Coral Vue Hydros

JBolt's first reef, new begining JBJ NC24

JBolt

So long story short I adopted a crashing nano cube and all was lost.  Time for a fresh start.  I kept the stock hood and lights but got new bulbs, one of the fans was out so I upgraded both fans with overcool 60mm I also turned them to pull air in rather than to push it out (airflow observation made that a no brainer).  I customised the return system a bit, I added a sicce multi 1300 to replace stock pump I then drilled a return line for the stock pump to come out of chamber 2 and flow is nice and slow to hit the back corners, it sits In chamber one so water goes through the whole aio sump. I went with reef cleaners dry rock and ended up with about 30lb of beautiful light rocks.  I went with 30lb of aragonite oolite and a 3lb fully cured live rock from lfs.  I tossed it in last night and immediately had a few tufts of red algea/coraline? This morning the tufts dissipated a bit and gave way to a little dark pebble making a ring around it (see photo) anyways that is all the excitement I have had so far.  I hope that as I post my experiences and photos other reefers could chime in and help me understand what is happening, and give recommendations, advice, and knowledge.  Thanks for letting be be a part of the community!

The day I took possession 

20170927_182538.jpg

Rerouted pump, the other one sits above it and returns to the same spot the original did but i drilled it for 3/8 bulkhead and put a 3/8 to 1/2 split.

20171025_184419.jpg

Aquascape

20171018_170754.jpg

This is tuft attached to the dry rock on the opposite side of the tank almost instantly like 5 minutes after I added the live rock

20171028_161518.jpg

20171028_161543.jpg

This one found a spot on the sand bed

20171028_194458.jpg

The next morning (today 10-29-17)

20171029_112735.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Day 12, making some progress ammonia down from 6ppm to 1, nitrites up to 10  and nitrate 140ppm.  Also ditched the too hot stock pump for a lower watt tunze pump now pulling a total of about 550gph total through the AIO sump and the over flow with adjusted surface skimmer and in tank media basket handle it just fine with no water level problems or slurping sounds just a light trickle noise when lid is open.

20171112_112350.jpg

20171112_112359.jpg

20171112_112452.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

24 days down, getting ready to add a few members of my clean up crew, any recommendations on what to add first?  I would like to start slow a few hermits or a few snails just don't know what would be more beneficial. Looking at dwarf blue legs and spiny astreas stars.

2841.jpeg

2842.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Time for an update, so the "cool" red tufts i thought was coraline (I'm so smart) was actually cyanobacteria.  During the initial cycle the the cyano appeared then disappeared then diatoms on the sandbed, then diatoms disappeared and cyano took over in force this time along side gha covering everything rocks/sandbed.  That was about the time I figured out that the "red stuff" was bad.  I have since added a 9001 dc skimmer, purigen, phosgaurd, and a dc controllable jabeo pump (sicce multi 1300 seemed to be defected and generates bubbles).  I have sucked almost all cyano out and it's return rate has lowered gerastically, also pulled most the gha and upped the cuc with 9 nassurrius snails, one more blue leg hermit, and a limpet but now a second diatom bloom is starting. A week after that I added a really cool cardnalfish who is starting to show his little personality coming out more often.

20171231_100322.jpg