Top Shelf Aquatics

New Here's Pico Tank

New_Here

So I am new to this forum. I do have some experience with fresh water, but this will be my first saltwater setup. I have been reading topics on these forums for a while and thought this contest would be a great reason to sign up and start posting myself. I am sure that I will have several questions to ask along the way.

I was at Target and found my container. I am just waiting for the rest of my equipment to arrive.

20171029_193325.jpg

Equipment:

LED bulb from amazon

Edited by New_Here
Added Equipment
  • Like 10

We have the same container! I think there is three people in the contest now with this container. It'll be really cool to see the different directions we each take them.

What bulb did you get for it? 

• Like 1

Welcome to Nano-Reef.com.

I know that people don't normally recommend a pico for a first tank; however, I think this contest might prove that wrong.  I think the key will be to change a large percentage of the water every week.  Your main challenges will be evaporation, flow, and heat.

For evaporation, I chose a jar with a lid.  But in your case, you might want to find a top (maybe glass plate or even a lid from another jar).  I'd check out Target again, and see what fits.  Otherwise, daily top offs will be an absolute must.

A small powerhead would provide flow, and a little heat.  If your room temperatures are pretty stable, this might solve two problems at once.  Otherwise, you could go with an air pump and heater.

It's nice that a couple other people have the same container as yours.  You might get some ideas from them.  Plus, there are more than 40 other picos to draw inspiration from.  Good luck, I hope you enjoy the experience!

• Like 1

Hey, welcome to N-R and also the world of saltwater.  I got my aquaria start in freshwater too.  Good luck on your new Pico and don't be afraid to ask questions. Lots of folks will be there to help.

Thanks everyone for making me feel welcome here. I am excited to see how this goes.

@seabass I was thinking about finding a round piece of glass for the lid. Thank you for the advice as well. It took me awhile to enter this contest for the very reason that this will be my first salt aquarium. I have been told several times that this will be difficult to maintain.

My bulb arrived today, and it is an 18 watt LED bulb that may be over powered for this bowl. I also have a Hydor Koralia 240 that I thought would work for this pico, but I am now thinking that this will be too much flow for this bowl. I do have an air pump that will work if this does become the case.

I will be looking for a heater to keep temps stable. 

Challenges:

The first is the most obvious, I am new to this.

Keeping this water volume (just over 2 gal) stable.

Getting the light height right to keep corals from bleaching.

Where bowl will be sitting will be visible from all angles, so how to hide equipment cords.

Expected Maintenance:

I plan on doing a 75% water change each week after the cycle.

I will top off with fresh water as needed.

I will be watching to see what everyone else who has the same container does. This is a neat bowl. I like that it sits on a base to raise it off of the shelf.

• Like 2

A Koralia will probably be way too much flow.  I'm using a little $8 pump I got on Amazon, it appears to be somewhat adjustable but it's providing good flow in my jar.  Of course I don't have a huge wall of rock either.

Oops sorry, here's the pump.

• Like 2

Welcome, and nice tank! I also started reefing with a pico, it's definitely not impossible and not as hard as you might think. The biggest issue I have found is salinity... even with two manual top-offs per day my salinity swings considerably. A lid would definitely help with that, but then temperature might become an issue. Best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't end up using the Koralia for flow. I took @Lula_Mae's advice and went with a small submersible fountain pump for flow. Which seems to be working well.

The next problem I have found is trying to find a fixture for my 18 watt par38 bulb that will safely work, and also have enough clearance above the top of the bowl.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...