Cultivated Reef

Jebao DP-4 Dosing Pump Corrosion

rsucre

Hi.  

The motors of my Jebao DP-4 Dosing Pump are corroding.  Of the 4 pumps/heads, the 2 that are being used for dosing vinegar are the only ones getting their motor pins corroded.  I'm guessing that somehow, a little bit of the vinegar gets its way out of the head tubing and into the motor pin.  Nothing is wet in there...  So it must be very little or even some kind of fume, gas or exudation.

Anyone experienced this?  Any ideas of what could be happening?  

Also, if you are dosing vinegar via dosing pump, I would like to know which dosing pumps are you using without issue (let's say for a year+).

Thanks.

No, I've never seen that, I'd replace the tube personally. If the corrosion is bad I'd replace the motor as well.  You can get both on ebay (head + plastic assy) for about £16, probably even cheaper in the States.

Just remember to recalibrate that channel afterwards.

On 10/31/2017 at 3:11 AM, ajm83 said:

No, I've never seen that, I'd replace the tube personally.

Hi Ajm, do you dose vinegar with the dosing pump?  I want to know if the fact that I'm using it to dose vinegar could be the cause.  Don't want to replace the motors, just to find out that it happens again.

16 minutes ago, rsucre said:

Hi Ajm, do you dose vinegar with the dosing pump?  I want to know if the fact that I'm using it to dose vinegar could be the cause.  Don't want to replace the motors, just to find out that it happens again.

I do indeed dose vinegar with mine and haven't noticed any leaks.  I'll pull that head apart on it tonight and double check for you. 

Only thing I have noticed is that I occasionally get air bubbles in the lines.  Really can't understand how it happens.

7 hours ago, ajm83 said:

I do indeed dose vinegar with mine and haven't noticed any leaks.  I'll pull that head apart on it tonight and double check for you. 

Thank you.  

I also get some air bubbles, but no big deal.  I guess it could be the vinegar itself that reacts in some way.  The tubing gets whitish with the vinegar, in my case.

5 hours ago, ajm83 said:

I checked, no corrosion on mine. Guess you must have a tiny leak somewhere in the pipe. 

Thanks.  I cleaned the corrosion as much as I could and then replaced the pump heads with new ones that hopefully do not have a leak.  Hope that the corroded motors keep working for some good time.