Top Shelf Aquatics

Clown's 5g Reef

Clown79

• 1 month later...

so this weekend I am doing a renovation on the aquascape on this tank. I love the tonga and look but in such a small tank it makes it really limited for open space. It's getting harder to clean and my blenny has no hiding spots in the rocks so he's digging holes in the sand like a goby or jawfish.

So we have decided to open up the scape.

Once I am done, I will post pics.

• Like 2
  • Clown79 changed the title to Spec V Mini Reef

Well I got behind with Christmas and my dad retiring, never did an update on the aquascape change. So here I go on what happened.

It turned out to be fairly easy. the steps I took were as followed in case anyone ever wants to do the same or learn from any issues I had this time around.

- made new salt water

- siphoned some water from my tank into containers to put my corals in and my fish in. All containers had airstones added to keep the water oxygenated.

- I removed the tonga branches because they were the issue in a small tank.

- we tried our best to try not to disturb the sand too much but it certainly did get somewhat disturbed.

- we rearranged the rocks that we kept and added a new piece of liverock which was cured. The liverock had feather dusters, bristleworms, and coralline on it so it should have been safe to add.

once we got things as we liked it we used epoxy to keep the rocks together.

I then did a very large water change, about 50% to remove anything that was disturbed. 

I made sure my new batch of SW's parameters matched so we would have no issues.

I then added my corals and fish back in. Some corals were traded in as I wanted to go a different route with this tank.

I had my Seachem Badge in place just to be safe.

Everything seemed fine and looked good.

Just to be extra cautious, I decided to test ammonia 3 days later with API test kit, sure enough I see ammonia, between 0.25 -0.50. It was pretty green. I then tested my nitrites and I had low readings.

I tested my ammonia badge and it was not changing at all, so it wasn't working. It must have expired.

I then tested my other tanks with my API kit, all results were yellow where the Spec was a very noticeable green.

Now nothing in my tank was even acting as though there was ammonia but I decided to start dosing Prime and Stability.

Unfortunately, Prime effects test results outside of Red Sea's kits and Ammonia badge so you have to wait 48hrs to test ammonia to get accurate results. So I dosed Prime 1 day which it works for 48hrs, then tested ammonia with my API. I did see it start to move after 5 days.

It took about a week or so to process but the test did go from a very noticeable green to yellow.

I don't think the issue was the liverock but it is possible, theres a good chance that it was from disturbing the sand, the epoxy I used or a combination.

I have reaquascaped before, changed sand beds, and transferred tanks and this has never occurred before so it's a bit of a mystery.

I lost nothing which was good. 

• Like 2

An update on the tanks specs and maintenance routine

Tank Specs

5.5g Fluval Spec V

Aqueon 600 return pump - no powerhead

Ai Prime Led - light schedule is David Saxby peak/respites but customized 

4 - 5 lbs live rock and caribsea life rock

Caribsea Sand

Filter Media

Filter floss

Kent Marine Carbon

Purigen

Livestock

Bicolor Blenny

Trochus, nassaurius snails

Hermit crabs

Corals

Mutant Hammer

Green Hammer

Rainbow Ricordea

Superman Rhodactis

Green/gold Rhodactis

Blue Ricordea

Various Zoas

Red RFA

Green/orange mouth RFA

Green/white RFA

Ultra Orange RFA

Gracilaria Macro

Maintenance - waterchange day

1.5 - 2g waterchange every week to 2 weeks using Red Sea Blue Bucket salt 

- day of waterchange spot feed frozen food to corals and broadcast feed powder food

- scrape all algae off the glass

- blow the rocks and hard to reach sand with a turkey baster to remove any detritus

