inTank Media Baskets

AI Prime HD vs NanoBox Tide +M

Kvasir

Hey all,

So while I'm figuring out lighting, MarineDepot drops a bomb on the price of the AI Prime HDs for now only $200. And here I thought my mind was made up.

Well, after some research again, now I'm debating. So I've come with a couple questions for those who have been around since LEDs have been the hot item. I'm trying to find a semi-concrete answer to what light is capable of maintaining an SPS tank. However it seems that a lot of the answers are either not clear or indifferent at best. And search results haven't been helpful either.

So with that being said: My tank to be built is a standard 10 gallon AGA tank.

1. Which is more reputable? The AI's or the Nanobox?
  2. Which is capable of maintaining an SPS tank of this size? (Standard 10 Gallon Tank)
  3. I assume both can be used as a refugium light with the proper focus in the proper spectrum? I'll be buying two of the ones I decide on to simplify running things.

Thanks in advance for helping me learn more about LED tank lighting!

i have a prime HD over my fluval evo 13.5 and am growing all sorts of SPS without a problem. great colors, and awesome PE. i did look at the Nanobox's as well when i was deciding. they're great lights, and i was really close to going that way, but it all came down to price for me personally.

MainelyReefer

Ai prime HD is a great light completely capable of SPS, and while a lot of the people here on nanoreef love nanobox because he's a sponsor and makes a good product, the bluefish controller looks like it sucks and people constantly have questions on here and the AI interface is straight forward and reliable.  I only own the AI so only opinion on the nanobox.  Also there is a freshwater prime that would be preferable for a refugium than the standard reef one.

9 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I have a regular prime on a 25g lagoon. I have birdsnests, monti's, and styllophora.

+1 prime Hd I am keeping Sps, Lps, and some softies.

Well that simplifies it! Thank you all very much for the responses. I was worried that the par levels would be far too low on the AI Prime HD as compared to the Nanobox with the much higher output. While I do love to support the sponsors who support N-R, money talks.

Thank you all!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2017 at 10:47 PM, Kvasir said:

1. I assume both can be used as a refugium light with the proper focus in the proper spectrum? I'll be buying two of the ones I decide on to simplify running things.

Why not get both?  then you can use the "better" one for your display and the other for the fuge