Innovative Marine Aquariums

Justin's Mixed 17G

Justind823

On 11/15/2017 at 6:29 PM, Justind823 said:

Went to Aquatic Collection in Hayward for the first time today and I must say the place is great. Good prices and a great selection and a knowledgeable staff to boot.

@Felicia informed me they keep Reel Reef Rock in stock and fully cured so I picked up a bucket full! I'll keep it in the bucket for the time being until I'm ready to get the tank up and running. I'm excited to start working on a scape soon!

37559591505_5a0fcd0db0_c.jpg

Nice looking rock! Glad to hear you stopped by Aquatic Collection. They're definitely a great local business. They always have a nice selection and everyone there is super helpful. I love just going in to hang out, look at all the new goodies, and chat with the owners and employees. ?

On 11/18/2017 at 6:04 PM, Felicia said:

Nice looking rock! Glad to hear you stopped by Aquatic Collection. They're definitely a great local business. They always have a nice selection and everyone there is super helpful. I love just going in to hang out, look at all the new goodies, and chat with the owners and employees. ?

Yes I really enjoyed their store. I wish I lived closer to an LFS like that!

Went all out on Black Friday? What did you get?

Dood, I picked up a VarioS2 for the mame overflow from you. Got the brushes in the mail too. Looking to set that up soon when I get my Display tank. 

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics:

Before: 

26978848489_c348018749_c.jpg

After: 

38754767391_64f3077df8_c.jpg

With pull out sump! Woo!

38754766551_a951fcbf18_c.jpg

I cleaned up the metal stand, polyurethaned the crap out of it and braced the inside of the tank to compensate for the larger tank. The plywood inside the stand toward the top is where all my wiring will be. I created a box to house everything with a removable magnet lid so it will all be hidden. YES! My favorite addition is the drawer sump. It should be as simple as draining a little water and unhooking the plumbing unions to pull out the sump for a thorough cleaning.

I ended up sticking with the Eshopps overflow mostly because I never ordered the other one I was looking at...so here we are! I'm happy to report: drilling the tank went smoothly :D

As you can see on top of the sump I created a wood mount for the NB fixture that was over my planted tank. I took that tank down after the fires too so I figured it would be useful for growing chaeto!

The stand is pretty much there now. Next steps are installing the plumbing and finishing up with all the wiring!

On 11/27/2017 at 4:34 PM, RustyRocket said:

Went all out on Black Friday? What did you get?

Dood, I picked up a VarioS2 for the mame overflow from you. Got the brushes in the mail too. Looking to set that up soon when I get my Display tank. 

Haha yes exactly. I ordered two Eheim heaters, my Skimz return pump, a BioPlate, CaribSea Argonite, and a couple things for my secret santa gift. I feel like there was more but I'm blanking...

Good choice for the pump! I was looking at that one for my new build. If the Skimz doesn't work out I'll probably just go for that one. Get going on the setup man! 

• Like 6
  • Wow 2
58 minutes ago, xiaoxiy said:

Will that shelf support a full sump or will you empty it when you need to slide it out?

Yeah it's overbuilt with 200# sliders but I'd probably empty it halfway before sliding it out. I'll need to do a test with the tanks fully loaded which I'll do when I leak test the plumbing. The stand is going to be anchored to the wall as well

• Like 2
2 hours ago, slowngreen said:

Do you live in the woods? Have you seen Stranger Things? I'd be careful. lol. 

Slick stand setup, nice have the sump slide.

Haha I'll look out for a demogorgon now that you mention it...

Thanks

• Haha 1

very nice. 

You are to a great start.  Keeps the pix coming.  I sure will keep an eyes out on your progress. :)

I have a very similar setup just like your

I bought the same tank last year and when I go to drill it , the tank cracked on me .  I ended up buying another tank and went with acrylic the second time.

1 hour ago, ifarmer said:

very nice. 

You are to a great start.  Keeps the pix coming.  I sure will keep an eyes out on your progress. :)

I have a very similar setup just like your

I bought the same tank last year and when I go to drill it , the tank cracked on me .  I ended up buying another tank and went with acrylic the second time.

Bummer about the cracked tank! It's nerve racking everytime I drill one.

I will keep the pictures coming!

Do you have a tank thread?

3 hours ago, Justind823 said:

Yeah it's overbuilt with 200# sliders but I'd probably empty it halfway before sliding it out. I'll need to do a test with the tanks fully loaded which I'll do when I leak test the plumbing. The stand is going to be anchored to the wall as well

I was gonna say those slides look heavy-duty commercial-furniture grade. You might have to worry about the weight tipping the stand over when slid out. 

