Coral Vue Hydros

Living Room Nano Peninsula

YHSublime

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, broke out the DSLR. No more sand. No more carpet. It was moving around far too much, making me nervous about clogging my very tiny overflow. Minimal algae on the glass (sans bottom) and I'm starting to see coraline on the bottom already. Everything goes to plan, the bottom will be a zoa grow out as well. GSP kind of just sat in the corner, starting to take off, will need to move it soon. 

26906702428_7e99d9a2c3_h.jpg

40776586031_480d0e026f_h.jpg

39882009715_efd7ccc290_h.jpg

26906687828_0817a23824_h.jpg

• Like 3
pappadumplingz

Tank is looking great mate, have always wanted to do a "long" peninsula tank. Although I love sand, went bare bottom too for maintenance purposes. Looked ugly at first, w/ algae growing on the glass, but after I upped the flow, it allowed for the detritus to be carried off the bottom. Would recommend upping the flow if algae ever becomes an issue.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, pappadumplingz said:

Tank is looking great mate, have always wanted to do a "long" peninsula tank. Although I love sand, went bare bottom too for maintenance purposes. Looked ugly at first, w/ algae growing on the glass, but after I upped the flow, it allowed for the detritus to be carried off the bottom. Would recommend upping the flow if algae ever becomes an issue.

Thanks for the kind words! Yeah, it's been a dream as well, but it does come with it's own set of challenges. My return pump is overpowered, and I didn't put anything on the plumbing to dial it down. The sand was blowing off the front and into the back, and just the way the corals are settling, were getting agitated, or blasted with flow. I also love the look of sand, but understand this will be a temporary "look" until about 3 months from now when I can't even see the floor! 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Without the sand in the bottom it's looking a little bit empty. I'm definitely able to see the places all the stuff builds up though. It's mostly in the back side of the tank. I also had a little bit of cyano break out around the zoas, and I chalked it up to flow. I ended up turning on the MP10, and it seems like it's making a big difference. 

We had the windstorm and snow a few weeks back, and I lost power for 2.5 days. I only lost two pieces of SPS, unfortunately one of them was the Flame Fox. Luckily things are coming back strong.

I've collected a few more anemones, but think I'm going to go ahead and move into a Colorado Sunburst once I find a nice one! Zoanthids are growing fast, and SPS is encrusting and growing as well as coloring up. 

39137308590_ae546bb42e_h.jpg

• Like 5
10 hours ago, rockryno said:

nice job

Thanks for checking it out!

9 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Love the colors! 

Thanks! Usually I end up with all green, trying to balance things out a little bit across the board!

5 hours ago, k4ndyk1ng said:

Looking very nice.

Thank you!

2 hours ago, Ranjib said:

Gorgeous tank, as usual

Haha, thanks! Much appreciated!

Loving the tank sir! I have a 20g IM peninsula and I'm about to move houses and will use that as an excuse to rescape. Your tank here is an inspiration and providing some nice vision! 

10 minutes ago, jstj0sh said:

Loving the tank sir! I have a 20g IM peninsula and I'm about to move houses and will use that as an excuse to rescape. Your tank here is an inspiration and providing some nice vision! 

Thanks! I just checked your build out, enjoy the new place, and keep us updated!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, YHSublime said:

Thanks! I just checked your build out, enjoy the new place, and keep us updated!

Thanks so much! You do the same B)

What are your honest feelings about having the tank bare bottom? 

On 3/22/2018 at 4:33 PM, jstj0sh said:

Thanks so much! You do the same B)

What are your honest feelings about having the tank bare bottom? 

Sorry, little late getting back here!

I really love the look of sand. I do. I appreciate sand, I want sand, the way I have this particular tank is not configured for sand. I can only set my powerhead in particular areas because of the way the overflow box and return comes in, and being a peninsula, flow from front to back was more important than having sand bundle up on the back side of the tank. Now I have a lot more room for corals, and the glass is already covered in algae, and some of it is coraline already. It wont be long till the barebottom is just a coral bottom! 

• 1 month later...
YHSublime

Well, it's been a while since I updated here, so I'll try to think of all the changes. I acquired some Black Widow Anemones. I got rid of a lot of stuff that was on the floor, well, most of it. I kept my ricordea rock. SPS is encrusting and growing, so are the zoanthids. Pretty happy with the way things are going, anyways, here are some pictures. 

41750812231_c1c9b42485_k.jpg

28028148248_a7348b09d7_k.jpg

26882433047_0181160ebc_k.jpg

41750811271_1b992e90df_k.jpg

26882433537_00ce57100a_k.jpg

• Like 6
On 5/10/2018 at 8:17 PM, Reefkid88 said:

I leave for a few months,and everything still looks absolutely amazing !!! 

