ReefCleaners.org

Clownfish beat up Royal Gramma

c_man7

I had a pair of clowns that I moved to a fluval 13.5 (temp. tank) and I picked up a royal gramma and added it. At first there were a few disputes but they all settled in nicely. Well I upgraded the tank to an IM 25 lagoon and decide to let the gramma in the new tank first. It picked a nice cave and was fine, then I released the clowns and they stayed more towards the front.  Fast forward a couple days and the clowns decide they want the cave and I see the gramma squeezed in tight on the side of a rock and looks to be very dull and has some missing scales and torn pectoral fin. He hasn't been eating either so I'm trying to keep an eye on him. I don't have a quarantine tank as I rent and can have only one tank. I have a watchman goby and it swims in and out and around the clowns caves no problem, but they do not let the gramma come near it at all.

I'm not sure if the stress of moving and the stress of the clownfish is taking a toll, but hes not looking to good. Any advice on what I can do?

Can you get a breeder box from petsmart for a few bucks to keep the poor guy separated for now? Lift the breeder box up once or twice daily to drain most water and put it back to effective change the water. Without current ammonia may build up inside. Not sure how effective diffusion would be with those tiny slits.

4 minutes ago, dandelion said:

Can you get a breeder box from petsmart for a few bucks to keep the poor guy separated for now? Lift the breeder box up once or twice daily to drain most water and put it back to effective change the water. Without current ammonia may build up inside. Not sure how effective diffusion would be with those tiny slits.

That's what I planned on doing if he didn't look better when I get home. When I first added them together after a couple of days they split their territory and were fine. But it was mostly just flashing and flairing gills. This time it looks worse. 

Just now, c_man7 said:

That's what I planned on doing if he didn't look better when I get home. When I first added them together after a couple of days they split their territory and were fine. But it was mostly just flashing and flairing gills. This time it looks worse. 

Clownfish can be really mean. I think this would be the easiest way to nurse the fish back to health. But you may have to rehome him if the aggression continues. 

3 minutes ago, dandelion said:

Clownfish can be really mean. I think this would be the easiest way to nurse the fish back to health. But you may have to rehome him if the aggression continues. 

Yea my female is very territorial and doesn't like hands, or siphon hoses, or tongs, or just about anything in the tank. She goes after it. But my watchman goby can swim right up next to them and she doesn't care. Idk its weird.

1 hour ago, hooligan_78 said:

Man that is kinda weird, clowns usually don't even bother with royal grammas, of course there are always exceptions, as in this case.  

Yea I never had a problem in any other set of fish. But these have been the meanest clowns I've ever had. The female is super aggressive, which I'm sure is the cause of the problems.

Yeah I had a clown for years, that was a mean old bitch. She'd gotten about 4" long and could bite hard enough to leave mark. Never hurt, but damn I'd jump every time!

Unfortunately the gramma didn't make it. I'm starting to think the clowns weren't the problem. I don't think he acclimated very well when I transferred to him to the new tank. Yesterday he was laying in the clowns cave and they didn't pay him any mind. When i got home yesterday he was laying barely breathing and the hermits were all over him. So I took him out and euthanized him. Poor thing was missing all of his fins. I'm not sure if the transfer shocked him or what. Everything else in the tank is doing fine no problem. I'm thinking it was a one off occurrence. Thanks for all your help.

• Sad 1
  • 2 years later...
On 9/7/2020 at 5:17 PM, Hthoni said:

Any problem on putting a watchman and a Gramma together? 

Fish are individuals but probably ok depending on tank size/caves/territory.