• Tank: AquaMaxx Cube Low-Iron Rimless Aquarium - 16.9G
  • Sump: Mr. Aqua 7G
  • Flow/Filtration: IM Wavelink DC Pump 1500GPH, Reef Octopus VarioS-2
  • Lighting: Nanobox Tide w/ Bluefish Mini
  • Heating: 2X 150w Jager
  • Overflow: Eshopps Eclipse S

• Like 11

New tank!!

I recently lost all my livestock in my 9G during the Sonoma County fires. There was a two week power outage and a mandatory evacuation but we were fortunate enough that the fire stopped across the street from us and did not take our home. So why not just upgrade right?:D

I'll be using the same stand and sump that I used for my 9G but I'll be cleaning it up and making some modifications over the next few weeks before finally setting up the tank. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Wow 1
21 hours ago, Cpl_Wiggles said:

Read your last thread. Thank goodness your family is safe and as a bonus, your house is too! I have a 16 gal BioCube and kind of wish I went the route you're going. 

Scape and stock plans?

Thanks! Yeah,  we were happy to have a home to come back to once the evacuations were lifted.

Still thinking on the direction for this tank...

I would like to have another goby and pistol combo for the bottom and I'm going back and forth between the tried and true clown pair or a pink-streaked wrasse (maybe possum wrasse.) I've had a pink-streaked wrasse before and I loved it but the clowns at the end of the day are just fun.

I know I'll eventually want a maxima clam. I had ordered one before the fire for my 9G but luckily it was backordered and never showed up! 

For the scape I want to achieve something close to the planted Iwagumi style where the hardscape really speaks for itself. I'll probably just end up with a pile of rocks though:lol:

20 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

You're plumbing a 17G tank?  This is going to be awesome!

You know it! 

• Like 1

I'm looking into DC return pumps now. My overflow has a max flow rate of 600GPH and I'd like to run at most 400-500GPH through it to cut down on the noise. Looking at Jebao DCS-2000(525gph) and the 3000(845GPH) I'd prefer to go with the larger so I can run it at half speed rather than maxing out the nano pump. Although the 3000 is larger and would take up all the space in the back chamber not leaving a lot of room for the ATO and probes that I used to keep there. I like the price point of the Jebao pumps but I realize it can be a gamble when it comes to the quality.

Any other nano DC pump suggestions that won't break the bank?

Oh Justin!

So excited about this. Your 9G was one of the ones that got me properly into nano reefs (I just mentioned you on my own recent new build!).

Can't wait to see how this turns out. 

Have you tried the Jebao returns? Recently got one myself and am a bit disappointed at how noisy it is. 

Anyway, following along.

So sorry to hear you lost the tank during the fires.  I'm glad your home is ok though and that you're having a positive attitude about it and starting a new build!  Sounds like a good start.  Can't wait to see what you put together.

21 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

There is this one by Skimz,its a bit pricey at $120:

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/quietpro-2-0-dc-controllable-water-pump-skimz.html

21 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

I've heard great things about Sicce,  but they're pricey too.   Looks like you'd be looking at the Sicce 3.0 or higher.  Scroll halfway down the page for their comparison chart:  https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/sicce-syncra-silent-5-0-pump-1321-gph.html

Thanks for the suggestions!

I think I might actually got for the Skimz ReefKid linked. That or a step down from there depending on which fits better in my back chamber, I'll need to measure that when I get home on Friday. They seem to have pretty good reviews all around - dead silent being the most notable.

20 hours ago, silvertoe said:

Oh Justin!

So excited about this. Your 9G was one of the ones that got me properly into nano reefs (I just mentioned you on my own recent new build!).

Can't wait to see how this turns out. 

Have you tried the Jebao returns? Recently got one myself and am a bit disappointed at how noisy it is. 

Anyway, following along.

Thanks for that! I appreciate the mention - glad I could be an inspiration!

I've never owned a Jebao pump but the more I look into them the less I want one. It seems like a 50/50 shot when it comes to getting a good, quiet, working pump. Thanks for the feedback on it, I think I'll avoid them, spend a little extra and definitely go with the Skimz DC pump. 

Glad to have you on board! I'm going to start working on getting the stand up to snuff next week.

10 hours ago, Felicia said:

So sorry to hear you lost the tank during the fires.  I'm glad your home is ok though and that you're having a positive attitude about it and starting a new build!  Sounds like a good start.  Can't wait to see what you put together.

Thanks Felicia! Yeah it's been a strange time coming home since the fire. At home our ranch is untouched but if you head down the road all the houses we used to pass by are leveled. We live on a little oasis now! Everyone is keeping a positive attitude and helping each other out even if their home was lost so it's good to be a part of that community.

I'm very grateful to only need to rebuild my tank! 

• Like 1

As far as return pumps, Sicce will give you best bang for the buck. They also come with crazy long cords so no pulling, or running extra extensions.

• Like 2

Great start! I have the Jebao DCS2000 in my 30g and it works great. I run it on the lowest speed, anything faster makes my durso too noisy.  So I definitely wouldn't recommend a 3000.

If you try the Skimz I'll be interested to see how it works!

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Great start! I have the Jebao DCS2000 in my 30g and it works great. I run it on the lowest speed, anything faster makes my durso too noisy.  So I definitely wouldn't recommend a 3000.

If you try the Skimz I'll be interested to see how it works!

How do you like the Jebao DC pump, especially in regards to noise? That was the best thing about the Vectras (aside from their size and power) was how quiet they were even on the highest setting. However you pay dearly for that convenience :lol:

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, TFish77 said:

How do you like the Jebao DC pump, especially in regards to noise? That was the best thing about the Vectras (aside from their size and power) was how quiet they were even on the highest setting. However you pay dearly for that convenience :lol:

Well, since I never put it past the first dot, it's really quiet :)

I can't really say how noisy it is on the higher settings, but the DCS1200 in my Coralbox skimmer is completely silent even on the highest setting.

I'm definitely going to give the Skimz Quietpro 2.0 a shot. I'd rather have the 4.0 but it's just a tiny bit too big for the return pump chamber. The Jebao DCS3000 is too big for the back chamber too.

On 11/8/2017 at 8:51 AM, gena said:

Oh my gosh!!!!!  Scary.  Thank goodness your home was spared (and that amazing couch :)).

Haha yes it would have been a bummer to lose that comfy thing

Went to Aquatic Collection in Hayward for the first time today and I must say the place is great. Good prices and a great selection and a knowledgeable staff to boot.

@Felicia informed me they keep Reel Reef Rock in stock and fully cured so I picked up a bucket full! I'll keep it in the bucket for the time being until I'm ready to get the tank up and running. I'm excited to start working on a scape soon!

37559591505_5a0fcd0db0_c.jpg

• Like 3
32 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

Did you order that pump yet ? If not,at BRS they are 20% off right for $95. 

Ahhh yes! I was waiting for a sale to come along this month - I knew it would happen eventually. Just placed my order and got a free BRS pilsner glass while I was at it :happydance:

Thanks for the heads up!

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Justind823 said:

Ahhh yes! I was waiting for a sale to come along this month - I knew it would happen eventually. Just placed my order and got a free BRS pilsner glass while I was at it :happydance:

Thanks for the heads up!

Oh the joys of Black Friday fish sales :lol: 

Following along. Can't wait to see how this build comes together! 

• Like 1