Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Justin's Mixed 17G

Justind823

22 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

Sweet baby jesus,that thing looks huge !!! Thank goodness you caught that before it got any worse. 

16 hours ago, JR! said:

🤮🤮🤮

15 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

is it weird that the "blob" didn't really bother me, but as soon as I saw the eggs, I gagged a little? 🤢🤮  

Not at all...I thought the flatworm was pretty cool to watch. It would have been more enjoyable if it wasn't eating my coral of course! 

The amount of eggs on the hammer was disturbing. I imagined all of them hatching and becoming the plague of my tank 🤢

2 hours ago, YHSublime said:

So what's your action plan?

I ended up tossing the hammer as I didn't want to risk it. It was covered in at least three times more eggs than what is pictured. Plus I dip all my corals and this thing got through - I guess that's why they say QT your corals as well! 

I visually inspected the rest of my Euphyllia a few times now and I can't see any signs that it was on anything but my hammer frag. I'll keep an eye on the system and just hope I caught it before it got any worse!

1 hour ago, William said:

I had one of those ..... I didn’t think that they ate euphyllia, just snails, clams, etc 

Yea I found a few threads on other reef sites of people with the same issue. One of which had it a lot worse than me - a dip of their coral revealed 10 or so of these things.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Justind823 said:

Came home from a work trip and everything looked great! Except for my hammer frag...

At first it just looked like it was doing the usual poop thing but when I walked back later it wasn't looking any better.  So I check under the polyps and noticed the flesh looked grayish in one spot... and then the gray moved!

I immediately grabbed it and threw it into a cup and removed this beast of a flatworm with the forceps. The whole hammer was covered in eggs pretty much all the way around. I'm very happy I caught it before things got worse, as in before I had hundreds of these things slithering around my tank.  So far I haven't noticed any indication it's laid eggs on anything else and the rest of the Euphyllia looks healthy so here's hoping!

I had never heard of large Euphyllia eating flatworms before but I'm not surprised. For everything there is in the ocean there is something that's eating it.

46908215991_0e71b0f332_c.jpg

33032931548_00bf31b3a9_c.jpg     46856100252_41452869bc_c.jpg

Bringing this to the next page

• Thanks 1
2019-01-29_05-22-16

Anyone have a guess on this recovering coral? Looks like baby fungia but I can't be certain.  

Yes my goby has become quite a ham. Always looking for food and it shows - a lot more plump from when I first got it.

• Like 3

Oh man...this isnt what you want to see! Take it out and burn it with fire. I had something similar but its a translucent white color. At first I thought I didnt have much luck with Euphilias until I found these things. I found 1 on a torch coral and in the process of taking it out I snipped it in half with tweezers. Took out half couldnt find the other half. Thinking it must be dead and a done deal. Next thing I know 2 weeks later. All my torches and hammers were pretty much gone...

TDLR: I am an idiot when it comes to flatworms...

44 minutes ago, Justind823 said:

2019-01-29_05-22-16

Anyone have a guess on this recovering coral? Looks like baby fungia but I can't be certain.  

Yes my goby has become quite a ham. Always looking for food and it shows - a lot more plump from when I first got it.

I'd agree with you there. Looks like baby Fungias. 

1 hour ago, RustyRocket said:

same same

1 hour ago, Justind823 said:

2019-01-29_05-22-16

hes a good looking fish.  gobys are the best

• Like 1
Tom@HaslettMI
2 hours ago, Justind823 said:

2019-01-29_05-22-16

The polyps look like fungia but the skeleton is not right. The septa of a fungia are much lager and all radiate out from the center in a straight line.  It could be a recovering lithophyllon, but that’s a total guess. 

Tom

12 minutes ago, Tom@HaslettMI said:

The polyps look like fungia but the skeleton is not right. The septa of a fungia are much lager and all radiate out from the center in a straight line.  It could be a recovering lithophyllon, but that’s a total guess. 

