Coral Vue Hydros

Classroom Pico - Check out the new creatures :)

hinnenkm

This will be the build thread for my classroom pico reef! I already have a Nuvo 20 running and when I announced to my kids that we would be participating in the contest, they were super excited! Please keep to appropriate comments as some of my students may or may not be doing the writing involved with this thread, thanks!

So, onto the reef... It took forever to decide what to use for our container, but the decision has finally been made and I realize some other people have gone with the same terrarium, but I loved the look of it and know that if I don't keep this running as a reef, it can be used for other purposes after the contest. 

Equipment: 

Terrarium

No name powerhead (came from a different 2 gallon tank I had set up)

Galaxyhydro 12W LED Bulb

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Looks pretty great!  I like the look of those terrariums and the hand-made character they have. 

Interesting you put it in a classroom!  What I great educational opportunity for the kids (what grade?).

20 hours ago, DevFishe said:

Really like that little wooden stand thing... that's awesome. 

Thanks, I really like the way the glass is shaped over the wood as well! It seems like a cool design, so we will see how it works as a pico :)

19 hours ago, ajmckay said:

Looks pretty great!  I like the look of those terrariums and the hand-made character they have. 

Interesting you put it in a classroom!  What I great educational opportunity for the kids (what grade?).

It will be exciting to get it running and really hoping to have students very much involved - they are 5th graders.

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Felicia said:

Hi!  Just a reminder to please pm me your November full tank shot (FTS) along with a link to your build thread by the end of the day on November 30th.

Thanks and will do sometime this weekend :)

13 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

How's this little pico going?

Thanks for asking! At this point it's still at my house, but has water, sand, rock, and some mangroves. I am a bit worried about the temps in the classroom over the weekends, but I will be bringing it to school on Monday or Tuesday. I have a small powerhead from a different tank that I am running in it and it's actually kept it pretty warm. I want to make sure things are stable before adding any other livestock :)

• Like 1
ChristopherDido

I just saw this! Fantastic idea, wish I'd have thought to do it in the classroom... Then again Christmas break is coming so that would be hard. Good luck!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, ChristopherDido said:

I just saw this! Fantastic idea, wish I'd have thought to do it in the classroom... Then again Christmas break is coming so that would be hard. Good luck!

Thanks! I am not too worried about the break as several of us teachers now have reef tanks - we take turns taking care of them over break :) Also, I am not going to make this a very complicated pico at all.... my thoughts are to put in macros and maybe some corals that are compatible with dwarf seahorses later on because I think that's the direction I'm leaning when this content ends..!

• Like 3

and proof that it is up and running :) The temp has been a steady 78 degrees with that little power head in there, but who knows what will happen when it gets into the classroom.... 

I’m still not quite sure which route I’m going to take as far as stocking this thing, but most likely I will grab some stuff from my classroom tank (I put myself on a coral budget until January because I spent too much at the last swap)! 

Thanks for looking and feel free to offer any comments or suggestions!

• Like 7
ChristopherDido
On 11/24/2017 at 7:43 PM, hinnenkm said:

Thanks! I am not too worried about the break as several of us teachers now have reef tanks - we take turns taking care of them over break :) Also, I am not going to make this a very complicated pico at all.... my thoughts are to put in macros and maybe some corals that are compatible with dwarf seahorses later on because I think that's the direction I'm leaning when this content ends..!

I like the seahorse idea... I'm trying to make mine a place for a pom pom crab to hang out! I'm cracking up though that you chose this as your container, same as I did and you have a nuvo 20 in a classroom like me. Are we twins? Lol

• Like 1
On 11/28/2017 at 10:25 AM, vlangel said:

Its darling!  The mangroves look real nice.  Hey I totally get being on a budget.  A lot of my coral came from my SH display.

Thank you :) I've had the mangroves for awhile, just haven't really done anything with them and I have covers on my other tanks, so.... the pico is where they went! I got a bunch of nice frags at the swap, which means yes, definitely have to budget for this thing. I did apply for a small grant to get some frags for the contest, but haven't heard anything back yet and am assuming I didn't get it... 

Hope you're having fun with this contest :)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ChristopherDido said:

I like the seahorse idea... I'm trying to make mine a place for a pom pom crab to hang out! I'm cracking up though that you chose this as your container, same as I did and you have a nuvo 20 in a classroom like me. Are we twins? Lol

The seahorses are super cool, you should try it! Also, the feeding seems like it will be a lot easier with the new feeding station by PJReefs. I am excited to get one of those for my Nuvo 10... and then maybe use it for dwarfs, but I'm leaning more towards erectus seahorses after winter break?! 

Also, we definitely think along the same lines as far as our tanks - not a bad thing! Hope your classroom tank is running smoothly!

• Like 2
7 hours ago, hinnenkm said:

The seahorses are super cool, you should try it! Also, the feeding seems like it will be a lot easier with the new feeding station by PJReefs. I am excited to get one of those for my Nuvo 10... and then maybe use it for dwarfs, but I'm leaning more towards erectus seahorses after winter break?! 

Also, we definitely think along the same lines as far as our tanks - not a bad thing! Hope your classroom tank is running smoothly!

If you go with erectus and you have questions, just let me know and I will try to help.  I have been keeping erectus for over 3 years.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, vlangel said:

If you go with erectus and you have questions, just let me know and I will try to help.  I have been keeping erectus for over 3 years.

Yes, you are definitely the expert and I appreciate the offer! I know it's not the same, but I've worked at a couple of local fish stores and have had seahorses off and on and I've definitely been involved with them, but it would be such a neat experience to have them all the time and I've always said they are my someday animal :)

So, if things work out, that is the route that I would like to go - I'll keep you posted!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank tank has been at school for a week now - finally ;) and things are doing well - although it's still just the mangroves, a small rock flower, and some xenia. The temp has been holding steady with the little pump that's in there and it really doesn't not lose much water to evaporation. I'll be interested to see how much it's lost when I go back in to school tomorrow.

Also, I had applied for a grant from our PTO (and included @damianita without telling her) and we were approved! Corals will be in the tank soon :):):) 

• Like 4
Just now, Christopher Marks said:

Congrats on the funding, that's exciting! Have you noticed much new growth on the mangroves yet?

Thanks! And to be honest, not much, they were in substandard conditions for quite awhile when I didn't have anywhere to put them and they've survived for quite a long time, but now that they are in a more stable 'system' with a more consistent light source, I am looking forward to seeing how things progress :)

• Like 2