The build looks great!

I just got the same aquamaxx tank on a marine depot black friday deal. It looks good, except I'm wondering if the silicone is a little lacking. On the inside corners, I can get my finger nails in the crack between the glass. Seems to me like it might be a place for algae to grow that would he hard to clean. Did you notice anything like that? 

Also I like what you have done with the stand. What size tank is your sump? 

1 hour ago, mp216 said:

I just got the same aquamaxx tank on a marine depot black friday deal. It looks good, except I'm wondering if the silicone is a little lacking. On the inside corners, I can get my finger nails in the crack between the glass. Seems to me like it might be a place for algae to grow that would he hard to clean. Did you notice anything like that? 

I haven't had any problems with algae growing in the corners,easily comes off using a toothbrush. Never noticed any really building up in between the panes of glass. 

I love what you've done with the stand! The slide out shelf for the sump is really cool. How are you going to handle all the tubing and wires and plumbing that go into the sump when you pull it out?

How are you liking the Nano Box for the display and the Fuge? I've got a Gen2 radion which I plan to use for the main light, but looking at what Fuge light is good. 

Are you planning to hard plumb your set up? I'm struggling with straightening the vinyl tubing as it comes in tucked circular. 

On 12/1/2017 at 4:55 PM, micoastreefing said:

I was gonna say those slides look heavy-duty commercial-furniture grade. You might have to worry about the weight tipping the stand over when slid out. 

The build looks great!

Yea they are some heavy duty ones for sure. I'm going to have the stand anchored to the wall for this reason. I plan on draining most of the water out of the front chamber before pulling the sump out. I'll only be doing a thorough clean once a month or so anyway

On 12/1/2017 at 5:42 PM, Type-H20 said:

Cool setup.  Like the sliding shelf.  Assuming you’re going with flex tubing to plumb this?

Yep! Flex PVC from Glass-holes.com 

On 12/1/2017 at 5:55 PM, mp216 said:

Hmm I'll have to look out for this but it wasn't something I noticed. It's an old Mr.Aqua 7G cube that I built out. I've been using it for almost five(?) years now - - the same sump I used on my previous build.

On 12/2/2017 at 12:48 PM, teenyreef said:

I love what you've done with the stand! The slide out shelf for the sump is really cool. How are you going to handle all the tubing and wires and plumbing that go into the sump when you pull it out?

Thanks! I have unions on all the flex PVC plumbing that are pretty easy to unscrew. I'm also going to try and keep the right amount of slack on the wiring to allow the drawer to pull out smoothly. Keeping wiring clean is always a challenge that I don't look forward to.:eek:

On 12/4/2017 at 1:52 PM, RustyRocket said:

How are you liking the Nano Box for the display and the Fuge? I've got a Gen2 radion which I plan to use for the main light, but looking at what Fuge light is good. 

Are you planning to hard plumb your set up? I'm struggling with straightening the vinyl tubing as it comes in tucked circular. 

So far I've only used the NB unit on the display -  this is the first time I'll be using one on the sump. The one on the sump doesn't have the full LED array that comes with the MINIs,  it uses a 5 led strip that was used on the BEAMs. For the record, I'd always recommend Nanobox.

No hard plumbing for me! It's all flex PVC. For the vinyl tubing you can straighten it out by hitting it with a heat gun on a low setting or a hair dryer. That will help out a lot. I'd also recommend sticking a wooden dowel through it while heating so that it will stay straight after it cools.

I finally finished up glueing the plumbing together last night. WATER TEST TODAY!:scarry::naughtydance:

• Like 1
23 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Good call on the flex pvc. I've thought about doing the same when I do a "big" tank some day.

I love the stuff. I really cuts down on the vibration and splashing you get with hard plumbing

12 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

So far this build looks awesome, and the drawer feature is really clever! Can't wait to see where this goes!

Glad to have you on board!

The tank is setup! I ended up kiddie cornering it where it used to be in the the living room so I can have an easier time viewing it from all sides B)

Still working on cleaning it up. The overflow is a bit loud...maybe I'm just used to the MAME which was dead silent.

I'm also still messing with the scape, so you can't see how it looks just yet! 

• Like 1

Justin, I have the eheim 9 g, the overflow mame and an eheim compactOn 2100 return pump and difficulty adjusting the return to overflow. There is a loud gurgling sound. Your mame was dead silent. Any tips? much appreciate. Also, I don't have the silencer cap; any idea what can I use instead?

Actually your 9g was my inspiration. I loved that tank.