Pod Your Reef

Justin's Mixed 17G

Justind823

On 7/26/2019 at 1:31 PM, Justind823 said:

New FTS!

Tank is humming along! I am up to 6.5 tsp of kalk in the ATO. I see getting back to auto dosing in my future...

Edit: OH! Right, I forgot to mention I upgraded to a NanoBox Duo 😎

Thanks @DaveFason

FTS2.thumb.jpg.b69442c46771d3f06dc3ecc274f3652b.jpg

On 7/26/2019 at 6:07 PM, medinar83 said:

Beautiful display! More photos a la @YHSublime style would be awesome! 

Thanks very much! 

Haha more coming soon... 

Until then bumping this to the next page!

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/21/2019 at 8:24 AM, Christopher Marks said:

Stunning as always @Justind823! How are things settling in this month with the new NanoBox Duo upgrade?

The Duo has been really great for everything so far. The extra light distribution has colored up some of my corals already. From a design perspective, @DaveFason lights are the best looking option for nano aquariums 

In other news I'm going to get away from the kalk in my ato and start dosing Tropic Marin's Carbo‑Calcium via doser. Kalk has kept everything fairly stable but I'd like to get a little more precise with what I'm dosing and for my tank's demands this seems like a good route. I'd love to stick with just doing water changes but I'm just not home enough to stay on a regular schedule with it. Sometimes it's more than two weeks before I can get around to a waterchange. I'm excited to try this stuff out so I'll keep you all updated

• Like 3
On 8/27/2019 at 1:42 PM, Justind823 said:

The Duo has been really great for everything so far. The extra light distribution has colored up some of my corals already. From a design perspective, @DaveFason lights are the best looking option for nano aquariums 

I have an opportunity to buy a used nanobox up my way that would be perfect spread for my tank. I'm having a hard time convincing myself that it would be better than my current custom built lights, the only feature might be that it's sleeker and lighter. I should reach out to Dave.

On 8/27/2019 at 1:42 PM, Justind823 said:

In other news I'm going to get away from the kalk in my ato and start dosing Tropic Marin's Carbo‑Calcium via doser. Kalk has kept everything fairly stable but I'd like to get a little more precise with what I'm dosing and for my tank's demands this seems like a good route. I'd love to stick with just doing water changes but I'm just not home enough to stay on a regular schedule with it. Sometimes it's more than two weeks before I can get around to a waterchange. I'm excited to try this stuff out so I'll keep you all updated

I'm in the same boat as you. Travel quite a bit, and would like to do just water changes to keep up, but that is unrealistic with my life right now. FWIW, I've been using ESV 2 part on a Bubble Magus doser, and I have been rocking stable alk numbers for the past year. Every tank is different, but I think you'd be surprised at how little your tank probably requires. At 30+ acro colonies in 22 gallons I'm only up to 15ml of each solution daily. 

• Like 1
On 8/28/2019 at 6:16 PM, YHSublime said:

I have an opportunity to buy a used nanobox up my way that would be perfect spread for my tank. I'm having a hard time convincing myself that it would be better than my current custom built lights, the only feature might be that it's sleeker and lighter. I should reach out to Dave.

I'm in the same boat as you. Travel quite a bit, and would like to do just water changes to keep up, but that is unrealistic with my life right now. FWIW, I've been using ESV 2 part on a Bubble Magus doser, and I have been rocking stable alk numbers for the past year. Every tank is different, but I think you'd be surprised at how little your tank probably requires. At 30+ acro colonies in 22 gallons I'm only up to 15ml of each solution daily. 

Yea, my tank's consumption is pretty minimal but I'm mostly trying to get away from using kalk in my ato. It's a mess and it's definitely not as accurate as I want. This single doser setup is more up my alley and so far so good with it. I have it dialed in and it's holding the numbers steady.

A NanoBox unit would look pretty slick above your tank 😄

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

To clarify what's going on here...

I had to bring all my livestock to my in laws. The power was out for 4 days and when our generator quit I had to make a decision on what to do so it all got packed up in a few buckets and went on a road trip. I bought some equipment when everything landed and here's the setup! I'll have to deal with moving it back in a few days but I suppose it gives me an opportunity to consider what I want to change about my current setup at home and get it done while it's empty

Good approach to take a negative and make something positive out of it.  Your tank looked great before, but this will give you the chance to make any little tweeks that you didn't like.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, kimdawg said:

Good approach to take a negative and make something positive out of it.  Your tank looked great before, but this will give you the chance to make any little tweeks that you didn't like.

Exactly! Right now I'm thinking of cutting back on the rock and getting more SPS to fill that space with growth

22 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

Man that is crazy,what's up with these outages ?! Are they controlled or what ? 

Yea it's pretty much PG&E covering their liability. They were sued over the fires and lost and now during times of high fire danger, which is this time of year, they shut down the power. This way they can't be held responsible for starting a fire. If their infrastructure was well maintained to begin with then the go to would not be shutting down the whole bay area.

• Wow 1
11 hours ago, Justind823 said:

Exactly! Right now I'm thinking of cutting back on the rock and getting more SPS to fill that space with growth

Yea it's pretty much PG&E covering their liability. They were sued over the fires and lost and now during times of high fire danger, which is this time of year, they shut down the power. This way they can't be held responsible for starting a fire. If their infrastructure was well maintained to begin with then the go to would not be shutting down the whole bay area.

