Coral Vue Hydros

Justin's Mixed 17G

Justind823

On 11/17/2018 at 11:14 AM, Nano sapiens said:

Corals and fish look great...and nice and clean, too 👍

Loosing the 9g must have been disheartening, but good to hear that the house and all was spared.

Thanks! 

Yea that time was rough but it could of been much worse.

On 11/17/2018 at 11:21 AM, YHSublime said:

Everything is looking really nice! I'm very jealous of the sump/fuge area. I've never been able to grow anything, but I've started giving some Dragons Breath a shot. It's not died, but it's not growing either....

You know it took awhile for the chaeto to acclimate and I thought it was a goner. It's growing nicely now, not sure what I changed. I do have a heavy hand with feeding and no skimmer 

I love dragons breath - good choice. I hope it takes off for you.

On 11/15/2018 at 6:58 PM, Justind823 said:

PICS

45177051874_b7b7ba4971_c.jpg

45851455682_a4315aca4a_c.jpg

45177053104_e4d16157e8_c.jpg

30962137487_02daeb8cb6_c.jpg

45851458642_3802b95799_c.jpg

45177055704_3124f596f9_c.jpg

Turns out that Curlique anemone that hitchiked on my chaeto order is huge! 

45901051681_f42a4bc22c_c.jpg

FTS tomorrow!

Bringing pics to the new page

On 11/17/2018 at 10:17 AM, Justind823 said:

FTS!

44998722105_1bf3215803_c.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
  • 3 weeks later...

A local reefer was breaking down his tank so I picked up his coral and clean up crew a week ago. He had a pistol shrimp that had never paired up with his goby hiding in the rocks so I took it home as well. It didn't look like any goby shrimp that I had seen before so I put the little guy in the sump for the time being. Turns out the shrimp isn't into gobies at all, in fact it's very fond of that hitchhiking anemone I ended up with when I bought my chaeto. Accidental symbiosis! I never thought I'd end up with a curlique/ pistol pair. The relationship is really neat to watch. 

Since they paired up I decided to clean the home up a bit and I added a piece of PVC for the pistol shrimp which it took to immediately.  

Recent pic of the anemone in the sump - I need to get a new pic of the new setup

45901051681_f42a4bc22c_c.jpg

• Like 6

Quick cell vid of the monsters that live in my sump

46331184651_eb270ed655_c.jpg

Yes I know I have a ton of hair algae in my sump 😄 but it only grows down there so I'm not complaining!

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
2 hours ago, Fel said:

Glad to see he made it to a good home!

Yeah everything that I got from you looks great!  The pistol seems very happy to have that anemone now too

1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

Congratulations on reaching the first year milestone @Justind823! 🎉

That new pistol shrimp is really cool looking, good video clip! How neat it's taking to the curlicue anemone too!

Thanks CM!

It's really a great relationship to watch

• Like 1

Here's a cell pic of the sump setup for the nem and pistol.  I put in a PVC elbow and broke up the big rock to pile it on top. The pistol some how coaxed the anemone to the top of the PVC near the opening. It's really amazing how those animals work together

2018-12-17_10-26-00

• Like 3
  • Wow 2

A buddy of mine was staying at our place this past weekend and was having some fun with his Iphone. He shared with me so I thought I'd share with you all. Nothing too exciting but they are fun captures

My pistol shrimp had just molted the night before this short timelapse

• Like 5
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/8/2019 at 10:36 AM, JR! said:

What a beautiful reef sir 😎

Thanks man! Good to see you around again. Getting the itch?

On 1/9/2019 at 5:57 PM, vlangel said:

I used to have a shrimp/ curlique pair.  They are cool.

Awesome reef and fun sump.

Thanks very much! 

Indeed they are a fun pair

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Came home from a work trip and everything looked great! Except for my hammer frag...

At first it just looked like it was doing the usual poop thing but when I walked back later it wasn't looking any better.  So I check under the polyps and noticed the flesh looked grayish in one spot... and then the gray moved!

I immediately grabbed it and threw it into a cup and removed this beast of a flatworm with the forceps. The whole hammer was covered in eggs pretty much all the way around. I'm very happy I caught it before things got worse, as in before I had hundreds of these things slithering around my tank.  So far I haven't noticed any indication it's laid eggs on anything else and the rest of the Euphyllia looks healthy so here's hoping!

I had never heard of large Euphyllia eating flatworms before but I'm not surprised. For everything there is in the ocean there is something that's eating it.

46908215991_0e71b0f332_c.jpg

33032931548_00bf31b3a9_c.jpg     46856100252_41452869bc_c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
7 hours ago, Justind823 said:

Came home from a work trip and everything looked great! Except for my hammer frag...

At first it just looked like it was doing the usual poop thing but when I walked back later it wasn't looking any better.  So I check under the polyps and noticed the flesh looked grayish in one spot... and then the gray moved!

I immediately grabbed it and threw it into a cup and removed this beast of a flatworm with the forceps. The whole hammer was covered in eggs pretty much all the way around. I'm very happy I caught it before things got worse, as in before I had hundreds of these things slithering around my tank.  So far I haven't noticed any indication it's laid eggs on anything else and the rest of the Euphyllia looks healthy so here's hoping!

I had never heard of large Euphyllia eating flatworms before but I'm not surprised. For everything there is in the ocean there is something that's eating it.

46908215991_0e71b0f332_c.jpg

33032931548_00bf31b3a9_c.jpg     46856100252_41452869bc_c.jpg

is it weird that the "blob" didn't really bother me, but as soon as I saw the eggs, I gagged a little? 🤢🤮  

• Like 1