inTank Media Baskets

To kick things off, this thread will be about updates and the progression of my nuvo 10 thats goal is to be a sps dominant aquarium. Iv been lurking around for a while. I started keeping saltwater tanks on and off for the last 14 years but have really started taking it serious for the last 4 years. I started with a 10g glass aquarium with a HOB filter, it was a FOWLR. Then I got a 30 with some softies. Then I got my first AIO the IM Abyss. The Abyss started leaking so IM warrantied it but the tank was no longer available. So they gave me the lagoon 25 and the nuvo 10 in its place. I like both tanks and decided I want the 25 to be softies and LPS and the 10 to be LPS and SPS. Any suggestions from ppl who have thriving SPS corals in a Nano would be very appreciated and pointed out any mistakes I may be making would be noted.

I set up the 10 in September of 2017, and here is where I’m at so far...

B5786145-FF88-44F4-BB32-A1A79BA03224.jpeg

• Like 1

Here is my equipment rundown:

FLOW

I used the new pump from the Lagoon 25, it is a 211GPH pump.

LIGHTING

AI Prime HD 

stock lighit off of a fluval EVO 5 for secondary lighting. 

HEATING

50W Neo-Therm Submersible Heater

FILTRATION 

5lbs of cured live rock

About 5lbs of sand

Stock 200 micron filter sock

Poly-filter 

Reef Glass protein skimmer

ADDITONAL EQUIPMENT 

Micro Smart ATO

2C24D620-F2A8-4C98-A23F-321D137EC5BC.jpeg

AD59AB95-577B-4628-A0D5-B425003A66D6.jpeg

• Like 1

Still have a way to go to make it a sps dominant tank. I need to upgrade my filtration, flow, and lighting. 

Idk if to get a filter caddy and/or add a refugium. I want to put some marine pure in the back chambers.

i want to add a power head, but idk if to save up for a MP-10 or to get a hydor nano.

i love my AI Prime HD, but need secondary lighting to take care of some shadowing.

I think you may be ok with the Prime for SPS.

I LOVE my Intank media basket, if you arent running one its great money spent.

Also super happy with my MP10, i like how slimline it is, and adds no heat to the tank.

3 hours ago, Tautoo said:

I think you may be ok with the Prime for SPS.

I LOVE my Intank media basket, if you arent running one its great money spent.

Also super happy with my MP10, i like how slimline it is, and adds no heat to the tank.

What do u put in your media backet? I have the IM caddy in the lagoon 25 with poly filter and carbon. On this tank Idk what I would use the media backet for. Yeah that’s what I really like about the mp-10.

I run poly filter pad on the top, then a nano bag of chemipure blue on each shelf.

I also run a aq30 as a small fuge in the back.  

Once i exhaust this chemipure ill go back to a little bag of carbon on one shelf, and a little bag of purigen on the other.

On 11/8/2017 at 9:52 AM, Tautoo said:

I run poly filter pad on the top, then a nano bag of chemipure blue on each shelf.

I also run a aq30 as a small fuge in the back.  

Once i exhaust this chemipure ill go back to a little bag of carbon on one shelf, and a little bag of purigen on the other.

Do you get a lot of growth in the  aq30? Im going to figure out how i can fit the most in those back chambers . i want to run marine pure in the rear because i dont have a lot of rock in the display.  Im thinking filter sock and heater in the first chamber with a 2bags of nano blue carbon at the bottom. Then my skimmer and marine pure in the second chamber. I wonder if that chamber that goes along the bottom of the first two  would have any good use for marine pure or anything. i wanna take advantage off all available space. The tank is in my dinning room so i need it to look clean and neat for the wife to be happy. Cant have things sticking out or hanging. 

I do get decent growth out of the aq30, i cut a chunk out every week at water change time.  

Mines in the living room, so i have the same restrictions as far aw the wife goes haha.  If I were you i would strongly consider the intank basket for the first chamber, it really is so nice.  I dont run a skimmer personally, the ones that fit dont do that amazing of a job, and depending on what you ahve in there, a water change weekly will keep your water nice.  

If you do the marine pure I would put it in some panty hose, or a media bag, so it can be taken out and rinsed with water changes to get rid of all the crap that collects on it.  

Heres mine in the living room, dont mind my 3 year olds mess.

Fish tank.jpg

10 hours ago, Tuffryu said:

Nano, I think this is a velvet Monti - judging from the polyp proximity. 

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Montipora+Spongodes&FORM=HDRSC2

How are your water parameters after 5 gallons? That seems like a lot of water for an IM10. With sps, just be careful of fluctuating levels.

To tell you the truth, I don’t know.lol I’m getting a test kit this weekend and start testing. My idea is to export as much nutrients as possible. 

I too will add caution to the 5 gallon water changes every week. I see you are running that skimmer as well. So, your nutrient export should be fine. I would dial back to a 1 gallon water change to supplement the skimmer. If you wanted to, you could do a two gallon water change every other week to help export some more. I do 1 gallon every week on my fusion 10 and 2 gallons every so often. 5 gallons from this tank is about 60-70% of the total water volume, this can cause devastating parameter swings so just keep that in mind.

How is that skimmer by the way?

20 hours ago, MrJDanP said:

I too will add caution to the 5 gallon water changes every week. I see you are running that skimmer as well. So, your nutrient export should be fine. I would dial back to a 1 gallon water change to supplement the skimmer. If you wanted to, you could do a two gallon water change every other week to help export some more. I do 1 gallon every week on my fusion 10 and 2 gallons every so often. 5 gallons from this tank is about 60-70% of the total water volume, this can cause devastating parameter swings so just keep that in mind.

How is that skimmer by the way?

On 11/18/2017 at 12:14 PM, Tuffryu said:

Nano, I think this is a velvet Monti - judging from the polyp proximity. 

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Montipora+Spongodes&FORM=HDRSC2

How are your water parameters after 5 gallons? That seems like a lot of water for an IM10. With sps, just be careful of fluctuating levels.

Thanks for the input guys. I will try going to a 1gallon a week water change. Its doing good I guess, I don’t have anything to compare it too but I get light tea colored skimmate and good build of of gunk on the glass. 

7 minutes ago, TatorTaco said:

The stand is pretty cool!  

Do you have a build thread for the lagoon? 

i dont, the lagoon is like my redheaded step-child.lol But maybe ill start one if it doesn't upset the lagoon  ppl to much. the lagoon is getting all the old equipment i dont wanna us on the 10.lol

• Like 1

So one of my LFS is having a black friday sale. buy 2 get one free on corals. So ill be buying 3 sps corals friday. Any suggestions on some sps to start off with? anything except birdsnests. i just dont like the way they look.

For what it's worth, there are people who do regular 100% water changes on their nano tanks.  Just need to make sure you match your parameters.  I'm not saying it's the way to go, but it is done.

2 hours ago, Ryebreadiest said:

For what it's worth, there are people who do regular 100% water changes on their nano tanks.  Just need to make sure you match your parameters.  I'm not saying it's the way to go, but it is done.

Yeah iv seen that too, but parameters have to be on point! I’ll go to a one gallon a week and see how things go, I can always got to two if I have too.  

Trying to get a variety of colors and textures. I’m probably done buying corals until January.  I also ordered some Cal,Alk, and Mag supplements, and a Red Sea test kit.

• Like 2