inTank Media Baskets

Identification please - Good or Bad

Yannis

Tube worms, filter feeders, they are good to have and they  dont cause any harm and are fun to watch.

And if your not talking about the tube worms then I cant really see what it is.

Lol ya sorry the pic is hard to see but I see it know not sure what type of macro it is probably harmless most macros are you can peroxide dip it or keep cutting it back. More of a pain than anything else. I not a big macro guy or much of a fan of the stuff. 

1 hour ago, Yannis said:

Lol Yes I figured... Yeah will probably cut it down ... I dont think its beneficial like Chaeto ..

All macro algae uptake nutrients and heavy metals.  It looks like Caulerpa perhapes Prolifera.  Are the leaves solid, serrated or feathery?  Caulerpa is a fast growing macro algae that will outgrow Chaeto.  I would only allow it on substrate or any rock that doesn’t have anything precious on it.  It is very aggressive and is a good nutrient export mechanism if you prune and remove.  Reef tanks consume organic and inorganic nutrients and produce DOC (dissolved organic carbon).  Macro cultivation should go hand and hand with GAC.

Two red macros in a 55G growout tank:  Red Grapes and Dragons Tongue.

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/8/2017 at 7:23 AM, Yannis said:

Hey Guys , 

Does anyone know what this is ? Shall I keep it ? 

23414485_10215157626633730_20357082_n.jpg

Is it brown?  It looks like sargassum, which is my favorite macro ever!  It needs pretty high light to do well, but if it's anchored in your rock, it has a much better chance of doing well than if it's loose.  I would definitely keep it.  It is a slow grower, not aggressive at all. 

• 4 weeks later...
Tom@HaslettMI
On 11/8/2017 at 7:23 AM, Yannis said:

Hey Guys , 

Does anyone know what this is ? Shall I keep it ? 

23414485_10215157626633730_20357082_n.jpg

Looks like Caulerpa brachypus to me.  It can become a nusiance in the display but makes a good refugium species (from what I’ve read). Please PM me If you still have some and would be willing to ship it. 

Thanks,

Tom

On 11/8/2017 at 6:33 AM, Subsea said:

All macro algae uptake nutrients and heavy metals.  It looks like Caulerpa perhapes Prolifera.  Are the leaves solid, serrated or feathery?  Caulerpa is a fast growing macro algae that will outgrow Chaeto.  I would only allow it on substrate or any rock that doesn’t have anything precious on it.  It is very aggressive and is a good nutrient export mechanism if you prune and remove.  Reef tanks consume organic and inorganic nutrients and produce DOC (dissolved organic carbon).  Macro cultivation should go hand and hand with GAC.

Two red macros in a 55G growout tank:  Red Grapes and Dragons Tongue.

image.jpg

Where can I purchase this?

With you living in California, I doubt that you can purchase any Caulerpa.  Because of over reaction to Caulerpa Taxifolia 30 years ago, all shipment of Caulerpa were banned by California legislation.

On 12/28/2017 at 3:48 PM, Noinoi24 said:

Where can I purchase this?

At this time, I sell Red Grapes only to one local retailer in Austin.  In three months, when I have sufficient inventory of Dragons Tongue, I will sell on line for delivery in Texas only.

• 2 weeks later...