ReefCleaners.org

Kent Marine dKh buffer?

TheBig053

I recently began dosing this product to try and raise/stablize the Alk in my tank. I have been able to stablize the Alk at 7.0 dKh, but havent been able to raise it all. The instructions say to use 2 tsp for every 40g of water. I estimate my tank only has about 8-9g of water so I have been dosing a 1/4 tsp in the morning and at night. Alk is at 7.0.

My question is for folks who have used this product. If I increase the dosage to 1/2 tsp will it begin to raise the Alk at all or just continue to keep stable st 7.0? Sorry, if this seems stupid but I have found it difficult to find a source that can differentiate between buffering and supplementing. 

Thanks all!

Here it is: https://www.chewy.com/kent-marine-pro-buffer-dkh-ph/dp/124880?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=f&utm_content=Kent&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInOXuv6ui1wIVDYp-Ch1QYAdqEAQYAiABEgKSiPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Instructions made it sound like it would raise dKH, and it had positive reviews on Amazon, but wanted to get some input from folks on here that have used it (or something similar). Thanks bud!

Is this the powder or liquid?

Again, alk buffer = baking soda, and we really need a sticky on this.

1/4 teaspoon of baking soda should raise 10gal about a full point of dkh according to online reef calculators. If you're adding a lot of alk to a tank and it's not moving up I would seriously try another test kit.

• Like 1

Its liquid. It does move up, but I have to dose twice a day to keep it up. I think a doser is necessary at this point and will be my next major equipment purchase. 

I am using fritz rpm salt mix and for all the good reviews its received, I tested a fresh batch of mix at 1.026 the other day, and it was 7.0 dKH.

That being said, manually dosing (morning and night) has seemed to be working (sps growing again since starting) but I don't want to keep doing this. 

I am using the same water and fritz in both of my tanks and experiencing the same ALK issues in both even though the 20L has considrably less LPS and SPS.

Eric - remember the issue I had with my salinity and magnesium? Try getting a reefer close to you to double/triple check your salinity. I found that even though refractometers are accurate, they can be very inaccurate as well depending on the calibration method, tempature, etc... I'm free this weekend too if you want to drop by my place and bring your water. Also, drop by to pick up the Sunny D frag ;)

Any who, if you do discover that Fritz is truly having issues, contact them directly, they'll make it right for you.

My fresh batch of Fritz mix at 1.025 gives me an Alk of 8.0 ish.

I do remember that, and it actually crossed my mind when running through the different possibilities, but it seemed like such an unlikely cause. Definitely worth a second opinion though. I can probably just run up to Ben at SR one day this week and have him double check. I'll have to find another excuse to make the trip to Canad.... I mean Ashburn :D, this weekend. Maybe my wife will want to hit up the Leesburg outlets and we can make a pit stop on the way! 

• Like 1