Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Justin's Mixed 17G

Justind823

18 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

So weird man,hopefully BRS gets back to you soon,I'm sure its still under warranty. Possible its just a dud pump out of box. 

Yea it is weird and it seems to be happening more often now. Probably turned on and off five times yesterday. I really don't know what the deal is. 

Still haven't heard back from BRS unfortunately. 

11 minutes ago, Justind823 said:

Yea it is weird and it seems to be happening more often now. Probably turned on and off five times yesterday. I really don't know what the deal is. 

Still haven't heard back from BRS unfortunately. 

Could I be the power socket? Like maybe the GFCI socket is acting up. 

14 minutes ago, RustyRocket said:

Could I be the power socket? Like maybe the GFCI socket is acting up. 

Nope...

I tried different sockets and even ran an extension cord to another outlet just to confirm that it's the pump.

Well I heard back from BRS and they are sending me a new pump. :) Hopefully this new one won't give me any trouble otherwise I'll probably move to the Reef Octopus I was looking at. 

In other news I made some LiveAquaria purchases today :naughtydance:

Say hello to the first fish in this tank! Introducing the Randall's Shrimp Goby:

39622637341_b9fac3ed69_c.jpg

39593170122_f2b0b42976_c.jpg

38914717194_c8fd9455cb_c.jpg

38914718044_e1ed2b99ff_c.jpg

The fish is still trying to figure out the tank. I have yet to see it explore into the center rock work but I'm sure it'll figure it out sometime soon :P

I did my best during acclimation to pair it up with a Candy Cane pistol Shrimp I also picked up but they were separated when introduced to the tank. I'm sure they'll find each other soon enough! By that I mean months from now :lol:

The fish is eating and active, so far so good!

I also snagged a Pom Pom crab! But of course that disappeared immediately... 

• Like 7

Got the new pump today! Hopefully this one is better than the last. The past few days the pump was shutting off and on a few times an hour! 

In other news, I picked up a Milwaukee Digital Refractometer which, I'm in love with already, and a Smart ATO Micro. I've been using a simple double float switch from autotopoff.com for years now and I've never had a problem with it so I'm going against my better judgment fixing something that isn't broken. The main reason for the change is I'm going from something that is almost the size of a soda can to something the size of a penny. Hopefully less is more! Time will tell. 

16 hours ago, RollaJase said:

Such a cool fish, I wish they were readily available here in Australia.

I really love the look of this fish! The white fish on white sand with the contrast of it's bright stripes and flashy dorsal fin is a very neat effect. 

4 hours ago, DaveFason said:

A stunner fish. Cant wait to see the tank shape up. I hope some of the gifts are being used! ;)

You know it! Fed the fish with the tube yesterday! 

Oh you reminded me to post the growth I'm getting on my bonsai. It's loving the Tide as much as the tank :lol:

25755501968_fd95662300_c.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

Good news! I found where the pistol shrimp has been hiding! The pistol I received is truly tiny and is now living in within a rock in the front right of the tank. I think the goby knows the shrimp is there and is creeping in close proximity in hopes of pairing up. I'm sure they'll meet one of these days once the pistol becomes more comfortable. I placed some food outside of the rock and it scurried out grabbed it and quickly shot back into the rock.

• Like 1

I'm glad you found him, and they may have found each other.  

Just curious - mine are paired and my goby always comes out to the water column for food.  How does my shrimp eat though?  Does the goby spit some of it up for his pistol buddy?

1 hour ago, TatorTaco said:

I'm glad you found him, and they may have found each other.  

Just curious - mine are paired and my goby always comes out to the water column for food.  How does my shrimp eat though?  Does the goby spit some of it up for his pistol buddy?

Turns out they have in fact paired up. I was feeding the fish and the pistol shrimp crawled out from behind him! Now  pistol shrimp would just go and make a burrow big enough for the goby...

You’re right! The goby will feed the pistol shrimp it’s paired up with. I did observe my yellow watchman doing this. 

“Some species of goby also appear to feed their shrimps, spitting food into the burrow, and even without such deliberate actions it's possible that the shrimps may feed on fragments of food that the gobies drop.”

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

My mp10 dry side was making a horrible whining noise. Took it apart and greased it, maybe not necessarily the right way but all better for the moment!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2018 at 2:27 PM, Justind823 said:

“Some species of goby also appear to feed their shrimps, spitting food into the burrow, and even without such deliberate actions it's possible that the shrimps may feed on fragments of food that the gobies drop.”

Mine goby has not done that. But I’ve seen it filters the food through (as if it were filtering through sand) to the side gills and pistol picks it up. 

My other thought? The goby never poops outside his home, so someone gotta clean it up in there. 

48 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

Mine goby has not done that. But I’ve seen it filters the food through (as if it were filtering through sand) to the side gills and pistol picks it up. 

My other thought? The goby never poops outside his home, so someone gotta clean it up in there. 

Haha now that you mention it, I've actually seen my pistol shamelessly grab a piece of poo from the goby's butt and take it back inside....:lol:

• Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Tank update time! Sorry no pictures just yet...