- brush off return nozzle of any algae with a toothbrush

- vaccuum sandbed

- rinse media bags lightly to remove buildup 

- change out filter floss 

- change carbon every 2 weeks

- change purigen when it's exhausted

- siphon out back chambers every 2 - 3 weeks

Pump and hoses cleaned every 2-3mnths or as needed

Weekly Maintenance 

Aquavitro Fuel dosed 1 time every 2 weeks

ESV bionic dosed every 3 days

change out floss 

stir sandbed 2 times a week

use turkey baster on rocks

feed blenny frozen 2 times a week the rest is veggie pellets

Foods

cyclops, mysis, and mixed seafood 

Aquaforest Lps food

Omega Veggie pellets

nem 1.jpg

beauty.jpg

nem.jpg

green orange nem.jpg

baby nem.jpg

nem 6.jpg

rainbow ric.jpg

rhodactis 2.jpg

gold.jpg

mutant 2.jpg

boo.jpg

spec 55.jpg

nem5.jpg

spec 3.jpg

• Like 7
  • Wow 2
  • Clown79 changed the title to Clown's 5g Reef
15 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

An update on the tanks specs and maintenance routine

Tank Specs

5.5g Fluval Spec V

Aqueon 600 return pump - no powerhead

Ai Prime Led - light schedule is David Saxby peak/respites but customized 

4 - 5 lbs live rock and caribsea life rock

Caribsea Sand

Filter Media

Filter floss

Kent Marine Carbon

Purigen

Livestock

Bicolor Blenny

Trochus, nassaurius snails

Hermit crabs

Corals

Mutant Hammer

Green Hammer

Rainbow Ricordea

Superman Rhodactis

Green/gold Rhodactis

Blue Ricordea

Various Zoas

Red RFA

Green/orange mouth RFA

Green/white RFA

Ultra Orange RFA

Gracilaria Macro

Maintenance - waterchange day

1.5 - 2g waterchange every week to 2 weeks using Red Sea Blue Bucket salt 

- day of waterchange spot feed frozen food to corals and broadcast feed powder food

- scrape all algae off the glass

- blow the rocks and hard to reach sand with a turkey baster to remove any detritus

- brush off return nozzle of any algae with a toothbrush

- vaccuum sandbed

- rinse media bags lightly to remove buildup 

- change out filter floss 

- change carbon every 2 weeks

- change purigen when it's exhausted

- siphon out back chambers every 2 - 3 weeks

Pump and hoses cleaned every 2-3mnths or as needed

Weekly Maintenance 

Aquavitro Fuel dosed 1 time every 2 weeks

ESV bionic dosed every 3 days

change out floss 

stir sandbed 2 times a week

use turkey baster on rocks

feed blenny frozen 2 times a week the rest is veggie pellets

Foods

cyclops, mysis, and mixed seafood 

Aquaforest Lps food

Omega Veggie pellets

nem 1.jpg

beauty.jpg

nem.jpg

green orange nem.jpg

baby nem.jpg

nem 6.jpg

rainbow ric.jpg

rhodactis 2.jpg

gold.jpg

mutant 2.jpg

boo.jpg

spec 55.jpg

nem5.jpg

spec 3.jpg

Looking good!

i love the RFA with the orange lipstick! 😃

• Like 1
4 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Looking good!

i love the RFA with the orange lipstick! 😃

Holy crap I thought this EXACT same thing and was going to post but ya beat me to it...

• Haha 1

My red rfa is on the move again.

This guy is so indecisive. Lol.

Everyone has stayed in their area but this guy decided to move from a great spot to front glass.

Woke up to find it right back where it started.🤣

20190129_090405.jpg

20190129_091541.jpg

• Like 1

Need to do something with this empty area.

I'd love a floating rock but they aren't cheap.

Also thinking of putting a coral on the back wall.

Any suggestions?

20190129_091834.jpg

A Little Blue

Gorgonian would fill that space nicely and add some motion. Back wall....... easiest way would be to start with GSP mat, Cloves or Xenia. I’m sure there are other option as well. 

I have never had any luck with GSP but for some reason it loves my frag tank lately. 

And to be honest, I kinda like it as well. Even tho I generally can’t stand GSP. 🤣

7D5F8D01-FCFC-4329-A493-6D2D37D00741.thumb.jpeg.1287319c920951c6209deba7e99b7b7a.jpeg

• Like 1
9 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

Gorgonian would fill that space nicely and add some motion. Back wall....... easiest way would be to start with GSP mat, Cloves or Xenia. I’m sure there are other option as well. 

I have never had any luck with GSP but for some reason it loves my frag tank lately. 

