Coral Vue Hydros

Harlequinn

Major Rookie alert! First reef ever, first pico ever, first contest entry ever! omgomgomg Over ambitious? Maybe :huh: scared I'll mess up? Hell Yea! :wacko:

The hobby caught my interest around a year back, thanks to @Shean and I've only learnt as much in theory about it. Super excited to get my hands dirty and learn more.

Equipment So far: 

• my 2 gallon oddly shaped jar that looks like a circus tent

• Power head for flow and movement 

• No heater needed considering I stay in India. Need I say more? 

• Hoping to receive our ABI tuna blue 12W lights soon since we had to get it shipped from the United States

Concerns:

• Getting our hands on equipment and corals since the hobby isn't as wide spread and supported in the country. 

• Clarity of the contents inside the jar due to the lovely shape I've chosen impulsively fingerscrossed

• Temperature control 

• Water Chemistry 

Will try and keep the updates as frequent as possible. Suggestions, criticism and tips more than needed and welcomed! :D

P.S: fav condiment? Maggie tomato ketchup because it's different ;)

1509464041724768387100.jpg

• Like 8

:welcome: to Nano-Reef!  Nifty tank!

10 hours ago, Shean said:

yeayy!!:haha: this is gonna be alot of fun!! congrats on your first ever aquarium. Also am guessing your the only international participant.. all the best babe! :wub: 

We have one participant from the Netherlands, and maybe a couple from Canada, but yes, international participants are few and far between!

• Like 3
15 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I love the container!

Also looks like a Christmas tree

thank you :) yea it does look like a Christmas tree.

13 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Welcome to the community @Harlequinn! This is a great way to dive into the hobby, you'll have lots of support along the way, especially with the contest! :) 

Thank you so much :) 

• 3 weeks later...

I know it's been a while since I've posted an update and I'm sorry but our family has been mourning a lost relative.

Neverthless, thrilled that the lights and salt have finally arrived. 

Lights: ABI tuna blue 12W bulb

Salt: Reef crystals 

15110004343731988429419.thumb.jpg.26966584f26fa48331823fb487651e00.jpg

1511000704494738761094.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I also mix with a pump that gives off some heat but I am mixing in a 56 gallon brute can.  It is always mixed by morning when I dump the salt in at night.  I use reef crystals.

• Thanks 1

Quick update on what's going on with moi petit cirque!

After struggling for an hour to find live rocks small enough that would pass through the tiny mouth of the jar, the shopkeeper was kind enough to let us get away with a couple of extra rocks in order to experiment with the structure. 20171125_215542.thumb.jpg.39fa47ce61b36e799e325e72aa141ef8.jpg

We finally settled for a minimalistic structure with a wider rock providing base support for the taller one that is meant to provide some height in terms of structure. My favorite part about the structure remains the tiny sand cove created at the bottom.

20171125_223605.thumb.jpg.be5bebe6898d130e1d9ed31b043afcd6.jpg

So i guess what i'm trying to say is that the stage is all set up and we'll be seeing our coraline performers joining us sometime soon next week :)

P.S: Thank you to everyone who left tips regarding the salt. Big help! 

15116940607871294602841.jpg

• Like 4