Innovative Marine Aquariums

Living Room Nano Peninsula

YHSublime

19 hours ago, Wiinberg said:

This looks great already.. Definitely following this one! A brand new Sunpower hanging like that is just sexy.

Thanks for following! I agree, hard to beat a brand new ATI, only thing missing is an XHO Reefbrite!

19 hours ago, Cmcd said:

Im new to all of this, gonna start up a reef tank really soon so decided to join up and this is the first post ive followed. Love the tank!!

Well, I'm honored! Looking forward to seeing what you setup! 

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly plumbed (sans return, which is rigged atm) 

Expect pictures like these until Janurary, while I add equipment, and let it cycle. 20lbs of live rock added to the sump, one rock into the display (up front) 20lbs of dead rock. 20lbs of Fiji Pink. 

38401359791_2533e605a7_h.jpg

38369948632_5f7f49af76_h.jpg

38369949472_d0c76cf0fb_h.jpg

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

That middle rock doe :o !! 

Thanks! The front rock will be removed, it's just filled with good stuff from a friends fuge. I plan on keeping a Pectinia up front.

3 hours ago, skrist said:

Looks really good. Love the base rock

Thanks! I wanted to make sure I was happy with it before I started this tank. My last tank I cycled I was super unimpressed with the base rock, and it killed the whole thing for me. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well. Although the pictures don't do it any justice in changes, there has been a lot going on. 

I re did the return. Now the gasket is on the inside of the tank, like it should have been. No more drips. I've had a dish towel wrapped around it, so it's a relief to have off my plate and not worry about it anymore. 

I had an ATO, just had not installed it yet, so got that taken care of tonight. Seems pretty accurate (Tunze) so I'm relieved to not have to remember to add water every couple of days or so. 

Finally put the reef octopus online. Maybe just to see how it would do? I don't think I need it yet, but this is by far, the easiest skimmer I've ever adjusted. It's already pulling out gunk, and I have it set to skim suuuuuper dry. 

Added loc-line to the return. Just a small change, but one of those things I needed all the right parts for. 

The doors are ready now, but I have to go pick them up and put them on. I've gotten super used to just having an open stand. 

37803910155_2e98a8af44_h.jpg

37803914805_1e36d3c3d2_h.jpg

37803917245_aa88999fc2_h.jpg

38635522296_52ae112bfc_h.jpg

26915713599_a4b3c0421b_h.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Very cool. I really like the peninsula tanks. I recently moved my Fusion 20 between my two couches and love that I can sit and relax while watching the tank. Great job on it all.

17 hours ago, Jessy-Ray said:

Seriously cool

Thanks!

10 hours ago, AnonymousRfr said:

Very cool. I really like the peninsula tanks. I recently moved my Fusion 20 between my two couches and love that I can sit and relax while watching the tank. Great job on it all.

First peninsula tank for me. Enjoying it so far, but I agree, the best view is the view from the couch. Thanks!

23 minutes ago, Rehype said:

Looks really good love the frag selection. Any plans for biofiltration?

Thanks! I'm planning on mostly zoanthid dominated, but I always end up mixed reef. 

Running a skimmer, and a fuge, so the sump is filled with live rock, cheato, and a couple cups of sand from other reefers aquariums that I also used to seed the tank. We will see what happens with all of it. 

54 minutes ago, Justind823 said:

Nice setup!

How're you liking the Eclipse S overflow? I plumbed mine a few days ago.

Thanks!

I started the hobby with dursos, but I quickly decided that commercial overflows took up WAY to much space. Then I found the bean animal, and I promised myself I'd never run a tank any other way. Now, running the durso style, I have to say I'm 100% satisfied. There's not a lot of information on the Eclipse overflows, and I was really worried the water level was going to be super low. I considered gluing some acrylic on the inside of the weirs, but after adding water and plumbing, there's no need (especially on a rimless!) If the water level was any higher, it'd be splashing out. The profile is super shallow, and it looks real clean. There was a company on Ebay called modular marine, who are no longer making overflows, and the Eclipse S was the only commercially available overflow I could drill on the end of the tank in order to keep it peninsula style. It's quiet as all can be as well. My biggest complaint is now I can hear my ATI fan all too well. My only regret is that I drilled it directly aligned with the lip of the tank, and the very corner, so if I ever put a lid on it, one corner won't quite fit. 

58 minutes ago, Moolelo said:

Love the urchin, best choice for cleanup!

Thanks! This was passed to me from a local club member, and I figured it'd help take care of some of the algae growing during/after the initial cycle. It's kind of a pain in the ass, as it picks up frags and drops them, but mostly just gives them a lift around the tank. Can't find a lot of information on the white urchin, no idea where they got it from!

22 minutes ago, silvertoe said:

This build is making my man parts feel warm and fuzzy. 

My work here is done. 

That's good to hear you say it's quiet! Mine isn't super loud but not as quiet as I'd like it. I think I just need to build a real durso standpipe and not just a whatever one with PVC crap I had laying around. 

Just now, Justind823 said:

That's good to hear you say it's quiet! Mine isn't super loud but not as quiet as I'd like it. I think I just need to build a real durso standpipe and not just a whatever one with PVC crap I had laying around. 

I plumbed it herbie style. There is a gate valve on the one full drain. The drain with the PVC in it (Emergency drain) takes a trickle (up for debate on this, but not here to argue.) I don't think you should have to run a durso standpipe to get it quiet.

28 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

I plumbed it herbie style. There is a gate valve on the one full drain. The drain with the PVC in it (Emergency drain) takes a trickle (up for debate on this, but not here to argue.) I don't think you should have to run a durso standpipe to get it quiet.

Ah gotcha, I read that as you were running a durso. Well I have a valve setup on the overflow so it's easy enough to switch over. I was having trouble dialing the herbie in and ended up throwing a durso together with parts I had around.