Wow that is just ridiculous. I want to say I heard that on the radio all the way down here in FL. 

• Like 1

20191014_133815.thumb.jpg.b494435910cb5503e6e34e99ac8f00a0.jpg

LOL

Well, deep cleaning time. The sump was sitting without water movement for 5 days so it's time for a makeover. I'm making sure I scrub everything so I don't cause a cycle

• Like 5

Now that I've had to remove all of the sand bed I'm wondering if I want to go barebottom, crank up the MP10, and go full SPS 😀

I haven't decided on what my plans are yet but it might be the way I go 

Anyway - here's my cat enjoying the ride back from the inlaw's place.

20191014_133929.thumb.jpg.82bfc41177e689bf69a3398b1cb80069.jpg

• Like 4

I have to say, I am very impressed with your dedication in dealing with what would probably be an unavoidable catastrophe for most people's tanks! To break down a whole mature reef, pack it up, move it, and then move it back takes the sort of decisiveness that doesn't come around every day. Bravo! 🙏👍

Can't wait to see what the reef looks like in its newest incarnation. I'm sure it will be even more beautiful than before. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, billygoat said:

I have to say, I am very impressed with your dedication in dealing with what would probably be an unavoidable catastrophe for most people's tanks! To break down a whole mature reef, pack it up, move it, and then move it back takes the sort of decisiveness that doesn't come around every day. Bravo! 🙏👍

Can't wait to see what the reef looks like in its newest incarnation. I'm sure it will be even more beautiful than before. 

Haha thanks! It was a lot to go through but the decision had to be made and I'm glad we ended up packing it up rather than trying to deal with no power for a few more days. 

Actually I need to thank again my Secret Santa @ninjamyst!!!

Those battery operated air pumps really came in handy for this whole thing. I'm amazed how long they lasted on just battery power alone

I'm still toying with what direction I want to go here...

I said bare bottom but I just don't think I can not have sand in my tank 😅

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Justind823 said:

Haha thanks! It was a lot to go through but the decision had to be made and I'm glad we ended up packing it up rather than trying to deal with no power for a few more days. 

Actually I need to thank again my Secret Santa @ninjamyst!!!

Those battery operated air pumps really came in handy for this whole thing. I'm amazed how long they lasted on just battery power alone

I'm still toying with what direction I want to go here...

I said bare bottom but I just don't think I can not have sand in my tank 😅

My tank had gone bare bottom a while now.  Not having any sand was a big plus when I had to deal with dino a couple months ago one less area for it to take hold.  So no sand has its perks. 

I still wanted to keep a pistol shrimp at some point, so there's still a brand new bag of sand sitting in the back storage room.  But I just can't pull the trigger on dumping it back in. 😅

decision, decisions..... 

Let me put my hand up as high as I can in the air for a bare bottom tank vote! 

Sand is great and all, but I'm looking for as little maintenance as possible, and sand comes with some level of responsibility. Try it out, you'll be dangerously close to falling in love. 

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

Sand is great and all, but I'm looking for as little maintenance as possible, and sand comes with some level of responsibility. Try it out, you'll be dangerously close to falling in love. 

That’s about summed up how I’m feeling about sand now. No sandbed maintenance had made life a lot easier for sure. 

• Like 1

Going BB with years of a established bed,are you worried about a influx of invasive algae popping up ? 

I know BRS SLOWLY took a cup a day out of one of their tanks and a few strains of unwanted algae started popping up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YHSublime said:

Let me put my hand up as high as I can in the air for a bare bottom tank vote! 

1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

That’s about summed up how I’m feeling about sand now. No sandbed maintenance had made life a lot easier for sure. 

Those are good points to consider. I am away from the tank often so cutting down on maintenance anywhere I can would be a plus. Once I get it rescaped and get the coral rehabilitated I'll decide what I want to do. I need to take a good look at a happy tank with no sand bed before I know for sure

1 hour ago, Reefkid88 said:

Going BB with years of a established bed,are you worried about a influx of invasive algae popping up ? 

I know BRS SLOWLY took a cup a day out of one of their tanks and a few strains of unwanted algae started popping up. 

Yea I hear yah but I didn't have a choice here - it's already gone. I had to get rid of it because it was sitting for days with a few dead ceriths that were left behind. With all the die-off I wasn't going to risk it. I ended up scrubbing the tank and sump to be safe.

48 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

Also, your cat is a lush. 

😁 Yea she's 20 and a cares deeply about her comfort. As long as that wool hut is around she doesn't care where she is

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...

Hello all! 

Long time no update eh?

I was super busy with work and I neglected the tank for most of the begining of the year... It has a lot of GHA going on right now but I think it's coming around! To help out I added the small IceCap algae scrubber about 3 weeks ago and I'm now starting to get some growth. Hopefully that will help the tank bounce back and stop looking so crummy. The other issue was my RODI was reading 5ppm and I have no idea how long thats been going on for. 😑 I've since replaced all the filters and got that back to 0. 

Anyway, enough with this tank right?! I'm starting a new build and I plan on moving all my livestock over once it's ready so stay tuned for those plans! 😅

Oh I've been starting to post on Instagram as well so if you're into that come check it out 👍

• Like 2

Glad to see an update bud and I hope everything is going good !!!

At least the scrubber is helping and I'm sure the tank will be back to its normal glorious self. What's the deets on the new build,bigger system I assume ?!