Cultivated Reef

API Nitrate

aerotiy

8 minutes ago, SaltyBuddha said:

I would say between 10 and 20. Closer to 10 than 20.

API kits are good for ballpark estimates.

Wow kinda rare to see positive comments on API kits. But I agree API are good for rough estimates. They are indeed a lot cheaper, and are easier to use imo.

• Like 1

I know I read a lot of negatives about the API too so that’s why I went out and got the Salifert but I accidentally broke the plastic vial for the sample and don’t know where to get a replacement :(  I hate the whole color matching process on both of them. I wish there was an easier way to get an accurate reading.

Honestly, the only ones that are completely accurate are the tests via titration. Anything else that you have to use a color grade scale is up to interpretation even when your test method is 100 percent.

I will continue to use API tests and keep my Salifert tests for when I need more accurate numbers (ex. Dosing). 

Once you get a feel for the API color scale, they work just as well as any others. Just shake the hell out of that nitrate bottle #2 lol 

• Thanks 1
49 minutes ago, SaltyBuddha said:

Honestly, the only ones that are completely accurate are the tests via titration. Anything else that you have to use a color grade scale is up to interpretation even when your test method is 100 percent.

I will continue to use API tests and keep my Salifert tests for when I need more accurate numbers (ex. Dosing). 

Once you get a feel for the API color scale, they work just as well as any others. Just shake the hell out of that nitrate bottle #2 lol 

I have red seas titration reef kit for calcium mag and alk but even that seems iffy to me. The numbers on the syringes are fading away so those will need to be replaced and plus filling the titration syringe is difficult because the reagent sits well below the plunger and can vary depending on how much I can mess with the air bubble. The booklet says the fill line can vary between 0.1 and 0.15 but when every drop makes a difference in your reading how are you supposed to be accurate?

You should not have to mess with the air bubble. That is the volume of the syringe tip and the volume of the fluid should be accurate.

For titration, you should have a general idea of where your parameters are. Once you get close, add one drop at a time before mixing. This is should be accurate enough for what we need to do.

When I do it, one drop is about .1ml I think. Dont do it very often but it makes it easy to get reliable results if you follow correct procedure. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, aerotiy said:

I have red seas titration reef kit for calcium mag and alk but even that seems iffy to me. The numbers on the syringes are fading away so those will need to be replaced and plus filling the titration syringe is difficult because the reagent sits well below the plunger and can vary depending on how much I can mess with the air bubble. The booklet says the fill line can vary between 0.1 and 0.15 but when every drop makes a difference in your reading how are you supposed to be accurate?

You can just go get a regular insulin syringe from your pharmacy. They measure in units. 1 unit is 0.01mL. Make sure you get the 1ml syringe. If you’re concerned your pharmacist won’t sell it to you, bring your test kit with the worn out syringe in I’m sure they’ll understand.

like SaltyBuddha said don’t worry about the bubble in the syringe at all. Always look at the bottom of the plunger. Ignore the actual reagent level in the syringe. Just pull the plunger to 1mL and read the plunger level at the endpoint. That’s how much reagent you used.

3 hours ago, SaltyBuddha said:

API always gets the hate. I did an API vs Salifert experiment. API was right on the money. 

I agree. They’re accurate. Just not precise, especially for the phosphate test. 

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Used red sea, salifert, seachem, and Api.

Api vs salifert and red sea, pretty much the same readings.

I like salifert for alk because I like to know the exact number.

Phosphate- Api is high range so it's not of any use in a reef tank. 

Otherwise I find Api is fine to use.

• Thanks 1

I had gotten a salifert kit for nitrate but unfortunately cracked the plastic test vial somehow when putting the cap on :mellow: so I went back to using API and it’s been giving me pretty consistent results, my nitrates are somewhere around the 5 mark. 

I also got salifert for alk, calcium, and mag and they’ve been working great