And to be honest, I kinda like it as well. Even tho I generally can’t stand GSP. 🤣

7D5F8D01-FCFC-4329-A493-6D2D37D00741.thumb.jpeg.1287319c920951c6209deba7e99b7b7a.jpeg

Love the tank!

I never had luck with gsp either. In all my tanks which sucks cause it's really pretty on the back wall.

2 hours ago, Firefish15 said:

Have you seen any of NanoRox's stuff? They look like good wall mounts.

I have seen them but not sure if they ship to Cda and I can't find an email.

• Like 1
A Little Blue
40 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Love the tank!

I never had luck with gsp either. In all my tanks which sucks cause it's really pretty on the back wall.

I have seen them but not sure if they ship to Cda and I can't find an email.

Yeah, I can’t figure it out either. Not sure what light you’re running on your tank but I think you mentioned Prime HD somewhere. That’s what’s over my frag tank. So, there is a chance it might do well in your tank as well. 

46 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Yeah, I can’t figure it out either. Not sure what light you’re running on your tank but I think you mentioned Prime HD somewhere. That’s what’s over my frag tank. So, there is a chance it might do well in your tank as well. 

On this tank it the regular prime. 

My 25g is the HD.

54 minutes ago, Firefish15 said:

He's a member on this forum. He also has a website. He'll be able to answer your question.

I will have to get in contact with him. Thx

• Like 1
A Little Blue
2 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

On this tank it the regular prime. 

My 25g is the HD.

I will have to get in contact with him. Thx

Still, lighting is similar. You just have to fall behind on maintenance, water changes, testing and you’re good to go. 😂

1 minute ago, A Little Blue said:

Still, lighting is similar. You just have to fall behind on maintenance, water changes, testing and you’re good to go. 😂

😁

I think that was the issue when I tried in the past, the tank was low in nutrients.

I might try again if I can find a cheap frag.

A Little Blue
1 minute ago, Clown79 said:

😁

I think that was the issue when I tried in the past, the tank was low in nutrients.

I might try again if I can find a cheap frag.

Frag wouldn’t be a problem but shipping to North Pole might be. Don’t blast it with light and give it a bit of flow. I noticed it grows most rapidly under those conditions. 

4 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

Frag wouldn’t be a problem but shipping to North Pole might be. Don’t blast it with light and give it a bit of flow. I noticed it grows most rapidly under those conditions. 

That area in the tank is where there is the heaviest flow so if it likes flow, I might get one when I see it in store.

My orange rfa closes up like a ball at night, every night, the only one that does it.

Is this normal?

20190130_030737.jpg

43 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

That area in the tank is where there is the heaviest flow so if it likes flow, I might get one when I see it in store.

My orange rfa closes up like a ball at night, every night, the only one that does it.

Is this normal?

20190130_030737.jpg

My yumas and mini carpet nem ball up like that too. They 'awaken' when I turn my lights on so I guess it is normal. 

Your tank looks great btw. 😀

A Little Blue
3 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Is this normal?

20190130_030737.jpg

My RFA don’t do that but if that is or isn’t normal, I really wouldn’t know. If it’s open during a day and eating, I wouldn’t stress myself about that. 

As to my GSP placement suggestion..... well, it’s exactly that, a suggestion. This has been my experience so far but my track record with GSP isn’t impressive, so keep that in mind. 

Wow clown79, this little tank is gourgeous.  You make me want to set up my 5.5 as more than a feeder shrimp tank.  But alas, I already have more than I oughta.

The RFAs are really nice.  I think a gorge would be nice in the empty spot too.  The corky fingers have longer polyps than a lot of gorges to give motion.  They are just a plain brown or tan though.

On 1/30/2019 at 9:27 AM, vlangel said:

Wow clown79, this little tank is gourgeous.  You make me want to set up my 5.5 as more than a feeder shrimp tank.  But alas, I already have more than I oughta.

The RFAs are really nice.  I think a gorge would be nice in the empty spot too.  The corky fingers have longer polyps than a lot of gorges to give motion.  They are just a plain brown or tan though.

Thank you so much.

It's a fun tank.

I hear you. I have 3 reefs, 1 betta planted tank, and my qt.