So here's what has been going on... I've been buying coral like crazy! The tank is coming together nicely. I bought a bubble coral which seemed a lot smaller when I bought it and now it's taking up a significant amount of space on the sand bed. I already have new heads spreading on the zoas I got through the NR Secret Santa prize from Legendary Corals! I also have another order of coral coming from Cultivated Reef on Friday which is very exciting. :naughtydance: 

I purchased a pair of small Ocellaris clowns and just my luck they ended up with ich and of course then so did my goby. I've never quarantined my fish before so I knew one day it would bite me in the ass! The tank has been fallow for a few weeks now :angry:  and the fish are being treated in a separate tank.  The goby was not easy to get out of the tank... I ended up taking all the rock out to get him and subsequently the scape has changed slightly. 

I'm on my second Skimz Queitpro now and this one just started acting up on me. I contacted BRS and they are going to credit me once they receive the pump and I'm just going to get a Reef Octopus instead. It's been fun trying out something new but I'm going to avoid Skimz in the future. 

Hopefully I'll get the camera out soon for some pictures!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Bummer about the no FTS, but I'm glad I came across this, stunning build. Great attention to detail before water even hit! Also, glad to hear you finally got it quiet! Have you tested pulling out the sump yet, I think that might be my favorite part! 

Christopher Marks

Aww what a bummer to hear the fish have ich, but at least you're able to treat them outside the system. Catching them is the hardest part, the disruption is hard to avoid. How are they responding to treatment?

It sounds like all the coral are quite pleased though! Looking forward to seeing some photos of the progress :)

On 2/19/2018 at 1:38 PM, YHSublime said:

Bummer about the no FTS, but I'm glad I came across this, stunning build. Great attention to detail before water even hit! Also, glad to hear you finally got it quiet! Have you tested pulling out the sump yet, I think that might be my favorite part! 

FTS coming soon! Next week hopefully. I'm on a gig out of town so I'll get the camera out when I get back.

Thanks for the compliment! I tried to create something that was very functional and looked great in our space. I didn't want to move away from my stand I was using on the last tank so it was just a matter of building it out a little more.

I tested out the sump shortly after setting it up and it's great. Just a few things to disconnect and the rest of the wiring has enough slack to move with the drawer. It'll make a deep sump cleaning an ease!

On 2/19/2018 at 4:45 PM, Christopher Marks said:

Aww what a bummer to hear the fish have ich, but at least you're able to treat them outside the system. Catching them is the hardest part, the disruption is hard to avoid. How are they responding to treatment?

It sounds like all the coral are quite pleased though! Looking forward to seeing some photos of the progress :)

Yea I'm happy I caught it when I did and pulled them from the tank! The clowns were just getting to the stage where they didn't want to eat but a little garlic mixed with their food fixed that.  They look great now and are happily swimming around the qt tank along with the goby!

11 hours ago, DaveFason said:

Keep on, keeping on. Hope to see a few photos soon. :) 

Coming soon to a thread near you 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Ah! So much for saving these fish... :tears:

Woke up yesterday morning to all of them dead. I have no idea what happened! They were all looking healthy, eating and ich free after their treatment. They had about a month to go until they could go back in the main tank.  The heater and pump seem to be functioning just fine so I ruled that out.  It's either the dominant clown killed the other which seems unlikely because they only had light scuffles as if they were becoming a pair. That orr something got into the tank and fouled the water. The tank was in the kitchen so maybe some soap? It was far away from the tank so that also seems unlikely. 

I'm pretty bummed about that happening. I'm probably going to wait until the end of April to get new fish as the main tank needs to stay fallow until the end of the month. I figure I might as well wait until the end of April to be completely sure the tank is parasite free!

• Sad 4
RustyRocket
57 minutes ago, Justind823 said:

Ah! So much for saving these fish... :tears:

Woke up yesterday morning to all of them dead. I have no idea what happened! They were all looking healthy, eating and ich free after their treatment. They had about a month to go until they could go back in the main tank.  The heater and pump seem to be functioning just fine so I ruled that out.  It's either the dominant clown killed the other which seems unlikely because they only had light scuffles as if they were becoming a pair. That orr something got into the tank and fouled the water. The tank was in the kitchen so maybe some soap? It was far away from the tank so that also seems unlikely. 

I'm pretty bummed about that happening. I'm probably going to wait until the end of April to get new fish as the main tank needs to stay fallow until the end of the month. I figure I might as well wait until the end of April to be completely sure the tank is parasite free!

Dang...that sucks man. What's your stocking list now? Any changes?

1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

Sorry to hear @Justind823 :( 

Thanks CM

46 minutes ago, RustyRocket said:

Dang...that sucks man. What's your stocking list now? Any changes?

Yea it does! 

I'd like it to be the same. Although I think I might go back to a yellow watchman goby like I had in my 9G. I'd prefer to get some tank raised fish. I have a gift card for LiveAquaria and they sell ORA fish. They have clownfish but the yellow watchman is the only shrimp goby they sell. The Randall's goby was very cool though so we'll see what I end up buying when the time comes!