ReefCleaners.org

Classroom Pico -Creative Container Contest

damianita

I decided to join the contest and will be participating with the help of my 4th grade students.  We will build this pico together as a classroom project. 

The following are the supplies we have gathered and will use:

glass pitcher (2 quarts), $3.50

air stone, new (from old fresh water aquarium)

air pump, borrowed from a friend

airline tubing, $3.50 

Galaxyhydro 12W Aquarium LED Light, $18.00

Tertial Work Lamp (IKEA), $9.99

Attached is the picture of the glass pitcher.  The condiment of choice in my house is home-made salsa but the container did't fit inside, so I put Sriracha in the container instead since it is also spicy and delicious!

I will add a picture of the set-up tomorrow!

IMG_7530.JPG

• Like 5
54 minutes ago, damianita said:

I decided to join the contest and will be participating with the help of my 4th grade students.  We will build this pico together as a classroom project. 

The following are the supplies we have gathered and will use:

glass pitcher (2 quarts), $3.50

air stone, new (from old fresh water aquarium)

air pump, borrowed from a friend

airline tubing, $3.50 

Galaxyhydro 12W Aquarium LED Light, $18.00

Tertial Work Lamp (IKEA), $9.99

Attached is the picture of the glass pitcher.  The condiment of choice in my house is home-made salsa but the container did't fit inside, so I put Sriracha in the container instead since it is also spicy and delicious!

I will add a picture of the set-up tomorrow!

IMG_7530.JPG

Looking good so far! I think this is the second classroom pico I have seen. Can we get a battle of the school picos :-p

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, TFish77 said:

Looking good so far! I think this is the second classroom pico I have seen. Can we get a battle of the school picos :-p

There’s going to be some friendly competition - we are coworkers :)

• Like 7
10 hours ago, hinnenkm said:

There’s going to be some friendly competition - we are coworkers :)

Awesome.  I'm going to have my kids follow your kids as well. I wonder if we all should all tag our tanks that they are done by children. Like a by_kids tag or something?  I'm not a teacher, just a parent but this is such an awesome project we couldn't skip it. 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello!

I am a little slow, but here are my November full tank shots. 

My pico is a little sparse.  It currently has a bare bottom, small rock with a few green zoas, a rock flower anemone, and a couple purple mushrooms.  I also added a halloween crab that was acting a bit too aggressive for my nano tank.   My lid is solid so I have the light to the side of the tank.  The picture shows the light really close to the tank.  I have pulled it back since taking the picture a couple of weeks ago.

I hopefully will be more on the ball in the future and have my students update the thread!

IMG_7617.JPG

IMG_7618.JPG

• Like 4
On 11/1/2017 at 10:08 AM, jahnje said:

Awesome.  I'm going to have my kids follow your kids as well. I wonder if we all should all tag our tanks that they are done by children. Like a by_kids tag or something?  I'm not a teacher, just a parent but this is such an awesome project we couldn't skip it. 

That's awesome!  Please encourage your kids to comment, I am sure my students would get a kick out of hearing from them! :D

• 5 weeks later...

We have begun “Aquarium Friday’s” in my classroom. We are dedicating Fridays to research and lessons related to reef aquariums. So far they have learned about clean up crews. My students are enjoying it!

27C1C0D8-7DAB-4079-A5B0-DF8C6085C6F2.jpeg

F9054788-5AA0-4307-A0FA-865EA4B5928C.jpeg

18C1C0FB-0C66-4B4B-8414-8D0A36A03C4D.jpeg

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...