Innovative Marine Aquariums

4 fish, 5 fish?

FollyFish

Ok I know people must be tired of these questions but here is one more.

I would like to know if I add a 5th fish to my tank will I have too much bioload. Currently in the 25G cube I have ...

Asorted corals softies, Lps, Sps and Nps.

A fire shrimp 3in

A Randall pistol shrimp 1in and yellow watchman goby 1 1/2 in (paired)

A black ice clownfish 2 1/2 in

A tailspot blenny 2 1/2 in 

A leatherjacket (matted?) filefish 2 in

A emerald crab size of a quarter

5 snails. The Randall and Blenny keep taking them out or I would have more.

I would like to add a possum wrasse if my LSF can get one (i have been waiting 8 months so far)

I only have a HOB filter and do weekly 4G water changes, with no dosing. The tank is over a year old.

Newtothehobby

You could probably add another fish if you are careful. I would love love love to see pictures of your tank it seem very interesting with all the different coral types.

3 minutes ago, Newtothehobby said:

You could probably add another fish if you are careful. I would love love love to see pictures of your tank it seem very interesting with all the different coral types.

Hello Newtothehobby

Here is a pic from the front of my tank taken with a bad phone camera. Will need to frag the Duncan corals again but otherwise everything but some purple polys are happy and doing well. 

20171025_153414.jpg

• Like 1

I wouldn't add any more fish, although the possum wrasse is very small, I have a 20 long and have a pair of clowns and a lawnmower blenny  and 3 peppermint shrimp, and would not add any more to my tank, I also only have an aquaclear 70 and do 2 gallon water changes per week, maybe if you get a nano hob skimmer.012.thumb.jpg.006a4dfbf6adacb114197fba30cd3a8c.jpg

37 minutes ago, Newtothehobby said:

Based on the dimensions on your tank I would be careful when adding fish

Who, and why? For op and myself as long as they are nano size fish there's no problem, my tank is even better because of the length, fish like to swim not just go around in circles.

Newtothehobby

Not your tank it’s has wonderful dimensions littletnklver. I was saying to be careful adding a possum wrasse,any nano fish would be greate as well in that size tank. Beautiful tank by the way. Just out of curiosity are do your clowns fight in the 20 mine in a 10 gallon are constantly and I was wondering if they would be better in a larger tank. Folly fish if you wanted to add another fish I highly recommend firefish. They are beautiful and hardy at the same time. I especially like when their fins are extended. I provided a link below.http://m.liveaquaria.com/product/168/firefish?pcatid=168&c=15+1636+168

2 hours ago, Newtothehobby said:

Not your tank it’s has wonderful dimensions littletnklver. I was saying to be careful adding a possum wrasse,any nano fish would be greate as well in that size tank. Beautiful tank by the way. Just out of curiosity are do your clowns fight in the 20 mine in a 10 gallon are constantly and I was wondering if they would be better in a larger tank. Folly fish if you wanted to add another fish I highly recommend firefish. They are beautiful and hardy at the same time. I especially like when their fins are extended. I provided a link below.http://m.liveaquaria.com/product/168/firefish?pcatid=168&c=15+1636+168

Tank is 18 x 18 x 18 inches, with a top.

I have thought about a Firefish but I don't think one would survive my tank. From what I understand Firefish are very passive/non aggressive with the same body shape as my Tailspot Blenny. My Tailspot Blenny is not the shy retreating type, to be honest he is the most aggressive fish in the tank now and runs it like a boss. He held his own with an aggressive Flasher Wrasse (got too aggressive and killed another fish so I sold him to my LFS) and loves to charge and posture against the YWG. My YWG is grumpy and stands his ground, so no chasing or fin nipping. If that happened then the Tailspot would go the way of the Flasher Wrasse.

I got the Filefish two days ago too take care of an aptasia problem that has gotten out of control. So far he hasn't touched it, but from what I have read that might take some time. I will admit that if he starts to eat my corals he will be getting a new home.

That is why I thought a Possum Wrasse would be ok, Max size is 2in, very different body shape, non-aggressive, the least active of the wrasses.

Newtothehobby

I say be careful and make sure it isn’t bullied and check your water parameters if any thing goes working you can sell it to your local fish store. I was being causious because I did not want any aggression to acid to any of your fish esessial to possum.

• Thanks 1

When I first started this tank I was going for a highly passive tank in both corals and fish. That has not gone to plan. I am very vigilant for signs of aggression. If I see any the offenders get moved be it coral warfare or fish. 

On 11/4/2017 at 1:32 PM, Newtothehobby said:

Thanks for the compliment on the tank, and no the clowns don't fight, your tank being only 10 gallons is to small that's probably why they are fighting.

On 11/4/2017 at 1:32 PM, Newtothehobby said:

Are they fighting to the point of injury, or is it normal male-female dominance establishing.  If you by chance ended up with two females, or if the female (bigger one) doesn't like the male, that would lead to more fighting/bullying.

6 hours ago, littletnklvr said:

Thanks for the compliment on the tank, and no the clowns don't fight, your tank being only 10 gallons is to small that's probably why they are fighting.

Lots of people have clown pairs in 10g and they do just fine. ;)