Coral Vue Hydros

blue devil damsel tank mates?

AlmightyJoshaeus

AlmightyJoshaeus

Hi all! My mom and I just got a fiji blue devil damsel for her 10 gallon VERY dense macro algae tank, and I wanted to know...could we keep anything with it, or would the damsel thrash it? Thanks :) 

It can but it will be tough were it is in there first and can be territorial! They are a bit calmer than blue delvils. I would have to look it up because that's a small tank. I would try 1 clown but look up which kind. A maroon probably gets way too big. I have 2 clowns and a firefish in 20 gallons. Of course clowns eat a lot so no skipping W/C.

• 2 weeks later...

Everybody in this thread.... You do know they are called Fiji Blue Devils for a reason, right?  A dottyback is territorial, a blue devil is downright evil. 

Damsels.  Something wicked this way comes.  Others will know better than me, but I think with a 10g and a damsel about anything would be pushing it with more fish.     Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, I think smaller tanks and/or fish population potentially changes fish behavior.    My yellowtail was first in tank.   Added a bengal cardinalfish.  Over a month ago. 3 days ago added a red firefish. Fauxdory (damsel) never attacked my bengal.  But within 20 mins took a couple swipes at the firefish. Grrr.    

With that size tank as long as the damsel in it I wouldn't risk it.