Top Shelf Aquatics

Living Room Nano Peninsula

YHSublime

Hey Nano-Reef's. Long time lurker, first time poster. 

I've been through all sorts of sized reef tanks, from a 5 gallon Fluval Edge, all the way up to a 180. This time around I've decided to go with something more appropriately sized: Mr. Aqua 22 Long. Surprisingly, there is not a lot of information on them out there, or at least builds, so I hope this will at least help somebody out there make some informed decisions, and bring some enjoyment as well!

Now I wanted to re-scape, as well as get all this moved out, so I could just keep one tank, here's my Biocube 14:

38047841101_e66be86e32_h.jpg

Originally I had come across an old PicoReef III, which probably would have been fine, but I was getting bored, and didn't like the aquascape, when locally a Mr. Aqua 22 long popped up FS. I pulled the trigger, and picked it up within 24 hours. The original owner ended up getting an AIO insert installed from Ocean Box Design, and while that was a really cool idea, it took up way to much real estate for my liking.

36074031344_3aaa78b045_h.jpg

36074031004_3a64b2f0fd_h.jpg

My solution? Drill, and add a sump that was bigger than the tank! But first I had to find an overflow that I wanted. I spent a lot of time looking at Glass Holes, but ended up going with an Eshopps S Eclipse overflow. 

23509584168_67d6ac3bb6_h.jpg

36691454203_07453505a4_h.jpg

Meanwhile, I had a local club member building a stand for me. I wanted something that was going to fit right by my couch, but also new I was going to run it peninsula style. I had an old piece of red oak I was doing a failed project with, filling the cracks with silicone and glow in the dark powder, so I gave it to him and told him to use it if he could. It ended up being the top of the tank, so it has a nice live edge on the wood. I just picked it up last night, doors are coming later, but here's how everything is sitting for now.

24194358228_b68100be2e_h.jpg

26270497229_6fa116876c_h.jpg

24194358598_005f4d648c_h.jpg

26270496249_e2ba052065_h.jpg

The bottom is holding a Trigger Systems Ruby 36 sump, and there is a Reef Octopus 110 int setup to handle the 45 gallons of total water. I have an XHO Reefbrite that I'm going to mount over the sump for the fuge, as well as lighting in the bottom. I'll have one MP10 for flow underneath the overflow in the back. I'm anticipating a zoanthid dominated display, but will probably end up doing a mix of everything. Here is a picture of one of my small candy racks:

38047839781_33597852b2_h.jpg

Thanks for reading!

• Like 15
  • Wow 5

looking great so far, i love the Mr. Aqua 12 and 22 Longs.  i'll be following along!

i'm also loving the acan on the left side, second one down.

keep the updates coming

1 hour ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

looking great so far, i love the Mr. Aqua 12 and 22 Longs.  i'll be following along!

i'm also loving the acan on the left side, second one down.

keep the updates coming

Thanks for tagging along. I'm also a big fan of the Mr. Aqua's. I really like the 12, but the 22 is really just the right amount of space. 

That's funny, out of an acan pack I purchased, I think that's the most boring one! Once I get everything transferred over, and who knows when that will be, I'll be able to get some significantly better pictures. The beveled edges on the 14 and the cover make for many complications. 

4 minutes ago, Rene said:

This doesn't even have corals in it yet and it's lovely. Good job on the rockwork. 

Thanks for the kind words! It just needs some sand!

34 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

where did you get the acan pack from?

also what fish is swimming above them?  any plans for livestock in the 22 yet?

Local club.

There are a few fish in there. There is a Cardinal Fish in there, a Spotted Mandarin, and a Blue Damsel. I think it's the damsel above in the picture. The tank is mostly LPS, so I feed real heavy. It's packed right now, hence the move. 

No stocking plans for the 22. I wont be bringing the mandarin over, I'm not really attached to the other two fish. The damsel is pretty active, and actually came with a bunch of live rock I ended up getting. I know they are notorious A-holes, but we've had a good run. Any fish suggestions? 

6 minutes ago, Type-H20 said:

Great looking start.  You're right, you don't see too much on the Mr. Aqua 22L, but its a beautiful tank.  Is that the low iron or standard glass?  