Tom

Based on the skeleton the polyps are on I think you're right. Thanks for that! I'll see how it progresses to confirm

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Justind823 said:

2019-01-29_05-22-16

I do not know what kind of coral it is but it looks to be quite nice!

I love all gobies and blennies.  They have great personalities.  And yes, yours appears to be thriving.

On 1/30/2019 at 5:41 AM, vlangel said:

I do not know what kind of coral it is but it looks to be quite nice!

I love all gobies and blennies.  They have great personalities.  And yes, yours appears to be thriving.

Yea I'm pretty sure Tom is right about the ID after closer inspection

It's true they are always characters and bring a lot of life to an aquarium. This one is always chasing my clowns around trying to clean them. They'll allow a scrub from time to time but mostly they are doing a dance to shake the goby off. 😂

• Like 1
On 1/29/2019 at 6:10 PM, RustyRocket said:

Oh man...this isnt what you want to see! Take it out and burn it with fire. I had something similar but its a translucent white color. At first I thought I didnt have much luck with Euphilias until I found these things. I found 1 on a torch coral and in the process of taking it out I snipped it in half with tweezers. Took out half couldnt find the other half. Thinking it must be dead and a done deal. Next thing I know 2 weeks later. All my torches and hammers were pretty much gone...

TDLR: I am an idiot when it comes to flatworms...

Hah! No fire but it did get flushed.

Crazy that you had them too having never heard about them until mine. 

Yea if you chop one in half you just make another! Damn flatworms...

How are things going now? Are you just starving them out before trying again or have you saved some of your euphyllia with dips?

On 8/15/2018 at 2:42 PM, Justind823 said:

I agree,  the Nero is a little steep.

The more I think about it the more I'd like to use my mp10 again.  My problem is a need to mount the pump to the back of the tank (personal preference) but I can't get a flow direction I'm happy with.  

Also it looks like the rn-1 would have the same issue but flow might be wide enough where it's not a problem.  

I saw on R2R some one had 3D printed this for a larger MP but I'm not a member there.  Anyone want to make this for me?😁 Looks like it would be fun to play around with though the footprint might be a pita... maybe a shallower dome. 

2018-08-15_11-39-52

im almost done building my printer. ill take a look into making these

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, JR! said:

Oh nice! I gave up on the whole thing but I'd take one if you're into it. It would be fun to mess around with

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Justind823 said:

Hah! No fire but it did get flushed.

Crazy that you had them too having never heard about them until mine. 

Yea if you chop one in half you just make another! Damn flatworms...

How are things going now? Are you just starving them out before trying again or have you saved some of your euphyllia with dips?

Yeah was so surprised with how big they get as well. The one I caught was easily 1.5 inchs plus. That was maybe back in June last year. I couldn't save my euphyllias. The 2 week gap I mentioned I was away from the tank and my sitter didnt know about reefing other than feeding the fish. By the time I came back they were covered in them. I lost interest in keeping Euphyllias after...cant say I'm interested in them even now. 

4 hours ago, JR! said:

How is this attached to the wet side? Oh its the plastic hooks? You know what...you can make a directional plate or something to compensate for the lack of directional flow on these MP pumps. 

46 minutes ago, RustyRocket said:

How is this attached to the wet side? Oh its the plastic hooks? You know what...you can make a directional plate or something to compensate for the lack of directional flow on these MP pumps. 

im not sure but i bet its a super easy print

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone! I have some new pictures for yah

I moved some rock around and got rid of the tunnel mostly to open it up for more coral 😎

Also, I bought a clam! It's been doing well for the past month

32421146717_5f129671b7_c.jpg

47363120371_3ac1753f8d_c.jpg

47310343692_557c2aa8af_c.jpg

• Like 8
  • Wow 2
1 hour ago, Tigahboy said:

Beautiful nano!  The photos are amazing as well!  

Thanks! 

