Pod Your Reef

Killing Vermitid Snails

burtbollinger

burtbollinger

I see a lot of folks complain they have so many vermitids that they dont know what to do, and super glue would be impractical.  I have been killing any I find super easy with this set of needle probes...they fit down in the hole and a small twist totally destroys the vermitid. (the two curved ones are super devastating)  

as easy as knife through butter almost....super strong needle-tipped probe that you can apply real force with and torque and twist...the thin shells shatter immediately and you can then totally scrape away the problematatic base of the snail with a second flick of the probe.

If you were overrun, you could do major damage to your population with just a few sessions I would imagine....its fun, quick and very satisfying.  highly recommend getting this kit and attacking them as you see them...unless you enjoy their presence.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018A1X1VA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

59ffc6178d8ff_ScreenShot2017-11-05at8_01_41PM.png.a56b37c6f27c431bd54a9baa175a158e.png

• Like 1

I had a few pop up.  Used super glue on one and other some reef puddy.  So far so good.  I like the tool approach.  Do not have to introduce things to your tank.  

• 3 years later...
burtbollinger

just to follow up on this for future reefers...trying to kill these things en masse is a waste of time.  take out specific ones, but other than that, just be patient.  mine went away over time.  took maybe a year or two.  they were bad enough i feared they could ruin my tank, and due to all the FUD out there, i panicked a bit.  There were literally hundreds.  Just be patient, in my case, it was a phase and today i cannot find a single one.  Don't overreact.  I'd compare it to an invasion of pineapple sponges or something....they come and go.

• Like 2