Cultivated Reef

reefer 170 and maxspect gyre 230

brianinak

I have a XF-130 with the XF-230 advanced controller. I'm running about 30% OGC setting and it's really great. My sand is a little bit dune like, but otherwise it's good!

so both both 130 and 230 have max flow 2300.  So what I am inferring is that same powerhead but different models, and that it works for your 170 just fine with some duning.

Thanks man

Yes. I'll be a little more wordy:

I have a RSR 170 with the XF-130 running about 30% max flow in OGC mode. Flow is plenty strong right now. I intend to keep a few anemones and once they stop wandering, SPS as well.

No dead spots, though my rockwork is pretty minimal. The sand dunes aren't too bad. I use Tropic Eden mesoflakes. I think if I used ReefFlakes it would stay put a little better. It gives me a reason to go in with a stick to stir up the sand to get it back down. 

I've tried with 20% max, and the sand stays, but I think the water flow is a bit low.

Overall, it's perfect for the tank. Check out my build if you wanna see it in action.

I sure will.  I have been reading your thread.  I am jealous of your water system and like the minimal rock work.  This is my first tank and would definitely do my rocks different.  I think I did too much, not super stable, live and you learn right.  

Thanks again for the info!

2 hours ago, brianinak said:

I sure will.  I have been reading your thread.  I am jealous of your water system and like the minimal rock work.  This is my first tank and would definitely do my rocks different.  I think I did too much, not super stable, live and you learn right.  

Thanks again for the info!

Never too late to change it up =)

I'm a big fan of minimal rock, it keeps the tank looking much bigger and less crowded. Also less dead spots. Bacterial filtration isn't really an issue, there's plenty still with even a small amount of rock and sand.

I can bump my rockwork pretty hard and it won't topple. I have a few pieces epoxied together, otherwise sitting very solidly on top of each other. My base pieces are actually Marco Rock Prime cuts, so one side is 100% flat (the part touching the glass). It's so much more stable and less likely to crack the bottom. I actually added my rock before sand so that the flat rocks are totally flush on the bottom.