Thanks! I've always enjoyed them, but most of the builds I was searching for for ideas either fizzled, or just didn't exist. There's a little more info with the 12 gallons. I'm pretty sure it's standard, is there a way to tell? 

Just now, YHSublime said:

Thanks! I've always enjoyed them, but most of the builds I was searching for for ideas either fizzled, or just didn't exist. There's a little more info with the 12 gallons. I'm pretty sure it's standard, is there a way to tell? 

When you ordered the tank you would have had to pick, unless you got it used.

1 hour ago, Type-H20 said:

When you ordered the tank you would have had to pick, unless you got it used.

Yeah, I got it used, or else I probably would have picked the low iron!

9 hours ago, mbarton2010 said:

Where is the return going to be? Are you going to drill it? I’d do a lily pipe return

I'm going to drill it. I'm dropping the drains (Herbie) down to the front of the tank. The return will be a straight shot up. I'll be drilling through the top of the tank x2 one inch holes, and x1 three quarters for the return. 

Looking amazing Isaac, I can't wait to see it filled!

Also, I need to get my hands on a polyp of those Bowsers, they look amazing. Let me know when they are ready to frag. I have a polyp or two of Mohawks coming your way very soon. :naughtydance:

2 hours ago, schgr.cube said:

Looking amazing Isaac, I can't wait to see it filled!

Also, I need to get my hands on a polyp of those Bowsers, they look amazing. Let me know when they are ready to frag. I have a polyp or two of Mohawks coming your way very soon. :naughtydance:

WORLDS COLLIDING. 

Sweet, looking forward to it. I've gotta get this thing rolling before the Biocube bursts, lol. 

Placed an order last night, waiting on the following:

One 35mm Drill bit (for the return)
One 3/4" SlipxSlip bulkhead (for the return)
1 55" length of 3/4 red tubing (for the return)
3 55" length of 3/4 red tubing (for the drain)
1 1" SlipxSlip gate valve (for the drain)
All the appropriate elbows (for return and drain)
4 felt filter socks, for the drain, don't know if this will be something I use continuously. 
20lb bag of Fiji Pink Sand. I went with this as my usual go. I thought about doing black sand for a bit.
Neotherm 150W heater

Filled the tank up with saltwater and it's cycling the current rock. 

i really like your viewing couch too

unfortunately my current setup does not allow my tank to be RIGHT next to my couch like that, but my last tank did and everyone loved it.  that spot was never unoccupied!

13 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

Oh this is gonna be good !!! Definitely following along. 

Thanks for tagging along! 

13 hours ago, Halo_003 said:

Looks awesome. It definitely looks like Low Iron based on what my 12L Low Iron looked like.

Thank you! That's sweet if I ended up with a low iron, I think I'll keep it either way!

13 hours ago, Biglex said:

This is a beautiful set up! Cat wait to see what it looks like when it’s filled up

Thank you very much! I'm also looking forward to seeing what it looks like!

12 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

i really like your viewing couch too

unfortunately my current setup does not allow my tank to be RIGHT next to my couch like that, but my last tank did and everyone loved it.  that spot was never unoccupied!

Thanks! I actually designed this entire setup to be the length of the couch, and fit the width of the rest of the wall, with the intention of watching the tank from the corner (my favorite spot) of the couch. The TV is in the same room, but it's hardly on, I have a lot of other hobbies that keep me perpetually moving and busy, like brewing beer! And the loves of my life:

Thor24126566048_edb9f0eada_k.jpg

Thor forgot to put his lipstick away.

12 hours ago, Ranjib said:

Great setup . Following along 

Thank you! 

• Like 7
1 hour ago, brad908 said:

Only took you 4+ years to finally get on here. :)

Haha, sup' man. Yeah, I figured it was finally appropriate. As you can see, I just went and got the light I wanted for a while. 

1 hour ago, MedievalITGuy said:

That's a nice looking tank and stand! I can't wait to see what you do with it.

Thanks! I can't take credit for either one of those things, except maybe the layout. I'm also really looking forward to seeing how stocking turns out. 

24 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

awesome build so far!  can't wait to see it stocked.  

Thanks! I'm trying to really stick to things that I want to keep, and can grow well. I think the sump being bigger than the DT will help when it comes time to throw some acros in.