByNature

I haven't been at this very long but I did experiment a lot with flow in my 32g cube.

I feel that in a small tank, heavy flow by definition might be direct flow. Heavy indirect flow can be challenging regardless of PH placement but it will depend greatly on your scape and which corals you have.

I tried bottom up flow but due to my scape my Euphyllia didn't like it.

I think you'd be better off with a closed loop. Use a DC pump and an RFG nozzle so you can pulse the flow. Vivid Creative Aquatics makes a 1/2" one that would find nicely into your small display. 

I think you will have issues placing an MP-10 in such a small tank. Bottom up flow does work well. Tunze advocates placing pumps low and angled up towards the surface. 

Sounds like a neat tank you have planned. I look forward to seeing it. 

@SelectedByNature Yeah I think I agree with that, I can experiment around with it, I just didn't like the 1/2" gap for the MP10 but I think it will still run, maybe I can find a position that could work.

@reefist That's a really good idea actually, since I can though I could just run this as an experiment maybe and add a closed loop if I don't like it, thanks for the advice!

7 hours ago, xiaoxiy said:

@schgr.cube did this for a while. Maybe he can chime in!

Yupp, I did this on an ADA 30C!

The build thread is here, but the photos were wrecked with Photobuckets greediness. I think @Christopher Marks has a way of retrieving these, so maybe he can help?

The bottom line was that it worked, but was super susceptible to things getting stuck in it and having it grind up on itself. Sand was a no go, even after creating a few different protective holders for it. If you are going bare bottom, and don't plan on having any snails or anything small enough to get into the grate, then it works perfectly fine. Otherwise, yeah, go with a closed loop. My next version of this build will 100% be going the closed loop route.

In case anyone wants to follow, I'll post some pics. Be aware that this project is just for fun and I know I'm not the best handyman lol.

70mm hole cut in center of tank along with a 76mm for the replacement circle. FYI using these sizes and a tiny bit off the edges makes for a snug fit with a hammer. 

IMG_0111.JPG

IMG_0112.JPG

@schgr.cube haha that's awesome to hear, yes it will be bare bottom and the grate is okay for snails I hope, never had one get in a mp10 before.

So max recommend setting is about 25% of mp10 power, any more than that and it splashes out the top. The flow is really nice, the water coming down makes is a spherical type flow. 

IMG_0119.JPG

IMG_0120.JPG