Coral Vue Hydros

Baby Anemone?

Jaremiah25

Hello All ,

I have an anemone that i purchased a few months back and all has been for the most part ok with it . 

a few days ago i saw the tank and seen what appears to be a tiny baby anemonoe ..

is that possible?

i know that anemone split , and reproduce by spitting out eggs and sperm or what not lol

but im unsure of a single anenome having a baby anenome.. can anyone clarify this for me please

What kind of anemone do you have? 

Yes, Rock flower anemones have babies. Search for the Rock Flower Anemone Appreciation thread and you'll see some examples! 

It looks like what I think some people call ball anemones or even strawberry anemones. Pretty sure it's not a bubble tip.... although bubble tips can split, they usually end up bigger when they do.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Jaremiah25 said:

I also heard that they split . But is the splitting always in half ?  Or can they split into tiny anemones like this one? 

BTAs can split very asymmetrically.  I had a red split a couple of months ago.  One remained roughly the size of the original, about 6 inches across when open, while the other was only about 2 inches.  The little one is catching.  

The lfs has has a bta display tank with 2 specimens, each about 12 inches in diameter.  The are clones from last year’s split.  On Saturday on split into 4, while I was watching.  One of them is about 10 inches across, one is about 6 inches, and the other two just over 2 inches.  The sequence was that it first split into 2, then the smaller one split into two, and then the smaller of the second split, split into two of equal size.  The entire process took only about 45 minutes.  It was quite amazing to watch.

I have a couple of volunteer ball anemones, they are nice.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2017 at 10:23 PM, Jaremiah25 said:

So basically them splitting has nothing to do with them being stressed ? As I can’t imagine those anemones being stressed at your LFS

Stress can be a factor, but not always. In addition to splitting, they can also reproduce by budding, basically a small clone grows out from under the disk and is released.  This happened many times with one of my gbta's.