This goby hangs out here all day before heading back to it's cave at night. It's made quite a nice den underneath where the clowns hang out. I didn't think it would be much of a digger but it's always cleaning out the main entrance

47310813402_d1ff392d58_c.jpg

• Like 3
17 hours ago, Tom@HaslettMI said:

Looking great!  I love the clam. 

Tom

4 hours ago, DaveFason said:

This is still one of my favorites. Great job!

Thanks!

For the clam not being wysiwyg I'm pretty happy with what I ended up with. Hopefully it'll stick around,  I know these little maxima clams have a high mortality rate.  Maybe I'll have better luck because it's aquacultured

Look at this sweet mustache the clown has now🧐 I'm pretty sure it's the zoas but since they mostly hang out in the cespitularia it might also be that.  They always have new black spots somewhere or another 😅

33487364038_5f730595e7_b.jpg

• Haha 4
Christopher Marks
On 3/12/2019 at 3:11 PM, Justind823 said:

I moved some rock around and got rid of the tunnel mostly to open it up for more coral 😎

Also, I bought a clam! It's been doing well for the past month

32421146717_5f129671b7_c.jpg

47363120371_3ac1753f8d_c.jpg

Wow Justin, I really like the new aquascape arrangement!

On 2/27/2019 at 12:55 PM, Justind823 said:

Deep cleaning day!

2019-02-27_11-53-13

Somehow I forgot about this design detail, a slide out sump is genius! Why not mount the Digital Aquatics display on the plywood inside instead of the door so it's easier to remove?

On 1/28/2019 at 1:20 PM, Justind823 said:

Oh lord, this gave me heart palpitations!! Flashback about 4 years ago when I found one of those in my biocube in the middle of the night. It was as long as my hand and half as wide. 

I actually stumbled in to check up on your curlique nem and shrimp? Was perusing LA and saw they sell a specific curlique shrimp, so it must not be any 'ol pistol!

https://m.liveaquaria.com/product/702/curly-que-snapping-shrimp?pcatid=702&c=497+525+702

16 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Wow Justin, I really like the new aquascape arrangement!

Somehow I forgot about this design detail, a slide out sump is genius! Why not mount the Digital Aquatics display on the plywood inside instead of the door so it's easier to remove?

Thanks CM! Me too. I'm done putting my hands in the tank for awhile! While I miss the bridge scape the yellow leather seems to be big enough to create the illusion of a cave with the negative space beneath it.

Yea i've only used it twice so far but with such a tight stand it makes getting into the rear chambers to clean a lot easier. As far as the RKL goes -- I know it! I need to find a better spot for it. The plywood might be that spot

5 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Oh lord, this gave me heart palpitations!! Flashback about 4 years ago when I found one of those in my biocube in the middle of the night. It was as long as my hand and half as wide. 

I actually stumbled in to check up on your curlique nem and shrimp? Was perusing LA and saw they sell a specific curlique shrimp, so it must not be any 'ol pistol!

https://m.liveaquaria.com/product/702/curly-que-snapping-shrimp?pcatid=702&c=497+525+702

HAHA!

I'm glad mine was not that big...

Luckily it had a particular taste for my hammer. I think when I got rid of the flatworm and the hammer that took care of my problem. I haven't seen any indication there are more -- I managed to grab it before the situation got worse. Imagine if all those eggs hatched 😳 Whodathunk flatworms lay eggs like that!

As far as the two buddies who live in my sump -- they are doing very well! Yea until I saw pistol cozy up to the nem I never really noticed that they are sold specifically for pairing with the Curliques. I believe KPAquatics sells them as well. Here are some shots of the masters of the dungeon

40414783093_c05be92b84_c.jpg

40414781743_f1d15c3411_c.jpg

40414782393_29d59bb469_c.jpg

32438610447_3f58c44ebd_c.jpg

40414782683_5c4207d00b_c.jpg

• Like 4