Welcome back, and thanks for checking it out! 

It's coming along, patiently waiting for some coraline to get a hold of the glass bottom. 

• 2 weeks later...

Oh I'm not back,just checking in !!! Have you thought about scraping some coralline off of some rocks to spur some growth ? 

On 5/28/2018 at 7:37 PM, Reefkid88 said:

Oh I'm not back,just checking in !!! Have you thought about scraping some coralline off of some rocks to spur some growth ? 

Nope. It'll take a hold when it's ready to take a hold. I'm pretty hands off at this stage, sans feeding. I have an Apex that's been sitting on my counter, need to set that up. Had a few additions, a Valentini Puffer being one of them. Polyp extention has gone from what was lush to nada. I think I'm going to get rid of all the fish again except for the clowns. 

Morning shot:

41572004155_f22e11179b_h.jpg

• Like 5
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You can just send the apex my way if you're not using it 😉

The tank is looking good. Any warfare between the new and old nems? Those black widow btas have such great coloration.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2018 at 2:14 PM, Justind823 said:

You can just send the apex my way if you're not using it 😉

The tank is looking good. Any warfare between the new and old nems? Those black widow btas have such great coloration.

HA. I actually ended up putting it up FS, there's a ton of other places I'd like to use that money! I can do everything I need with a timer strip, but that's the old soul in me. 

I appreciate it, it ebbs and flows. Right now I'm just battling algae. Not any particular terrible horrible no good type, but the type that just coats my glass if I don't scrape it every single day. I'm slowly getting some coraline on the floor, but mostly the same algae I believe I'm seeing on the glass, the kind that if I could peel it up from a mat, I could dry out and serve as nori. I honestly believe this is just due to a high bioload, and probably about a total of 30 gallons of water. I've stopped running my whites, and I'm only on 2 bulbs (coral blue) on the tank. I vac'd the sump out, and cleared up some of the rubble and LR, but would eventually like to put a higher output light down there and do frags. 

The nems are not wild, so I haven't seen anything in terms of warfare, they seem to get along just fine. The black widows are my faves, if I can't pay to play in the CSB game, I can at least enjoy the finer things in life! 

As soon as I clean it, it's dirty again. Oh well, I guess as long as things are growing! I turned the white back on for these photos, but I have been running just blues for a long long long time now, or else I get crazy algae. 

41649257800_afc7ed18e6_h.jpg

41649256500_11d3b40a5d_h.jpg

42740949074_e62bf4bc0e_h.jpg

42740948194_69e0ed1b5c_h.jpg[

This is now down to my two clowns. I'm hoping this will eventually, with water changes, bring things to a balance. I had quite a few fish and I was feeding heavy prior. I have thought about passively running carbon, but I would like to do this as naturally as possible. 

• 3 weeks later...

So here's the guy that wasn't going to do any SPS. 

So early 2018 there was the wind storms that took power down, and I was out of power for almost 3 days. Ironically, the slimers didn't fair well, here is a list of acro, what's demised, and what lives.

OId Acro List and what happened:

Green Slimer (The great power outage of early 2018)

Purple Slimer (The great power outage of early 2018)

Reef Gen Cerulean Blue Stag(The great power outage of early 2018)

Joe the Coral(knocked off the plug and found way too late)

1.) Forrest Fire Digi

2.) Walt Disney

Fox Flame(My tank wasn't ready and this was a sensitive, and fresh fragged acro.)

3.) Strawberry Shortcake

4.) PC Rainbow

5.) Sunset Millie

6.) Tri-Color

7.) Green Tenuis

8.) Cali Tort

9). Setossa 

Some recent acquisitions (listed here so I can come back and hopefully figure out what's what)

10.) RR Pink Cadillac

11.) JF Fox Flame - I couldn't resist

12.) Golden Millie

13.) Yellow/gold acro

14.) RR Excalibur Millie

15.) RR Acid Trip Millie

16.) Cherry Corals Watermelon Millie

17.) ASD Rainbow Millie

18.) RR Event Horizon Millie  

19.) Unknown blue wild with yellow polyps

20.) Cornbread Purple Planet

21.) DCAquaculture Millie

I'm missing some, and after typing it out, realized that I also have Reeftech Starburst Monti, a blue Pocci Birdsnest, and a Rainbow Pocci Birdsnest. Oh, and I found my pink lemonade, it's doing fine!

Well, this 22 gallons is not going to last long with just water changes, so I've got a doser, I'm increasing my water volume, and I'm going to start weeding out what's working and what's not. Also coming is I'm turning the middle sump section into a frag area, which will help me clean up my display. Stay tuned. 

43854187911_b29474c749_h.jpg

29984836868_eaee5d6234_h.jpg

43854186951_e2d40e829f_h.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 1