Innovative Marine Aquariums

Need help creating my clean up crew for 32g biocube

AshleyH

Hi everyone,

I am needing some help with how large of a CUC I need for my 32 gallon Biocube. My concern is the algae.

A little history:

My tank has been up and running since October 1 (one month). It cycled completely in 2 weeks, and at the end of week 2 I started getting some brown algae and green hair algae.

On week 3 I added a small CUC:

2 trochus snails

1 serpent star

1 emerald crab

1 coral banded shrimp

1 snowflake clownfish

I originally didn't want another clownfish, but after a few days I realized I should have bought a pair together. We returned to the LFS, tested my water, and got my 2nd ocellaris clownfish and 3 small blue legged hermit crabs

I wanted to go slower than that, but apparently I got a little too enthusiastic.  Anyway, everyone is doing just fine aside from having my first fatality (one very small hermit crab who I believe got trapped in a rock and was missing for a few days)...I found half a body yesterday during a water change. 

All my water parameters have been fine (testing every other day), but I have a lot of brown algae on the sand and on my rocks. I also see some spots of green and dark red algae on the one live rock I have. I'm hoping this isn't cyanobacteria, but not freaking out yet. I will deal with it. 

I think my clean up crew is too small. I know I have only 2 snails, but the amount they poop is insane. Most other tanks I've seen have way more snails and CUC.

What are your thoughts? Should I add more snails, hermits, or other? How many do I need?

Thanks!

Ashley 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Sancho said:

Check out reef cleaners. They have pre selected crews based on your tank size. 

I haven't heard of that website before and just looked through it briefly. Looks very helpful! I Had no idea coralline algae could be green and red as well. Maybe I don't have cyanobacteria, but possibly just coralline? 

I found this picture online of multicolored coralline algae, and my rock looks just like it

Image result for coralline algae

If your rocks look like that it's not cyano or gha. It's good algae.

Brown algae is diatoms and they will die off on their own once it's food source is gone.

I would slow down on the additions and keep an eye on the banded shrimp. They are semi aggressive.

Add cuc  as needed because they die if there isn't enough to support them

• Like 2

Bulk reef supply also have an awesome video series dealing with common questions like this and very informative.  I'm on my phone or would link to the cuc one.      Basically be careful with packages like that. Most places put together too big packages knowing that there is going to be losses.  This can lead to a weird cycle of  each loss leeching back nutrients into tank and replacing of the cuc.    Plus hermits from what I've heard can become aggressive towards snails and each other if not enough food.          I'm thinking eventually total of 3 or 4 more hermits and like 3 or 4 snails,   something like 2 cerith and astrea snails or something like that.         

• Like 2
SelectedByNature

Unsure if this is your first tank, but welcome to the Biocube 32 club! :happydance:

Sounds like coralline algae!

Your hermit fatality could actually be skin from molting. He is more than likely still alive but hiding due to vulnerability. 

I'm in agreement with the above post. Be wary of feeling like you need a huge CUC. Unless they are being purchased for a specific reason, mostly they are used to scavenge for uneaten food (they will definitely eat diatoms and some other algae too). Definitely try to prevent algae with good husbandry as opposed to loading up on a CUC. 

Also the type of snails matter more than the amount IMHO. I would prefer 3 mowers over 15 lazy snails.

I have (currently) 2 Trochus, 2 Turbos and a 5-7 Nassarius snails (these are breeding). 6-7 various hermits and 1 Halloween hermit. I'm not saying this amount is optimal however I prefer having less than more if there isn't a particular problem I'm trying to address/prevent.

• Like 2

I have a 16 BioCube. 

1 emerald

4 blue leg hermit

3 turbo

3 astraea

1 Scarlett hermit (just died due to alkalinity issues)

I had a brief algae bloom but with water changes and changing my light schedule, as well as closing my window blinds, helped out with that.

At one time I had a pencil urchin...you have a bigger tank but hot dog he was an algae plow...along with everything else.

PB020271.thumb.JPG.aa8a7206701cb809bf1a9dc41abe6778.JPG

On 11/1/2017 at 9:32 PM, Clown79 said:

If your rocks look like that it's not cyano or gha. It's good algae.

Brown algae is diatoms and they will die off on their own once it's food source is gone.

I would slow down on the additions and keep an eye on the banded shrimp. They are semi aggressive.

Here is a photo from my tank using flash... I couldn't get a great photo before the camera died. You can see the white rock in front with diatoms on it (looks more brown in real life). There are a few more circular dark red patches on the other side of the rock, but on this side it is more patchy looking...

I'm for sure pausing on any more additions aside from CUC as needed. Shrimp (Kevin) has been friendly so far. He just hangs upside down in his cave, but has taken a jab at a clown if they are crowding him. He did molt a few days ago- I woke up and thought I was seeing double because he was standing directly opposite of his old skin lol.

On 11/1/2017 at 9:32 PM, zohar78 said:

Bulk reef supply also have an awesome video series dealing with common questions like this and very informative.  I'm on my phone or would link to the cuc one

I watched most of this video series so far. It's super helpful, which is why I went with such a small (probably too small) CUC

12 hours ago, SelectedByNature said:

Unsure if this is your first tank, but welcome to the Biocube 32 club! :happydance:

Sounds like coralline algae!

Your hermit fatality could actually be skin from molting. He is more than likely still alive but hiding due to vulnerability. 

Thanks for the welcome. This is my first aquarium (fresh or salt) ever! :eek:

Good point about the molt. I will keep an eye out for him. We did have extra shells in there

12 hours ago, SelectedByNature said:

I'm in agreement with the above post. Be wary of feeling like you need a huge CUC. Unless they are being purchased for a specific reason, mostly they are used to scavenge for uneaten food (they will definitely eat diatoms and some other algae too). Definitely try to prevent algae with good husbandry as opposed to loading up on a CUC. 

Also the type of snails matter more than the amount IMHO. I would prefer 3 mowers over 15 lazy snails.

I have (currently) 2 Trochus, 2 Turbos and a 5-7 Nassarius snails (these are breeding). 6-7 various hermits and 1 Halloween hermit. I'm not saying this amount is optimal however I prefer having less than more if there isn't a particular problem I'm trying to address/prevent.

Out of my 2 trochus snails, one actually goes around on the rocks, and the other crawls up the back wall and sits right by the output nozzle. We move him daily and by the time I get home he is sitting there again doing nothing. 

5 hours ago, Cpl_Wiggles said:

I had a brief algae bloom but with water changes and changing my light schedule, as well as closing my window blinds, helped out with that.

I tried shutting the blinds and it seemed to help slightly. I do need to shorten my light schedule too and will look further into this.

5 hours ago, luckie1966 said:

Yep...If ya want clams no Claws lol

I want a clam eventually... of course I realized the clams were awesome AFTER I have these inhabitants already :o ugh