Cultivated Reef

Living Room Nano Peninsula

YHSublime

Indiana Reefin

I love this tank! I would love to have a setup like this in my office some day. Right now I have a standard 29 gallon which is nice but not as sleek as your setup. 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Indiana Reefin said:

I love this tank! I would love to have a setup like this in my office some day. Right now I have a standard 29 gallon which is nice but not as sleek as your setup. 

Thanks for the kind words! You can definitely do it, the planning stages took a long time though!

The days of the T5 are behind us, although not sure if it's for good or not! These LED's are bright, less heat, we will see what growth looks like. Coincidentally, I've started to dose as well, so lots of changes in the past week. My alk dropped down to 6, and now seems to be back on a healthy path of 9'ish. 

I put filter socks back on. They've already filled up, and I should grab some more. I detest nothing more than cleaning filter socks. I replaced my ATO pump, so it's nice to not being doing top offs by hand. I just need to grease up the doser tubes and get around to hooking up the Apex and we're off to the races. 

43996013832_84f9ce48f8_h.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Justind823 said:

Looking great!

What kind of LEDs did you go with?

Thanks! A lot of changes still. 

87 (3W) LED's. 

10 Royal blue Cree 1000mA
5 Neutral White Cree 1000mA
2 405nm violet Exotic brand 750mA
2 430nm violet Exotic brand 750mA
4 Cool blue Cree 750mA
3 660nm deep red Exotic brand 750mA
3 cyan Exotic brand 750mA

4092 Channels. 

Was built by a local club member and run on a 75 gallon. Will go over my 22 gallon. It's way overkill, but I'll never have to run it at full capacity, and I think I'll see all the growth I need, without the heat. 

Here is a video of me playing around with it from 0-100 after I got everything wired up.

• Like 1
Well, not much has changed, still trying to dial in my consumption, still have to get the doser programmed. Still have to install the Apex. BUT, I did get the frag racks down, so there's that. 

43445451164_b117fba2db_h.jpg
  • Like 4
Got the doser online this evening. A fixed up/used Bubble Magus. I tested all the pumps and ran RO through everything, so I think it's going to be just fine. I didn't test for consistency, but I'm not dosing enough to have to worry about huge fluctuations knowing my consumption. I wasn't able to find some dosing containers for underneath my stand, but I did clean out a 1 gallon chocolate milk jug that fits just right! 

I removed the felt filter socks (absolute garbage, no way to get those things clean) and have replaced them with some different low grade micron filter socks that will be much better. Now it's the waiting game. Here's a picture from this evening:

44265673502_9aa5c34483_h.jpg
  • Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks great! I like the build and the clean bare bottom look. I've had the same problem with dealing with coralline algae on the glass bottom though, in my 30g tank. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Looks great! I like the build and the clean bare bottom look. I've had the same problem with dealing with coralline algae on the glass bottom though, in my 30g tank. 

Thanks for checking it out! Bare bottom was a good choice for this build, the corals are starting to fill in and speak for themselves, sometimes I forget there's not sand! 

• Like 1

Some SPS shots, right after feeding, hence the closed up polyps. Definitely can get better shots from the top vs the sides. 

WD - looking boring:

44774099721_e27c59c0d8_h.jpg

Pink Cadillac right side. Some milli top center, and then center green tennius.

42963311780_cff9c31ba8_h.jpg

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, skyscraper2290 said:

This is a gorgeous tank! Great work! Are you having to siphon out a lot of stuff from the BB frequently? Definitely following to watch this grow in.

Thanks for the kind words! There's not a lot to siphon out off the bottom, and most of the waste accumulates in the same area, so it makes for easy cleaning! What I'll do is use a siphon into my filter sock, and hit it about once a week. The maddening part, is one of my rocks is some type of silicate, and the hermits will pick it off while cleaning. It's like a never ending teeny tiny pile of sand that I never ever fully get rid of! 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I see it everyday, so I don't notice. But things are growing. Fast. Realized my doser wasn't dosing. Have replacement heads on the way. All testing for naught, so I'm just throwing in 5oz of each ESV part a day. I'll stop that, take numbers and test for a day or two, and then hook doser up again. Added some more ricordea from my "frag tank" sump, didn't do any cleaning up for photos. As you can see, the GSP needs trimming. 

43273982610_94690ceb86_h.jpg

43273982280_d4fa6a3e60_h.jpg

• Like 6
5 hours ago, k4ndyk1ng said:

Looks amazing with great growth

Thanks for checking it out! 

3 hours ago, vlangel said:

Very nice YHSublime.  I had not checked in for a while and this tank is maturing nicely.

Thanks for coming back! Finally starting to fill in!

3 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Just popping in and catching up, looks fantastic 🙂 

Thanks! Hopefully more pictures than words!

What I really like since I came back is you moving your frag racks to the sump.  Now your display is so clean with nothing intrusive taking away from its natural beauty.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, vlangel said:

What I really like since I came back is you moving your frag racks to the sump.  Now your display is so clean with nothing intrusive taking away from its natural beauty.

That's also something I've been enjoying myself! I wanted to take the time to find a place for everything on the racks on the rock or floor. This was deliberate, because it also helped me figure out what I was going to keep and what I wasn't. The only thing on the racks in the sump now are either Ricoreda from another club member that bleached in their tank that are recovering, or zoanthids that for one reason or another wern't getting their needs met in the DT. I've also knocked off pieces of SPS, and instead of just chucking them, I'll mount small nubs that crack off when I clean the glass and what not, and have started growing them out as well. 

5 hours ago, --chris-- said:

Very sharp setup!  Its giving me ideas, well done!

I'm glad it could be an inspiration! Thanks for checking it out! 

• Like 1