SaltCritters.com

25yr old 75G Jaubert Plenum

Subsea

while research papers can get difficult to navigate, after 50 years of Reefing, I know quite a bit about Homeostasis.

In 1971 at Texas Maritime Academy, I took Chemical Oceanoraphy as a technical elective. At that time, Dynamic Equilibrium, explained one part of Homeostasis in our reef tanks: gas exchange between athmospheric gases, mainly nitrogen, carbon dioxide and oxygen, and ocean waters provide carbon dosing and nitrogen enrichment.

Lets park here:
1. Natures way to carbon dose uses the solubility of carbon dioxide in water to provide carbonate alkalinity to algae that when combined with photosynthesis produces glucose, which is carbon for the reef. @Dana Riddle said it this way, “Photosynthesis combines the inorganic with the organic world

2. Nitrogen enrichment uses cynobacteria to convert free nitrogen gas molecules in the water into ammonia that is assimilated into their biomas. For this reason, when you starve your system for nitrogen, you open the door for opportunistic nuisance species as you reduce completion for other nutrients by limiting nitrogen to those that require inorganic nitrogen in bulk wate

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

Well said.  That's information that I wish would "get out more".  Seems like good info is hidden in these posts and books so NOBODY WILL KNOW.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 10/13/2021 at 1:11 AM, mcarroll said:

Well said.  That's information that I wish would "get out more".  Seems like good info is hidden in these posts and books so NOBODY WILL KNOW.

Thank you for your kind words.  I have always leaned on science to better understand the complex world of the coral holibiont where bacteria crosstalk to excercise gene expression and enhance environmental responses to changes in their environment..

• Like 3
On 10/13/2021 at 2:11 AM, mcarroll said:

it's not that the info is hidden in the posts, there have been many meaningful educational posts that I learn on this forum - yours included, despite some of our different perspectives on things.  it's that many newer reefers don't spend enough efforts in "understanding" the biology involved.  They "research" all the livestocks/gadgets/methods BRS tries to sell/upsell them to put together the best system.  but they ignore, or rather, are oblivious about the biology.  

people just need to learn to follow the right topics or journals (that's a hard ask, and it's why I often recommend TOTM as a starting point).  A good journal brings good discussions on holistic views than topics that address a single issue, or few issues.  People also shouldn't be afraid to ask questions on these "good" journals, because often the OP doesn't necessarily have any idea of what to share (they already have their routines well ironed out).  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

it's not that the info is hidden in the posts, there have been many meaningful educational posts that I learn on this forum - yours included, despite some of our different perspectives on things.  it's that many newer reefers don't spend enough efforts in "understanding" the biology involved.  They "research" all the livestocks/gadgets/methods BRS tries to sell/upsell them to put together the best system.  but they ignore, or rather, are oblivious about the biology.  

people just need to learn to follow the right topics or journals (that's a hard ask, and it's why I often recommend TOTM as a starting point).  A good journal brings good discussions on holistic views than topics that address a single issue, or few issues.  People also shouldn't be afraid to ask questions on these "good" journals, because often the OP doesn't necessarily have any idea of what to share (they already have their routines well ironed out).  

Kudos to the above.  

As I learn more about the details, I realize how little I know and how complex biochemistry and the  coral holobiont is.  This I do know, cryptic sponges are the third leg of biofiltration in my skimmerless systems.  They process DOC into inorganic carbon dioxide which when combined with photosynthesis produces glucose which is how nature “carbon doses” the ocean.

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...

In’s been a year.  Tank is 24 hours into chemi clean treatment and is stable with two flame scallops and a growing sea apple.  I am gradually removing rock covered with GSP to make room for other colors.  I really like the way the clowns are hosting in the leather.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3